4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money choice
Published 18 months ago by Dyfi man

1.0 out of 5 stars worst tom tom i have owned
Do not buy this Tom Tom - I drive through the city ( London)
For work and all I can say is this device loses signal all the time
Even in none built up area's and takes forever to find a signal
When you start it up and puts you on the wrong road for about
100m even with my house programmed in to it. A total waste of money
For me now I'm going to...
Published 7 months ago by PAUL ASHTON

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money choice, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: TomTom Via 135 EU GPS Unit (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
After reading many sat nav reviews I was totally confused. How people can feel qualified to review a product they have only used for 2/3 weeks and hardly used I don't understand. I already had a Tom Tom with just Western Europe on it and wanted one with all Europe on. I plumped for this model and hoped for the best. I wasn't disappointed. We travel down to Croatia and back in a 3.5 ton motorhome, through France, Belgium, Germany, Austria,Italy, Bosnia and Luxembourg, covering nearly 4000 miles. Tom Tom proved most reliable only getting in a mix once in a large town that had a major diversion. On occasions that we did over-rule it, it quickly re-routed itself. Instructions were clear, in plenty of time and I liked the lane markings at motorway junctions.
I was impressed and pleased with my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Via 135 with life time updates and EU maps, 22 July 2013
Excellent product easy to set up and easy to use I particularly like the life time map updates which works through the TomTom web site, which automatically appears when notified that an update is available. The way it fixes in the car with the window sucker is also very good, I am impressed with the speed that the Sat Nav finds the satellites and is up and running. I also like the facility to notify TomTom of any changes to routes and roads that are observed when using the device. Sat Navs have come a long way since my first device and after using this device I think it's superb and a huge aid to safer and more comfortable driving

5.0 out of 5 stars Via 135, can't fault it....yet, 18 Nov 2012
GaryLM (Barrow In Furness) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my old Tom Tom Go (which is actually still going strong after many years and now given to my daughter)just to keep up with the new technology. Unfortunately I read loads of reviews first which confused the hell out of me. Some said great others said awful and lots of stories in between. I looked at Tom Tom, looked at Garmin all with the same confusing reviews and experiences....I actually almost didn't bother at all. But eventually what made me bite the bullet and take a punt was the free lifetime maps offer which was a deal clincher given the cost of updating my old one. It arrived in usual Amazon style ahead of schedule and I immediately connected it up to my laptop(having already installed 'My Tomtom') to update to the latest maps etc. The whole thing (downloads and installation) took less that 15mins, unlike some of the horror stories I'd read. It works perfectly, large display, loud clear voice and pinpoint accuracy, too many functions to discuss (read the sales bumf for that)I connect mine to my laptop once a week for updates (approx 1-2 mins) again absolutely no problems. Personally I think it's fantastic up to now and hopefully I'm not tempting fate with this review. However for every good review there's a bad one and obviously I can only comment on my own experience. Excellent......up to now, and long may it be so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit., 4 Jan 2013
Changed from Garmin to TomTom after Garmin's lifetime map updates turned out to be map 'outdates'.
Took a couple of days to get used to the new set-up but I love it. As part of the deal we got free lifetime updates but there is also a 'map share' facility where you can notify them of any changes to roads e.g new road works, traffic lights etc.

Also bought the Live Traffic Receiver Car Charger Vehicle Power Cable Cord to go with this and that's looking good too.

Went to Norway recently and it worked absolutely spot-on.

With the Bluetooth facility it's also used as a hands-free phone whilst driving. My partner's iphone wouldn't connect so I contacted Tomtom who were excellent in trying to resolve the problem - turns out it was the iphone (and the service from Apple was appalling, by the way) so I have confidence that if ever there was a problem, we'd be well looked after by Tomtom.

We also bought the adaptor that fits to the airvents in the car which makes inserting and removing the satnav much easier.

One slight negative - the standard 5" satnav case may not be big enough with the satnav and charging cable to fit in the same box.

Other than that, really pleased with it :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 19 April 2013
I bought this sat nav from Halfords for £130 to replace my old Tom Tom XL that had given up the ghost after 5-6 years. I did some research beforehand and had a good chat with a member of staff before choosing this model. In the end, the free life-time maps was very attractive and the slightly larger screen. Overall, I'm a little disappointed for a number of reasons. First of all, the touch screen is not very responsive as it takes about 4 seconds for it react to commands in the menu. Similarly, when you try to turn it on or off it can take up to 8-9 seconds. The voice-activated command function is absolutely useless and is more inclined to cause accidents than help you navigate to an address, due to the amount of stress that it causes when it keeps asking if you want to go to the nearest zoo. What really bugs me is that it doesn't tell you how many miles you are from your destination after the initial route planning; which is a backward step from the XL. I also think that the screen is a little dull when compared to Garmin products, despite being informed that one can increase the brightness level within the menu (it is already set at 100%). So, what does it do well? It seems to pick up satellite signals a little quicker than my previous model and is definitely faster and better at planning routes. I like the fact that it is more interactive in that you are asked to confirm safety camera locations. Also, it will pronounce (reasonably accurately) the actual road that you need to turn into, rather than tell you to take the next left/ right, etc. And the windscreen attachment is more adjustable and secure, as you can lock it into place. So,this sat nav is really a mixed bag as far as I am concerned.

Update
After getting advice from the TomTom community manager - I have changed my rating from 3 to 4 on the basis of the 'soft reset' and tweaking the settings menu.

1.0 out of 5 stars worst tom tom i have owned, 30 April 2014
Do not buy this Tom Tom - I drive through the city ( London)
For work and all I can say is this device loses signal all the time
Even in none built up area's and takes forever to find a signal
When you start it up and puts you on the wrong road for about
100m even with my house programmed in to it. A total waste of money
For me now I'm going to have to buy something else as this is not

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome kit, 6 Feb 2013
very easy to use,great value with life time maps,and the tom tom support team has been brilliant helping me to sort the lifetime maps

1.0 out of 5 stars tomtom service, 19 July 2013
I've received from amazon TomTom Via 135 EU M Sat Nav with Lifetime Map Updates.. yesterday, after setting my account up, and connected the tomtom to the computer to get the latest upgrade, the tomtom site, wasn't recognizing my serial number to be able to download the starter pack, for free lifetime maps upgrade... so I phoned tomtom support, and after been on the phone with Alfred for 15 minutes, I still didn't solve my problem, so Alfred told me that he would sorted out at its end.. last night I received an email from Alfred asking to email him my proof of purchase.. so last night I emailed my receipt from amazon.. and up to now I still not received any answer from Alfred..so if I not receive any answer for today... I will return my tomtom to amazon.. for a full refound...
to be continued...

I feel I need to editing my review, after nearly the initial contact that I had with tomtom service I had the lifetime maps made available to me after 3 days, but I'm contesting that the cameras have not been updated to the present, apart the one belonging to denmark,that is updated, the rest tells me are available, so I live in the UK and I expect to have the camera for the UK updated... but tomtom service its so slooooooww to respond to the emails that nearly 3 weeks have passed from my first contact

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT buy, 25 Jun 2014
Hi, I bought this 10months ago. Now the unit take 40miles to find gps. I have done all the updates and tried to contact tomtom but they aren't intrested.
wouldn't buy again, shame as I thought tomtom was the best, back to my dusty old Gamin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TomTom, 9 Nov 2012
Does just what iIwanted it to - connects well with phone via bluetooth, clear screen and lovely Serena who even tells me what road/street i'm on.