5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Holst collection - The Planets and well beyond
Excellent value - the only snag for me was that I already had several of these recordings on CD, but, even so, at 7 this was well worth buying to get hold of some of Holst's other pieces that have hardly ever been recorded.

Published 18 months ago by Rob Davies

Published 13 months ago by Tango Oblivion

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Holst collection - The Planets and well beyond, 8 Feb 2013

These are mostly recordings from the 1960s and 1970s, but EMI's analogue recording quality was of a very high standard. The more familiar pieces (The Planets, The Perfect Fool music) are included in recordings that are as good as any ever made (conducted by Boult and Previn respectively). There are other great Holst pieces included that are just as good as The Planets but which are relatively neglected (Egdon Heath, Hymn of Jesus, Choral Fantasia, etc.). The unaccompanied choral music is done very well by the "Baccholian Singers" (actually a group of top-notch vocal soloists such as Ian Partridge) - this performance of The Homecoming is one of the few pieces I've heard where the singers are successful in adopting more-or-less plausible regional accents. And the two short operas are also well worthwhile.

I think I would have preferred Mehuhin's recordings (with the ECO) of the short suites (Beni Mora, etc.) to the Sargent performances that are included here, but that's a very minor quibble.

Anyone who likes The Planets and wants to hear other music by Holst should buy this - 6/7 hours at this price is great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well selected bargain., 7 July 2012
John David Charles Hilton "Creative spark...." (Redcliffe, Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holst: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
A sound and extensive collection of Holst's music.
All of the perfences are alt least good and in many cases truly superb (Boult's The Planets & Choral Symphony, Previn's Egdon Heath, Sargent's Beni Mora and so on).
The sound varies, this is a compilation, but is never less than fine, not least due to using a mixture of new remastering and some of the fine remasters that have appeared over the last decade or so.
At the time of writing it's just 15.99.
The six page essay in the (multilingual) booklet is well written and informative and the one-page timeline is handy.
Recommended to all who love English music and who want to hear more than The Planets and St Paul's Suite.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great selection, good performances recordings show their age., 11 July 2013
This review is from: Holst: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
My headline sums up why I chose the rating. I love all the music. Of the pieces I already own and the recordings are not all recent, several are of better quality, to my ear. I know that this is a subjective matter but some seem thin. the sound-stage was vague and presence (that feeling either that its in your own room or you are in the auditorium )is wanting. I chose this compilation however, for the pieces I didn't already have and the price still made it a bargain. So, keeping this brief, I would say that if you want this selection of pieces at a good price and aren't too fussy about the sound recording quality this is a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertised, 16 Mar 2014
William E Henley (Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holst: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
An interesting collection of pieces. The sound quality is good to excellent. Have enjoyed listening to the known and unknown tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars More to Holst than the Planets, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Holst: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
Prior to getting this set of cd's I knew nothing of Holst's other work. Well worth a listen to, but mostly alone I would think, as much is quiet and lonely stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 8 Jun 2013
Mr. P. Matthews "the woodgnome" (Bradford, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Was looking for a good selection of Holst's works and this definitely fits the bill. Also, 7 hours of wonderful music for less than 8 is excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than The Planets, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Holst: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
My brother's copy of Mars on a 45 was my very early introduction to so called classical music. I knew much of the music in this collection already, but did not have copies of it, while others now languish on vynil. An old school friend of mine was conducted by Sir Adrian Boult, Immogen Host and David Wilcocks. There is not one disc here that does not contan something familiar, but it gives me so much more to explore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive MP3 purchase, 15 Mar 2013
Inexpensive MP3 purchase. CD version is not that costly but MP3 is a lot cheaper. If you like Holst you will probably like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasure, 28 Jan 2013
Mr. A. Wykes (barwell, leicester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Holst. I purchased this on mp3 as it was a lot cheaper than the physical article. It is well played and the recording is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Holst: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
billiant music and bought it for a present .the person was really happy and enjoyed listening to it will worth the wait

Holst: The Collector's Edition
Holst: The Collector's Edition by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2012)