5.0 out of 5 stars Via 135, can't fault it....yet

1.0 out of 5 stars tomtom service
Published 14 months ago by antonio

5.0 out of 5 stars Via 135, can't fault it....yet, 18 Nov 2012
GaryLM (Barrow In Furness) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my old Tom Tom Go (which is actually still going strong after many years and now given to my daughter)just to keep up with the new technology. Unfortunately I read loads of reviews first which confused the hell out of me. Some said great others said awful and lots of stories in between. I looked at Tom Tom, looked at Garmin all with the same confusing reviews and experiences....I actually almost didn't bother at all. But eventually what made me bite the bullet and take a punt was the free lifetime maps offer which was a deal clincher given the cost of updating my old one. It arrived in usual Amazon style ahead of schedule and I immediately connected it up to my laptop(having already installed 'My Tomtom') to update to the latest maps etc. The whole thing (downloads and installation) took less that 15mins, unlike some of the horror stories I'd read. It works perfectly, large display, loud clear voice and pinpoint accuracy, too many functions to discuss (read the sales bumf for that)I connect mine to my laptop once a week for updates (approx 1-2 mins) again absolutely no problems. Personally I think it's fantastic up to now and hopefully I'm not tempting fate with this review. However for every good review there's a bad one and obviously I can only comment on my own experience. Excellent......up to now, and long may it be so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 19 April 2013
I bought this sat nav from Halfords for £130 to replace my old Tom Tom XL that had given up the ghost after 5-6 years. I did some research beforehand and had a good chat with a member of staff before choosing this model. In the end, the free life-time maps was very attractive and the slightly larger screen. Overall, I'm a little disappointed for a number of reasons. First of all, the touch screen is not very responsive as it takes about 4 seconds for it react to commands in the menu. Similarly, when you try to turn it on or off it can take up to 8-9 seconds. The voice-activated command function is absolutely useless and is more inclined to cause accidents than help you navigate to an address, due to the amount of stress that it causes when it keeps asking if you want to go to the nearest zoo. What really bugs me is that it doesn't tell you how many miles you are from your destination after the initial route planning; which is a backward step from the XL. I also think that the screen is a little dull when compared to Garmin products, despite being informed that one can increase the brightness level within the menu (it is already set at 100%). So, what does it do well? It seems to pick up satellite signals a little quicker than my previous model and is definitely faster and better at planning routes. I like the fact that it is more interactive in that you are asked to confirm safety camera locations. Also, it will pronounce (reasonably accurately) the actual road that you need to turn into, rather than tell you to take the next left/ right, etc. And the windscreen attachment is more adjustable and secure, as you can lock it into place. So,this sat nav is really a mixed bag as far as I am concerned.

Update
After getting advice from the TomTom community manager - I have changed my rating from 3 to 4 on the basis of the 'soft reset' and tweaking the settings menu.

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Via 135 with life time updates and EU maps, 22 July 2013
Excellent product easy to set up and easy to use I particularly like the life time map updates which works through the TomTom web site, which automatically appears when notified that an update is available. The way it fixes in the car with the window sucker is also very good, I am impressed with the speed that the Sat Nav finds the satellites and is up and running. I also like the facility to notify TomTom of any changes to routes and roads that are observed when using the device. Sat Navs have come a long way since my first device and after using this device I think it's superb and a huge aid to safer and more comfortable driving

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money choice, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: TomTom Via 135 5" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (45 Countries) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
After reading many sat nav reviews I was totally confused. How people can feel qualified to review a product they have only used for 2/3 weeks and hardly used I don't understand. I already had a Tom Tom with just Western Europe on it and wanted one with all Europe on. I plumped for this model and hoped for the best. I wasn't disappointed. We travel down to Croatia and back in a 3.5 ton motorhome, through France, Belgium, Germany, Austria,Italy, Bosnia and Luxembourg, covering nearly 4000 miles. Tom Tom proved most reliable only getting in a mix once in a large town that had a major diversion. On occasions that we did over-rule it, it quickly re-routed itself. Instructions were clear, in plenty of time and I liked the lane markings at motorway junctions.
I was impressed and pleased with my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit., 4 Jan 2013
Changed from Garmin to TomTom after Garmin's lifetime map updates turned out to be map 'outdates'.
Took a couple of days to get used to the new set-up but I love it. As part of the deal we got free lifetime updates but there is also a 'map share' facility where you can notify them of any changes to roads e.g new road works, traffic lights etc.

Also bought the Live Traffic Receiver Car Charger Vehicle Power Cable Cord to go with this and that's looking good too.

Went to Norway recently and it worked absolutely spot-on.

With the Bluetooth facility it's also used as a hands-free phone whilst driving. My partner's iphone wouldn't connect so I contacted Tomtom who were excellent in trying to resolve the problem - turns out it was the iphone (and the service from Apple was appalling, by the way) so I have confidence that if ever there was a problem, we'd be well looked after by Tomtom.

We also bought the adaptor that fits to the airvents in the car which makes inserting and removing the satnav much easier.

One slight negative - the standard 5" satnav case may not be big enough with the satnav and charging cable to fit in the same box.

Other than that, really pleased with it :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome kit, 6 Feb 2013
very easy to use,great value with life time maps,and the tom tom support team has been brilliant helping me to sort the lifetime maps

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TomTom, 9 Nov 2012
Does just what iIwanted it to - connects well with phone via bluetooth, clear screen and lovely Serena who even tells me what road/street i'm on.

1.0 out of 5 stars tomtom service, 19 July 2013
I've received from amazon TomTom Via 135 EU M Sat Nav with Lifetime Map Updates.. yesterday, after setting my account up, and connected the tomtom to the computer to get the latest upgrade, the tomtom site, wasn't recognizing my serial number to be able to download the starter pack, for free lifetime maps upgrade... so I phoned tomtom support, and after been on the phone with Alfred for 15 minutes, I still didn't solve my problem, so Alfred told me that he would sorted out at its end.. last night I received an email from Alfred asking to email him my proof of purchase.. so last night I emailed my receipt from amazon.. and up to now I still not received any answer from Alfred..so if I not receive any answer for today... I will return my tomtom to amazon.. for a full refound...
to be continued...

I feel I need to editing my review, after nearly the initial contact that I had with tomtom service I had the lifetime maps made available to me after 3 days, but I'm contesting that the cameras have not been updated to the present, apart the one belonging to denmark,that is updated, the rest tells me are available, so I live in the UK and I expect to have the camera for the UK updated... but tomtom service its so slooooooww to respond to the emails that nearly 3 weeks have passed from my first contact

1.0 out of 5 stars OK PRODUCT APPALLING SERVICE, 11 April 2013
The product is OK. It does what it says on the tin. BUT the free maps offer is a total nightmare if ANYTHING non-standard happens, and it highlights pretty shabby customer service. For me, for example, the first product broke (always buy from Amazon and that's no problem) so that when I registered the 2nd product, TomTom's system couldn't cope. So I set up a new email address just for this, and even then, they would never have set up the free maps if I hadn't spent a LONG time on the 'phone. I politely suggested a minor improvement to their service (ie what they do now is they send an email to say everything is OK, but they don't send you one to say there's a problem) and have been met with a level of obtuse communication which is quite amazing. Now someone at TomTom is being pretty rude, and I am very happy to be able to submit this review to tell potential purchasers that I am sending my TomTom back because I don't like the company and I don't like helping to pay the salaries of people like that. Someone at Amazon said they have heard this stuff before, so I am not the only one. TomTom's fortunes as a company have suffered massively of late. I know that there's a lot of product competition, but with customer "service" like this, they are not going to attract loyal buyers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plug&play, fairly easy to use, some shortcomings, useless voice control; review inc. website & cust.svcs., 10 Jan 2014
FestiveLady "FestiveLady" (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
SUMMARY (below REVIEW/TIPS/PRICE)
Mixed experience getting started, had to ring TomTom, but fairly easy, good for my first sat.nav. Unclear and even incorrect road-navigation occasionally. A few features need improving or occasionally fail (silent at a major junction). Don't buy for the voice control as it mostly doesn't understand you.

REVIEW: POSITIVES:
A. When the screen's crowded e.g. a complicated junction plus menu buttons, it's worth having the larger 5" screen. I'd buy the 6" if I could.
B. I got the hang of this my first sat.nav. fairly quickly (but see TIPS below), including configuring the "Settings", choosing routes, adding "Favourite" destinations.
C. My one experience of phone customer services was positive.

REVIEW: GENERAL/MISC.
1. Voice control is hit-and-miss though my accent is the same as the device's default, even when spoken very near the device. So I wouldn't trust to voice control while driving. But I didn't expect much for the price; voice control technology still has a way to go. Don't buy this solely for the voice control!
2. Customising the route - I'd like TomTom to add to / improve the few basic tools this feature has. "Travel via" needs to be able to pinpoint places more accurately (see also point 6). Best to do long journeys (e.g. hundreds of miles) as several "Favourites" and re-enter next destination as you go - you're going to stop anyway for a break. Once it said "error" and couldn't show any route.
3. Having the lifetime map updates included in the price is convenient. If you buy a model where you pay per update, you could skip an update and save or spread costs, but I bet you won't want to skip any. C---y's sold a separate "free lifetime map update" package for 80quid - I say this so you can match the maths to your needs.
4. Customisable POI (points of interest) and option for it to read out signs - I like these features.
5. I like that most (not all) street names are displayed and it can give the street name e.g. "Turn right into Accident Road". Of course, often streets don't display a road name.
6. When "Add"ing a "Favourite" it shows a road name and asks for a house number but there seems no option to enter a name e.g. The Isolated Public House or Church of St Alban the Lost, which means that it just guesses somewhere along that road, usually wrongly. I suggest that the TomTom boffins try to improve that. You can type in the whole long address instead, rather than the postcode, but that's usually not as accurate.
7. When you've entered your "Favourite" and it prompts you to name or nickname it, as soon as you type it deletes the whole address when you probably want to keep some of it, which is time-consuming as it's one-finger typing. I suggest that TomTom add an editing facility.
8. You can only scroll down the list of "Favourites" - a long time if you have a lot or your most-used "Favourites" are at the end of the alphabet. The list should be scrollable backwards as well as forwards. There are quick-select icons for ultra-Favourites but only a few assignable people-silhouettes, unless you're happy to assign your friends the icons for Office, Airport, Shop etc.
9. Change the arrow to a car icon so it looks like it's "driving" the route. Trivial but I like it. Would like 'Wacky Races' types of vehicle as options - I gather TomTom's Community Manager reads these reviews.

OBSERVATION
"Turn left/right" and "Bear left/right" aren't always related to road priority - its concern is to get you to move in the right direction. Occasionally this can be terrifying (unexpected fast traffic) e.g. "Turn left onto A192" should be "you are now on a one-way road, at the end merge onto the A1, then take the slip road A192". At least once it's been silent approaching a major junction e.g. crossroads. Likewise speed cameras - it's missed a few. You can "Correct" a map but I haven't tried that yet, looks complicated.

TOMTOM WEBSITE (needed to "Get Started" and download lifetime map updates)
A. A faff getting hold of TomTom customer services. You go through several menus before the webpage gives buttons for "Forums", "E-mail", "Phone" to see the tel.no. (Are they trying to put you off contacting them?) So here it is: tel.0845 161 0009 M-F 9am-5.30pm; it was "unavailable", try again as it did work when I rang later. The person I spoke to was friendly and helpful.
B. The website needs improving, much isn't intuitive, and one part kept me cycling between the same three pages. TomTom, please take note, as customers need to visit the website regularly, to download the updates.
C. Connect your charged TomTom to your computer, go to TomTom's website, create an account - download MyDrive (Windows/Mac; .exe file). "Link your device to your account" - after a week I rang TomTom as it kept saying "Unable to link your device at this time, please try later", and customer services did the linking. You need it linked to download updates.
D. Customer Svcs said minor updates are available daily but the actual maps are updated quarterly approx. and they send an e-mail notice. In "Settings" at the TomTom PC menu (icon on Taskbar), opt for your PC to remind you when you boot, weekly or monthly. You update via the website.
E. Website needs a simple and easily findable link to a .pdf of the full instructions (big screen e.g. desktop computer), even though instructions are in the device (5" screen).

TIPS FOR ANY SAT.NAV:
1. Postcodes aren't always accurate e.g. if visiting a firm or hotel ask for the sat.nav. postcode, as a major chain hotel I've just booked said the postcode on their website is only for Royal Mail. (As a newbie to sat.navs, that tip and similar I'd like to see in reviews.)
2. Choice of voices on the device and (a very limited choice) at the website, more choice at non-TomTom sites. DIY voices via programs on the Web.
3. Before buying, I used a friend's TomTom (basic; 4.3" screen) to drive us on various routes. I'd recommend this research method. Among other things, it showed me I'd prefer a 5" screen.

GETTING STARTED
Charge the device, in-car or buy a mains charger e.g. Amazon ref ASIN B008DGDXCU. It's plug-and-play - within seconds of charging in-car I was configuring "Home", "Favourites" and "Settings" and doing a test drive. Full instructions are in the device. When I could bear to end the test drive, I came online to download updates.

MODEL/PRICE
This review is for "TomTom Via 135 5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps", Amazon ref ASIN B007QTI0RS, from C---y's for 99.99 special offer as a newer model had just replaced it. At time of review it's still being supported by TomTom.

P.S. added 2nd May 2014: A while ago I bought a car with integral sat.nav. (NavTeq's Navi 600) and realise the TomTom is better than I thought considering its small size. TomTom's default voice (Serena) is seamless whereas my Navi 600 is robotic and I suspect several voices contribute in the same sentence. As TomTom warns about speed cameras (and has a 3D display), I still use it regularly.