5.0 out of 5 stars Great fo the Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fo the Price, 5 Sept. 2012
Chris Downing "Chris Downing" (Chippenham, Wilts England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
This is my first Blu-ray player and I found it very easy to set up - just follow the first pages of the instructions and the menu on the screen - and away we go. The other review about the controller ... I thought there may be problems - but it's fine. Smaller than the Sony and Samsung ones I have, but works fine. Lots of mobiles are smaller so not quite sure what the fuss was about.

Not noisy at all. You'd have to be very picky if you thought this was disturbing - after all, all players have moving parts so it would be rather strange if you heard nothing whilst it sets up - at that early stage the room is silient anyway. But once running I can't hear it at all.

Controls are easy - just what you'd expect if you've had DVD and VHS players before. Set up can be as easy as you want - just use defaults - or as sophisticated - lots and lots of options available. Also seems to sharpen up my older DVds and +R recordings as well. So my older Sony DVD player is now spare and off to eBay or here on Amazon.

Nice black finish, midi sort of width (exactly the same width as my BT Vision box) small readout on the front to cue what's happening, and the unit opens in the front - remember this if you are installing in a cabinet (opens just like a CD player in other words). But it is quite shallow so you could place it further back in a cabinet and still have room for it to open. And don't forget you can't work the remote if they can't see each other - you'll need a glass or grill fronted door on the cab. Cerrtainly nice enough to be left on a top if that's your preferrence.

Don't forget to order a HDMI and Ethernet cable if you don't already have one. Connects to your network by etherrnet for updates amd internet connection. Havn't used that myself yet as the unit works as delivered and this seems to be just an optional extra.

Overall a very nice, quiet, easy to use Blu-ray player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 12 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
Well I have had this fora day so far. What can I say? Excellent little machine. Smooth picture, vibrant colours and well balanced contrast, easy guided set up, and excellent sound(all of this is through a full hd LED TV.
Its a much quieter running sound inside the player than my Sony HD DVD player which I was disappointed with on the new releases of DVD (hence the comment about contrast).
So far I have tried the BD live on Batman Begins and am very pleased with ease of which it was able to connect.
Granted Blu rays do take about 3/5 seconds to load up but that is only a small price to pay for excellent quality picture sound and movie viewing experience.
If you are going to buy a blu ray but don't have the budget to stretch to to hundreds of pounds buy this one.
I know a lot of people are put off at the thought of what their DVD'S will look like, I can honestly say after watching Superman The Movie on DVD through this the upscaling is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect First-Timer, 2 Oct. 2012
Nostalgia (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
As in the case of another reviewer, this is my first blu-ray/dvd player - although I do not as yet have any blu-ray discs - having been attracted by Amazon's price and recent promotional offer of an HDMI and Ethernet cable. The unit has been used every day for a couple of weeks and I have experienced no significant problems playing discs from my collection of dvds, although one or two have refused to load. Admittedly, this may be a problem with the discs although they do work perfectly well on my old dvd player.
As someone else has said, the accompanying instructions are not brilliant, making it a little difficult to initially set up unless you are au fait with the terminology but, with perseverance, this is soon overcome. Unless you have perfect vision, a magnifying glass is also useful when following the owner's manual.
The unit is completely noiseless when in operation, apart from a sort of "whirring" sound when installing a disc and locating tracks but, all in all, I am happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone looking for a basic blu-ray/dvd player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice player, 23 July 2012
J. Chizzy (Plymouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
Apart from the poor service from the Citylink Courier, this Blu Ray player is of excellent quality. It is smart to look at and does everything that you need. Always find Toshiba items are of a good standard. Great price, would definitley recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars A good all-round performer - poor BD error tolerance, 22 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
Sorry folks, originally I gave this player 5 stars, however having played more BD discs, I've noticed that if a blu-ray disc has a very minor disc error (even if disc is clean and dust free), this player tends to freeze up and you have to unplug and start the movie again as the buttons won't work when this happens. I know its a minor disc error as it happens on the exact same frame every time. This has happened on two discs on Disney's" Brave" and on new "Total Recall". Incredibly frustrating especially as it takes a long time to re-load, and unless you fast fast forward or skip the chapter the error occurs at you have to start again. This completely spoils the experience for otherwise a good player. Also noticed that lip-syc can go out as much as 2 seconds, stoping and starting seems to re-adjust this. My previous review follows...

I'm new to HD stuff, but had to buy an LG LED TV after the old tele packed-up. So while on a budget I got this Toshiba BDX1300KB based on reviews.
The setup is is fairly simple (if you know what your tele and AV amp supports), you don't really need instructions. It has digital coaxial audio output, HDMI, and ethernet port.

The play back with DVDs is fantastic, some say that upscaling on Blu-ray players aren't great, but this little player kicks out near blu-ray quality at 1080p (depending on DVD quality). Sound is equally impressive, great channel separation and detail via coaxial, better than my old Pioneer DVD player. As a note my old DVD player best picture came from the component RGB output, but this only gives up to 576p and isn't anywhere as good as this Toshiba's upscaled picture.

Blu-ray seems just as good too. This might be a general thing with Blu-ray but load time takes a good 20 seconds or more so to load (only tried "Prometheus" on Blu-ray), launching menu seems slow, but actual performance of the movie is great.

With DVDs the player is very quiet, but loading blu-ray the unit did make a little more noise than expected when loading the menu, but this vibration disappears when in normal playback.

The build quality is about what you'd expect, the unit is small and light.
There's no 3D playback unfortunately, the only major feature it lacks.
Buttons are quite firm, and the remote is a bit cheap looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanking quality at this price, 14 Feb. 2013
Ajakz "A.J.Kitching" (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
The price of my first blu-ray device was never gonna be an issue, I love my tech! Nevertheless, there was no way I was going to tolerate (at any price) a machine that made any form of annoying whirring noise when in operation. This led me to read masses of user reviews to find the quietest machine out there! Reviews were absolutely crippling for some of the big brand machines which were often outrageously priced. I spent weeks googling the quietest machine until I suddenly realised all I was getting was people complaining about the noise of their machines. It was then that I started to look for reviews that never mentioned whirring noises and this was the machine that had few derogatory comments and not one of noisy operation. At the price, and as basic as it appeared, I had to go for it. The display is rubbish, bright Yellow, tiny, and a primitive 7 segment variety which can only generate the ridiculous alpha characters first displayed on early 70's VCRs. Undaunted, I connected the machine up to a brand new Full HD tv via an hdmi arc cable and was taken aback by the picture quality and there's masses of adjustment available in the setup menu. I have nothing but good things to say about this machine for picture quality and noiseless operation. The remote control is half the size it should be and quite complex for the uninitiated. The device does however, allow basic control via the tv's hdmi connection. There's a sight spin up whirring whilst buffering data at the beginning of a movie as many do, but non-existent during the movie. Picture quality is as good as it gets. highly recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, and feels it, 1 July 2013
Gavin A "Gav" (Manchester, NH, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
I wrongly thought that Toshiba only made high-quality products and so I was quite disappointed with the cheap feel of the product and, especially, the remote. The remote doesn't work more than 6 feet away and requires really hard button presses. The drive makes an horrendous racket while it's idling and it turns on whenever I change the HDMI channel on my HDMI amp. All-in-all, I wouldn't bother again.
Oh, and it crashed completely during Total Recall requiring me to go behind the TV cabinet to unplug it at the mains.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great player, 15 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
This came yesterday, easy to set up, set to 1080p if that's what the telly supports, I like the way it remembers where you got to on a previously watched DVD, it asks to view from the start or where you left off. You can also bookmark and numerous other functions I need to try. Remember you need a HDMI cable. All in all I recommend this player although I've not watched Blue-ray through it yet but normal DVDs are great. As a bonus you get Batman Dark Knight Rising three boxed set until December just for registering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 10 Jun. 2013
Spikey Boy "Spikey Boy" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
So easy. Plugged it in, connected everything up and it was playing excellently. Discs look and sound brilliant. Bonus that I could plug my usb into it and all my music is displayed on the tv screen. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 31 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
Does exactly what I wanted it to, and for a great price as well. Easy to set up and easy to use. If there was one downside, then I'd say it's too light but that really is a very minor criticism.

Toshiba BDX1300KB Blu-ray Player