5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Via 130 is fantastic
Published 20 months ago by Jane

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems downloading maps
I am happy with my VIO 130 but dissatisfied with the support I'm getting trying to download the guaranteed free lifetime maps of Northern Europe that were promised.
Published 18 months ago by Brian Hinett

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Via 130 is fantastic, 21 Aug 2012
TomTom Via 130 is fantastic. It is really easy to use and is simple to attach & detach from the windscreen. A couple of the best things are (i) that you can touch its microphone "button" on the screen & then give it voice commands - great when all you want to do is go to home or to one of your "favourites", & (ii) you can update & correct the maps when, for instance, a new bypass is opened - this is wonderful - no commands to take the 2nd turning off a roundabout that isn't there any more (once you've updated it) & no being shown driving across fields, between the roads, once you've "told" it about the new road.

5.0 out of 5 stars best buy in a long time, 3 Sep 2012
Tom Tom Via - don't know why i didn't buy one ages ago. voice recognition is not that great but otherwise it does what it's supposed to do!!

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom VIA 130, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: TomTom Via 130 4.3" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (45 Countries) (Electronics)
OK, so first the bad news. I bought this as a replacement for my old TomTOm One which I'd had for a few years and had given me excellent reliable service. The first thing I thought I'd do on purchasing the Via 130 was a backup. Downloaded MyTomTom from the website. Backup not possible with this model/software. Still had my old TomTom Home software on my PC so tried this. Wouldn't connect. So decided to check for updates. There was a speed camera update and new European map update (2.9GB) Thought I'd keep it simple to start with and tried to download the speed camera update as it was only 1.7mb. All was fine for about 30 seconds then got a message on the MytomTom software saying connection lost between TomTom satnav and website. I was reluctant to disconnect the TomTom in case it failed to start afterwards. So waited. Eventually (about 20 minutes)got a message on the TomTom saying connection lost, please disconnect. So I did. Then logged on again to TomTom and the update started again. 30 seconds later, same message, connection lost. So waited again for message on TomTom. Took a while and disconnected it again. Then trawled through technical support and customers forums on the TomTom website. Found lots of articles with the same problem as mine and tried various fixes. To cut a long story short, in the MyTomTom software setting, (icon on taskbar) I cleared the cache and unticked "cache large contents on my computer" Also cleared the cache in my browser and started all over again. This time it worked with no problems. But all this had taken me a whole afternoon. I've since done several updates with no problems. For anyone who is interested, I used Google Chrome as I was reading that there are more issues regarding updates when using Internet Explorer.

OK, so now the good news! Have used the TomTom for a few days and it's been fab! It finds the sat signal quickly, the directions are clear and precise and love the spoken commands option which worked well on mine. It doesn't recognise my phone for hands free calling, but I have a very old phone! Works fine with my wife's phone though. I have deliberately changed route while following directions and it very quickly updates to show you a new route. Love the wide screen and I've even managed to upload some of my own pictures to use as startup and shutdown splash screens. Have given the TomTom itself 5 stars. But as regards ease of updating...1 star! I'm sure a lot of people have had no problems at all, but judging by the numbers of reviews I've read, the updating issue seems to be a big problem. The thing I would like most is a backup facility. Having read a lot on the TomTom forums, this appears to be something TomTom plan to make available soon. Would I buy this again if I knew then what I know now....yes!

Update 5th Jan
Tried to download the 3gb map update. Crashed big time! The solution in the end was to use my wifes computer (Win XP) and the update downloaded and installed without any problems. I run Win 7.
Still a great piece of kit though :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems downloading maps, 11 Oct 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Via 130, 4 Sep 2012
Mr. Michael Pugh (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this TomTom Via 130 to replace my 4 year old TomTom xl satnav. I wanted to ensure I had the latest maps for a recent trip to the south of France and also the battery on my xl was on its last legs.
First impressions were very good, and the via 130 is an improvement over the xl. It is very easy to use and the screen is very clear. However, I was surprised to see the compass has been omitted on the 130, something I found very useful on the old xl.

I am not to sure about the "My TomTom" application, the TomTom Home app for the older models is much better in my opinion as it is possible to operate the satnav on the pc, something that cannot be done with the "My TomTom" app.
The 130 via seems to get confused sometimes when connected to "My TomTom" saying there are no updates and then starts to update!!!

The advanced lane guidance is a brilliant feature but does not seem to be available on all roads as I found on my recent trip. The other thing, the mapping in a lot of small French villages and towns, particularly in the south of France and Monte Carlo, appears to be incorrect and the satnav is constantly recalculating which is not good when you are in a lot of traffic and need a route direction fairly quickly. Most of the time the recalculating is very fast but on occasion it seems to be searching for position. I did start to use the map share/correction feature on the via 130 when I came across an error but there were to many on this trip so could not continue.

Overall I am very pleased with the via 130 and would definitely recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars great functionality, but battery issues already, 25 Aug 2012
B. M. Wilson - See all my reviews
Let me preface this with this is early days for my TomTom, i've only just had it over a month.

Pluses -
Fantastically easy set-up
great and clear on screen images and instructions whilst in use
Good alternative views
Great international maps (France, Turkey, Portugal - yes, I've made good use, despite only having had it 1 month!

Negatives -
Battery life

From fully charged lasts only about 90mins without the in-car cable, and losing 100% of the charge within a week if left unused. Not what I need in a satnav. I am particularly paranoid about it because my last tomtom died the same way.

We'll see if things improve - without this issue it would be 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., 28 July 2012
This is my first satnav and after long deliberation I opted for the TomTom over other brands because of recommendations and reviews. It's easy to use, including downloading updates from the website, and has a large enough screen to view details comfortably. My only gripe is that it does not come with a home charger, although it does come with a car charger.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely upgrade to previous TomTom, 28 Nov 2012
I upgraded to this model from a basic TomTom i had 8 years ago, i must say that considering how far tech has come, i am a little underwhelmed by how much the TomTom has improved.

Now dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it, it does the job, and i am very happy with the product, but i dont feel that it does everything i would want it to, such as having an accompanying app for smartphones, or incorporating some phone functionality other than basic send and receive calls.

The addition of showing exactly which lane you need to travel on is helpful, especially for those (like my wife) who arent as comfortable on untravelled roads its welcome relief.

All in all, this is a good product that does what it says on the tin, but doesnt have any "wow" features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised how good, 3 Nov 2012
I bought this product for my wife and can honestly say that first impression out the box and turned on were not good. I thought the graphics were unsophisticated and all in all the product was a bit mediocre. My experience with GPS is fairly extensive as I have a boat with a Garmin and I fly aircraft. I had also had GPS in 2000 in an XJR so some experience of products.
We used the product in anger last weekend driving from Heathrow to Derbyshire and wow in real time use it is excellent the apparent unsophisticated graphics when used in a moving vehicle give just the right amount of detail. Not only was this easy to set up but in use it is excellent it reprogrammed several times without fuss as I changed route and indeed at the end of the journey saved us a substantial amount of time with the route chosen/
This product is great value just as a route planner then when you add in voice activation free lifetime European maps and hands free telephone integration it is a superb value for money product. Cannot recommend enough

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware if you got this via the Black Friday Lightning Deals, 29 Nov 2012
I. Andrews (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Been using a TomTom One for about 6 years, so this is a good upgrade, haven't used it in the car yet, but all seems ok. However I got this via the Black Friday Lightning deals offer, submitted my info for the TomTom Lifetime Maps update offer and just got an e-mail from TomTom saying it's not a valid, so just been on the phone to them and they have asked me to e-mail them the receipt so they can "look into it". The Amazon offer page says "Please note: This offer applies to the Qualifying Items listed below purchased from Amazon.co.uk and does not apply to used products. Offer applies to authorised TomTom dealers and may not apply to third party sellers on Amazon.co.uk's Marketplace platform. Please check with the third party seller for more information.", while the TomTom page says "8.The Promotion applies to new boxed devices purchased only. Purchases from online auction sites, 3rd party resellers (Such as Amazon.co.uk market place platform), refurbished or devices returned for exchanges are not eligible.". So can only assume that they are classing the Lightning deals as an "auction" site. Though a great price, if TomTom still decline it then I may be returning it to Amazon as no mention was made on the Amazon site that getting it via Lightning deals would invalidate the Map offer.
***UPDATE***
After contacting TomTom customer service and being asked to e-mail my receipt off again to them I have received a reply back that the Lifetime Map updates has been approved.
Also used it in the car for the 1st time and all worked as expected, takes a bit longer then my old TomTom One to plan the route but suspect it may be because it has more data to analyse because of the IQ Routes. Maps are more detailed and the Lane Guidance is good.

ARRAY(0xac33b7ec)