4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but short on features
Firstly, it should be said that this is a high end modem router and is designed for use with a dial-up telephone line based adsl internet service and not for use with a cable or external modem.

This router has a modern and up to date appearance, stylish and suitably high tech and will look well on any work desk or even in the living room.

The wizard...

Published 9 months ago by John

3.0 out of 5 stars How-to Fix vDSL connection issues- Update, 8 Aug. 2014
Important update, please read below
-----------------------------------

I have owned this router for over a week and been having a hell of a time with the DSL ping and speed. I search everywhere online on how to resolve x2 higher ping (from 15ms to 30ms) without success. Firstly you must remember that any new router will face the dreaded DLM ( Dynamic Line Management - https://ttb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/651/~/dlm-%28dynamic-line-management%29 ) that can last week(s) finding the optimum speed. But anyway, here are the things to help.

Here's how to improve speed and decrease ping:

1. Update firmware

2. [wireless] settings
a) Disable [WPS] (security risks)
b) 2.4 GHz
i) Disable [b/g Protection]
ii) Set [Channel bandwidth] to [20 mhz]
iii) Set [Control Channel] to one of [1, 6, 11]
c) 5 GHz (Dont touch)
3. [WAN] settings
a) Disable [uPNP] (security risks)
b) Set [Connect to DNS Server automatically?] to [no] and add [8.8.8.8] and [8.8.4.4] to DNS Server 1 and 2 (Google Public DNS).
c) !important part! Set [MTU] to [1442] and [TCP MSS Option] to [1400] (Improve ping and connection speed).

4. [Advanced] settings, select [DSL Setting] tab
a) Set [DSL Modulation] to [VDSL2] (vDSL line)
b) Set [Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (VDSL)] to [performance].

I couldn't be more than happier now, extremely fast and great WiFi range/speed! Good luck!

----------------------------------------

Update: 2014-09-16

Unfortunately I've found my vDSL connection dropping again and with the recent DLM effects my connection speed has dropped from 48Mbps to 20Mps. Looked at Asus wireless forum and it seems others are experiencing the same. Follow [vdslhelp] posts, I'm hoping my DSL speeds return to normal. It seems the DSL-N66U isn't ready for vDSL yet, due to firmware issues..?

When the DSL-N66U had a connection, the download/upload speed were slightly faster. The upload had increased from 12Mbps to 16Mbps, but my ping had increased from 15 to 30 back to 20 in addition to this I was experiencing a lot more CRC errors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but short on features, 23 May 2012
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus DSL-N55U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router, 802.11n, Gigabit Lan, Gigabit LAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP Server, HD Streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The wizard based setup was easy and straightforward and for most users all they need to do is input their ISP user name and password to access the internet with no need to use the supplied CD. Many adsl routers such as the AVM Fritz! Box Fon 7390 Wireless 4 Port VDSL/ADSL2+ Router DECT VoIP Phone Adaper that I usually use myself now support internet access from a cable, external modem or another router. Not so this router which is limited to an adsl connection only. Although Asus claim a maximum speed of 600Mbps this is slightly disingenuous as this is in fact the combined speed of the 2.4 and 5Ghz network streams. Rival high end routers from Netgear and other now support a single band connection of 450Mbps or higher - although few network adapters yet can handle this. Perhaps I overlooked it but I could not see anyway of using this router as a repeater to another existing router network. As another review has already pointed out this device does not allow for MAC address spoofing - this is a way of fooling some ISPs that insist on their own specific routers being used by allowing the user to input a suitable MAC address into the router settings and which is then passed on to the ISP during the connection process.

Like most of the current generation of routers this one offers a built in Media Server, FTP Server and (via a separate utility program on the CD) a Printer Server. The easy to configure QoS settings ensures that network traffic will be given suitable priority your needs. No sign of dedicated hardware VOIP support of the type used across the AVM Fritz!box range.

This is a top of the range product and delivers a high level of reliable performance. It has many advanced features perhaps not required by the average user but seems to be lacking some others to be found in routers of comparable price.

The Good
Wifi on/off and Reset switches on case
Two USB ports
Printer server
Media server
FTP server
Gigabit LAN
Table or wall mounting
Free Asus DDNS service
Aerials are detachable for storage
Easy to configure QoS settings
Good build quality
Dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks separately configurable

The Bad
300Mbps speed max
No hardware VOIP support
User Interface is old fashioned
No support for external or cable modems
No support for MAC address spoofing
No support for use as a Repeater
No Guest network

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good router - perfect for any ADSL, 21 Nov. 2013
Just wanted to share what an amazing router this is in terms of setup, options and function.

Unpacking:
Came with power cable, ADSL filter, ethernet cable and CD & Manuals etc - no problems here.

Internet Connection:
So I updated the firmware when I first got it and chose internet connection autoconfigure (happens when you open chrome/ie/firefox) when connected to the router via ethernet. Did all the configuration itself and requested username and password which I entered and it worked, just like the "under 30 seconds" video on youtube.
(I am on a sky ADSL internet connection, the original router has its username and password hardcoded and you have to use Wireshark to retrieve them both)

all settings that it autodetected are the same as those on the original router (VCI,multiplex,etc etc) so glad they are not an issue. The internet connection is as fast it was before 16Mb/s (2MB/s). Not lost sync or internet use over the last week or so.

Wireless Performance:
My house is a victorian 4 floor (basement) with thick solid walls which are the worst for wireless transmission. The new Sky router (white box SR101) has poor wifi reception - it would transfer on the wifi network transfer at 3MB/s at best - with the Asus I now get 6-7MB/s.

Also, where I had no reception I now get 1-2 bars (out of 6) and primarily at long range the 2.4Ghz is better than 5Ghz (as expected). Virtually everywhere in my house in terms of internet speed via Wifi gets 16Mb/s (2MB/s) even if its just 1/2 bars out of 6 - great news!

My wireless printer picked it all up and worked, so no problems there!

Ok fine, I didnt measure the dB strength, but if its wireless performance is better than before and transfers at an acceptable rate and range then it should most people - not those seeking performance over value.

Ethernet Performance:
Gigabit speeds are achieved without issue, measured using TeraCopy when transferring files over the network speeds are between 50-70MB/s (which is 400Mb+ and gigabit is 1000Mb). Cant complain there, maybe 2 more ports so I dont need to use a switch ;)

Media Server/NAS functionality:
My NAS server requests its own IP address rather than auto assign from router and it just worked as before without issues. All mobiles devices (via DLNA protocol) pick up my NAS including wireless and ethernet methods.

Advanced Options:
There's a lot! QoS, Times to have wifi on (each band), keyword filters, url filters, VPN server support,

Responses to other reviews:
> Annex A including support for L/M but not B
> Not for fibre optic, its ADSL use only
> Did not use 3G USB or USb drive/printer sharing so cant comment
> Did not need to contact customer service - cant say
> After updating to latest firmware (at time of writing) did not have to do a h/w reset
> Did not have to alter settings for ADSL connection
> It does support MAC CLONE to get certain ISPs working
> Firmware updated from web interface (using Chrome on a Win7 laptop)
> No restarting needed yet for any internet or wireless issues
> Some devices take long time register the internet connection is available, whereas another device is readily using the internet
> Did not use its VPN server (only my company's VPN Cisco server to access work)
> Did not use DDNS
> Did not have to use CD at all
> UPnP and DLNA just work perfectly
> Does not get that hot, it sits next to a gigabit switch and NAS all "just" warm not HOT
> Static/fixed IP addresses work as expected
> Firmware update did not wipe out any of my config, all was preserved

Downsides:
> Bad labelling - "ASUS DSL N55U" I thought DSL is cable/fibre optic broadband, it should be labelled as "ASUS ADSL N55U" anyone else agree?
> Any wifi options require a quick restart of the wireless "chipset" <30seconds
> Any other settings require a router restart ~60seconds plus another 30secs or so for internet connection
> No upright stand, not a bother as it looks nicer flat

Overall:
This device works perfectly fine for me and I have at least 11 devices connected (4 wireless, 7 wired) which include: Smart TV, Bluray player, PCs, Laptops, mobile phones, kindle, NAS drive. The speed, range and all previous functionality are either preserved or improved significantly.

I can imagine a lot of the issues people originally found have led to the more recent firmwares to include the fixes, so thanks to all for that. But there are some recent complaints on the newer firmwares and I think there may be some build/batch or quality issues.

But my particular unit I am extremely pleased with it no real complaints at all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivered on expectations, 14 Mar. 2015
Had this a little over a week and so far it has delivered on hopes. Set up was easy. I'm with Plusnet and have fibre optic broadband. I removed my old modem and router (and gigabit switch) and connected this. Set up found plusnet as an option and I input my user and password to get adsl up and running. I was hoping for an improvement on wireless strength and stability and so far, it has been excellent. With my previous set up, I had iffy signals to a back bedroom, bathroom and parts of the kitchen. These areas now have a noticeably stabler signal enabling me to stream iplayer and videos form my NAS without problems as before. I speed tested with OKLA and reckon I get about 3 times the bandwidth on wireless I used to get to my difficult back bedroom. Occasionally, I've noticed the 5 ghz wireless drops off momentarily and the 2.4 ghz picks up instead. Not too often an occurrence and because it automatically reconnects on the other wireless, it's rarely a problem. 5 ghz, as expected, gives better throughput in more distant parts of the house, at the expense of what seems to be signal strength. So, I've replaced 3 items, and their power supplies, with one, improved signal strength, stability and bandwidth on wireless. and that was just what I was looking for. I've withheld one star, since it's only been a week and to earn 5 stars, products need to prove themselves reliable in the long term. Subject to that, I'm very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stopped the children moaning, well about the Wifi anyway!!, 6 Sept. 2012
Not a computer geek, so don't ask me to explain all the fancy stuff it can do. I can explain from my point of view.

My Wifi was struggling to cope with all the stuff connected to it, or so I was told. Apple tv, iPad, phones, printers, laptops, play stations the norm stuff a normal family have.

Opened the box, plugged it in, followed the instructions on screen, apple stuff on the 5 band thingy all the other stiff on the 2.4 band thingy and it all works.

Netflix, apple tv works well without stalling, ipad super quick... other laptops/playstations, I have no idea as the children just grunt, eat and fester in their own pits but assume it all works.

I reckon it was worth the £109 quid it cost just to stop the kids whining... result!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for BT Home Hub5, 1 Feb. 2014
This is a great product and works well (had it running for a couple of days now). I've got BT infinity and replaced my BT router (which was faulty) with this one. I was particularly looking for a modem router that had a good interface to set up port forwarding and VDSL capability, dual channels helps a lot too (2.4 and 5GHz). Setup was easy, once you realize you need a PPPoE/PPP username and password for BT (doh!). I now have access to my home Security cameras linked to my DVR via the internet after configuring port forwarding. In addition Asus provide you with a host name (DNS) so you don't have to worry about the WAN ip address changing if you reboot. So far so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Router for BT Infinity 2, 13 Feb. 2015
I found this to be a good reliable router that was easy to set up with BT Infinity 2, (when I used the routers own, out of the box, settings) and it could be that the latest firmware updates have cleared some of the set up problems that some have reported. - (I bought it in January 2015).

Prior to buying, I had read other reviews that said that this router was supposed to be a bit flaky with regard to its DSL connection and just after it arrived I first manually experimented by changing the out of the box settings, (after installing the latest firmware update), and I set it to broadly similar router settings to those that I had used with my previous Fritzbox 7390/7490 routers and in the end my manually faffing about with the connection settings looking for the optimum settings meant that I ended up with an interleaved connection which was a real bummer.

After that, I just did a factory reset and I let the DSL-AC68U set its own settings for use with my BT Infinity 2 line and away it went. - That was two weeks ago and since then the internet connection has been rock solid and it is now back on FastPath. - I was somewhat surprised how easy it was to set up, (since if we ignore the VDSL modems supplied by BT and the BT Homehub 5 that is also available for BT), other VDSL routers did not work out of the box and needed the user to manually input appropriate settings and this DSL-AC68U was the first router, (that plugs directly into the BT Infinity Master Socket), that did not require the user to manual input settings.

That said; It may be worth noting that a SPACE BAR Press was needed in the password section of the BT account as it would not work without something being input there. (That was a bit strange as BT do not need a password for Infinity).

The wireless is better than the BT Homehub 5, (that I now keep as a spare), but it was not as dazzling a wireless performance as others seem to think. - However, it does offer a few wireless guest network options network, (which I personally like), and the wireless signals are reasonably fast and reliable.

One additional point that is worth noting is the ability to use the USB port to plug a standard USB printer into and then use that standard USB printer as a wireless printer on the network.

On the whole I like this router.

1.0 out of 5 stars Range not impressive ?, 17 Dec. 2013
I read several reviews of comparable T-Link, Asus, Netgear to try to find a good router to replace our aging BT Home Hub2.... I noticed that whilst *all* the makes had a majority of great reviews thay also *all* seemed to have a significant minority of useless ratings. So corossed my fingers and ordered this one..... Sadly I think I was unlucky after movig three devices to the landing (our router is in the loft!!) and spending a few hours troubleshooting it I concluded that it was dropping internet connection as soon as a wireless client asked for any website. While I can forgive the possibility that I just got a bad one, I have returned this and will try another make because it could not match the range that the old BTHub still delivers.... Back to Home Hub 2 and square one for us .... I will chill for a few days and then try again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic router, no VDSL issues and great wireless., 31 Mar. 2015
M. Houchin (England) - See all my reviews
After reading reviews about VDSL modem issues, I was cautious about purchasing this router, particular after there were still a couple of issues after the December firmware release that seemed to resolved most connection issues. But with so few VDSL Modem Routers with AC wireless support I decided to splash out.

Thankfully the router was a breeze to setup and worked first time after selecting my ISP (Zen) from the list. Connection speeds are as good as the Openreach modem (33Mbps on a tariff with max 38Mbps). The wireless range and speed is also fantastic - though I was upgrading from a wireless G router so the difference is more drastic. Our entire 2-bed house has full signal throughout.

The router interface also contains plenty of features, and simple to use. Upgrading the firmware is also very easy to do (basically automatic!).

Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Setup correctly and it will work just fine., 11 Dec. 2014
F. Khan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I read all the reviews before I bought this, most of them were negative but a few months old. Another person posted a set of instructions (http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R172XNY5MXQUGX/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00GORC5WO) on how to set this up correctly. With this in mind I bought mine and set about getting it ready on my plusnet fibre connection.

It's been a week since I set it up and installed it, and I must say that I've had no issues. The key here is to make sure you update the firmware on your router as soon as you can. Once you have done this you can be confident that you won't experience any of the issues that of people have experienced.

The connection stays up, no loss in speed and no dropped packets.

Design:
----
The footprint is small, it's about the size of a VHS cassette, the lights are dimmed enough that they don't look like a light show at night.

Setup:
----
The setup isn't hard, I didn't have the need for the DVD and connected straight to the wifi network. The admin panel is at 192.168.1.1 and the login/password are set as admin/admin. The control panel is a little dated, but not hard to use. Everything you need is there.

Signal:
----
The signal is clear and penetrates most walls and is as powerful as most other routers without external antennae I've seen. I am going to purchase a wifi booster anyway.

Cons:
----
Signal strength could be better, but this is fixed by using a repeater such as the Asus EA-N66 or powerline adapters.

The convenience of having one combined modem/router is great. It's a nice size and is aesthetically pleasing. I've been using it for a few weeks now and never had a problem.