5.0 out of 5 stars Are you Dave Gorman?
Published on 8 July 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Daft, but fun
I've read a couple of Danny Wallace books before, so thought I'd give this one a go.

I suspect I'd have enjoyed it more in my 20s, when I was also doing a lot of daft things. 15 years on it doesn't really resonate - not especially the author's fault, just that I'm a father of 2 these days and the days of silly drunken bets are (thankfully!) long behind me...
Published on 17 April 2012 by Mike N

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you Dave Gorman?, 8 July 2005
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
No but I sure wish I was after reading this book! The insane wacky recklessness of these two friends is contagious! It made me want to wake up and challenge myself to do something crazy and time consuming - resulting in travelling round the world and forcing complete strangers to help me complete my quest! The book is about how a drunken bet gets out of control and consumes their lifes - its a factual story that is humorously written between both dave and danny in two different fonts. The style of writing is hilarious as are the situations described. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, I cried, I learned new Norwegian phrases!, 10 Sep 2001
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
If you liked the TV show, you'll love this. If you liked the stage show, you'll love this. If you like travel books or humorous tales, I think you'll love this. If your name is Dave Gorman, you've probably bought it already! Very funny, well written and surprisingly touching, especially in exploring the relationships between Dave and Danny and also Danny and his Norwegian girlfriend Hanne. A must-read - I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't anyone think of this before!, 18 Feb 2003
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
What a great book! My Girlfriend (not Norweigan - read the book & you'll see what I mean) had been bugging me for ages to buy this book so on valentines day I decided to bite the bullet and give her a copy as a present (after reading it first of course!)
Once I read the first page, I couldn't put this book down, the first thing that struck me was what a simple idea it is, try and meet as many people of the same name as possible all over the world (warning, if your name is John Smith this could be a very expensive hobby)
This book really is a laugh a minute as it recounts what starts as a drunken bet between 2 best friends/flatmates and turns into an obsession which nearly destroys relationships, careers and bank balances as the 2 "characters" Dave Gorman & Danny Wallace set off on a madcap trip lasting several months and finally ending up in a TV show as they meet Dave Gorman after Dave Gorman along the way, including women who changed their name by deed poll!.
I won't spoil it anymore but have to agree with Time Out when they proclaim this book "The Stand Up version of Bill Bryson) Buy this book NOW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching story of friendship and Britishness, 26 Sep 2001
Stuart Burns (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
'Are You Dave Gorman?' offers much creater depth than the television version of events. Rather like the diaries Michael Palin kept of his travels, here we see the cracks filled in, the moments which could not possibly expressed within the comedy series. Part way through the first chapter it becomes clear that is not the story of Dave Gorman at all, but his best friend Danny Wallace, the man who proposed the bet in the first place. It's about their friendship and keeping it together by impossible odds; his battle to keep within the spirit of a true Britishness which he has been brought up on. His loyalty to his friend is tested by a new 'character', his girlfriend Hanne (pronounced Hannah). She is the Norwegian balance the story needs to stop the story flying off completely into eccentricity, forever questioning her boyfriend about the validity of disappearing off to New York at a moments notice, and why a journey like this needs to be taken if the costs financially and emotionally are so extreme.
The book is separated into two voices. In bold we have Dave, whose words are a development of the television script - many of the same jokes appear the striking feature being that he seemed to think that the whole affair was pure sanity. In light is Danny, perhaps the greater writer, his journalistic experience to the fore, painting Dave as a much curiouser man. In some places, it may have been nice to have Hanne's voice in there as well - at times she is quite a distant figure, her actual feelings about the endevour not entirely clear. Interjections from her, far away from the main story may a slowed the pace and added an extra layer of context.
But I don't want to criticise what is a great book, certainly ripe for a screen adaptation (I favour John Cusak for Dave, Matthew Broderick for Danny, Joey Lauren Adams for Hanne). This is one of the compulsive stories that you wish would not end and at the end you wish they would go off and find fifty-four Danny Wallaces...it seems only fair...

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious, 28 Nov 2001
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
Are you Dave Gorman? No, of course you're not. How many Dave Gormans must there be in England, where this book was written, let alone here on the southern tip of Africa, where this review is being written? However, that's the question this hilarious book poses - and it gets answered in a myriad of innovative ways, with a surprisingly high hit rate.The book, which very loosely fits into the humour/travel genre, starts off as a drunken bet between young English flat-mates Dave and Danny, who come across a bit like the pair on Men Behaving Badly, complete with long-suffering but extremely sharp girlfriend.
Danny bets Dave that he can't meet "loads" of other Dave Gormans. The next day, cold, hungry and hung over, they find themselves leaving London on a train to Scotland, on the start of the great Dave Gorman hunt. The challenge is on and it makes riveting reading, full of laddish humour, quirky asides and examples of extreme eccentricity. You'll find yourself bursting out in a guffaw, shaking your head, giggling "what an idiot" and then reading on for more. The best of it all is that it's true. You'll be pleased to hear, Dave, that I've checked the Port Elizabeth phone book, called all the Gormans and there are none listed here. Just so you don't yank poor Danny off down here.

5.0 out of 5 stars One great book - two great authors, 26 Aug 2002
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
This was an amazing read and one that surprised me. I bought it thinking it would be okay... an easy, light read that might make me chuckle. It was easy, it was quick but I also found myself laughing out loud constantly.
The way they switch between the two writers gives it real pace and is often a good comic device in itself. And they have very different characters, each piling on the laughs from different angles reflecting their different views of the same tale.
The story is hilarious and it is remarkable that the writing makes you care about something that is clearly so very, very stupid. But they have such conviction that it starts to feel like you are on the journey with them. But actually, the search for other Dave Gormans (or Gormen to give it it's proper plural) is just a big maguffin - the real story is about two men, their friendship and the time they spent together as flatmates.
It's a story about male bonding, wrapped up in a silly farce that will make you snort with laughter. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny, 19 Feb 2002
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
This is possibly the funniest book I've ever read, every morning it had me laughing out loud and embarrassing myself on the train into work. The TV show of the book was funny, but the book itself is just fantastic. The fact it's written from the point of view of two separate people experiencing exactly the same adventure takes a while to get used to, but in the end it just makes the book and the jokes work even better. Good on ya' guys - a masterpiece which I'm sure has now more than repaid Dave's flagging bank balance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, 4 Feb 2002
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
This book is one of the funniest books I've ever read! It's similar to Tony Hawkes' Books 'Round Ireland with a fridge' and Playing Tennis with the Moldovans' (or something like that) in that the book is about someone doing something incredibly strange for no real reason. It is a really difficult book to put the book down and you find yourself thinking 'I'll put the book down after he meets this Dave Gorman' But then he's off again and you have to keep reading until he's met that one. Overall it just a deeply funny book. It's Bizarre and Odd but also incredibly funny. I've bought copies for myself and 3 other people lent my copy to a further four people and we've all loved it. I'd recommend it to anyone though I would advise you not to read it in a public place because it does make you laugh out loud which makes people stare at you in an odd way!

5.0 out of 5 stars How dare they make a book this good?, 13 July 2002
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
I loved the Dave Gorman Collection on TV and when I bought the book I just coudn't put it down! It went into much detail on the aspects of the amazing quest than the TV show never even mentioned. I really felt sorry for Hanne (Danny's suffering girlfriend) and maybe moreso for Dave's bank manager. This book is hillarious. You won't be able to put it down! Its a must for fans of the TV show or those who know what its like to get drunk and make a regrettable bet with a drinking buddy (which I haven't). This has probably been said before but you'll want to change YOUR name to Dave Gorman after reading this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Story of drink and gambling., 30 Oct 2001
This review is from: Are You Dave Gorman? (Paperback)
What happens when you drink a lot of tequila and then bet your flatmate that there are lots of people who share your name? Well, just ask Dave Gorman and his ever suffering flatmate Danny Wallace.
If you've seen the series on TV, then you have to read this book. It leads you further into what happened on the journey to meet 54 Dave Gormans, including Danny's girlfriend Hanne and her shock reaction to finding out about Miss Georgia, Dave's ever increasing Credit Card Bill and how the two really got into, and out of, this hilarious adventure.

Are You Dave Gorman?