‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Accurate at a Price, 8 Oct 2012
Techman-st - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
I have for some time played with the idea of purchasing a good quality laser measuring device, up till recently I relied on my digital tape measure which is + or - 1mm and I find it very accurate but what lets it down is tape sag when measuring long distances, as the error is accumulative. What made me decide to go ahead was the job I am working on at the moment as there was a lot of very accurate measurements taken to position unistrut in exactly the right place. As it turned out all the very accurate measuring and calculations came to fruition with a spot on job, but it occurred to me that if I could have found a laser measure that was + or - 1mm then the measurements would have been so much easier as we had to use spirit levels and laser levels to align measuring points due to a multitude of various and different sized girders.

After a good look on the internet I came to the conclusion that Leica who I had dismissed for being too expensive were in fact the world leaders in laser measurement. I had initially wanted to buy a Bosch laser measuring device, but found that their accuracy of + or - 1.5mm was unacceptable, I had also looked at Fluke laser measuring devices who I know are world leaders as all my electrical test equipment is made by them, but unfortunately the cost of their device was prohibitive.

Eventually I decided that Leica were the main players and that the Disto D210 was exactly the model that suited me for my type of work, as the ability to take multiple measurements and store up to ten was a plus as was the ability to use a back light if required, as a negative point with my digital tape was the fact that it had no back light and at times it was impossible to read in poor lighting conditions. Another good plus with the D210 was the stake out function where you measure a length and work out how many points you need to include i.e. light distances either fluorescent lights or spot lights, you then input the space measurement into the D210, as you move from the initial measuring point the D210 will indicate via bleeps and indications via the digital readout where the stake out points are. You can use this function on an X/Y basis enabling you to get light positions exactly where you want them with little fuss and dispenses with the use of string lines and is so much easier than using a tape measure.

The D210 is very small and lightweight it is about the size of a small mobile phone but slightly thicker, it also has a rubberised grip on the sides and therefore will not easily slip from your hand. One of the best features for myself of the D120 is measuring up for cables as you can take a reading and add it to the previous reading and you can also use the Pythagoras 2 or 3 point measurement to measure the height of a building without the need to use ladders or perform the Indian rope trick with your tape measure. The time you can save with this distance meter is staggering as when I measure up for cables I always double check the lengths, especially when they are large supply cables as the cost of copper keeps rising, but you easily save serious amounts of time with this meter.

I was initially sceptical when I first started using the D210 as I had previously purchased a cheaper device like this but with unsuccessful results, but when I initially started using the D210 I was checking the results with my digital tape, but I have now began to totally trust the D210. It is very accurate indeed and is just as accurate as my digital tape if not better as you do not have the problem of tape sag, also you can take a measurement in seconds at the touch of a button.

I would recommend this D210 distance meter to anyone who is involved in accurate measurements as long as the + or - 1mm is acceptable to their range of tolerances, I myself do some accurate work and this tolerance range is more than acceptable for the type of work that I do. I am extremely satisfied with the D210 and although it was quite expensive I think that it will more than pay for itself with regard to the time that it will save and also the accuracy that it provides, at the end of the day you only get what you pay for. This Disto D210 distance meter has become a permanent part of my tool kit and it will be the first thing that I reach for when taking a measurement, it is a first class tool that I don't know how I managed without and the manufacturers Leica are a world class company indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent! Worth every penny!, 11 Aug 2012
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
I bought it this week, tested it and the verdict is YES, MONEY WELL SPENT!
I should have bought it long ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accuracy is everything!, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
I have used this product all over the world for surveying steelwork and factory ceilings up to 10m. No more indian rope tricks with a tape measure....Would not be able to do my job without it. When you're flying with hand luggage only, size matters - it's only just bigger than a mobile phone. Accuracy is 1mm over 80 metres - outstanding. I did look at cheaper versions before buying but do the maths with the cheaper ones - accuracy of 1 percent over 20 metres works out at 200mm of possible error. That's scary!

Expensive but worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disto, 21 Mar 2013
G. C. Hurrell (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
This is a wonderful little gadget. It is amazingly easy to use and very accurate. I would recommend it without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit!, 27 Jan 2013
GW Roberts "UK" (UK but currently in UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
Well designed and constructed. Easy to use and comes complete with a little pouch. Simple to operate and accurate. What you would expect from this manufacturer. Good bit of kit, use it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful indeed, 10 Feb 2013
Paul Moloney (Hertfordshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
Although a tape measure can still be useful for some of the smaller measurements, and for the comfort of a non technically based measurement, this tool is really good. Sagging tape measures and unwilling assistants are circumvented neatly. On rough surfaces it can be tricky to aim it and be confident that the beam has taken the shortest route. Perhaps a backing board of known thickness may be helpful. Basically measurements can be taken solo and difficult to reach areas can be included. When I have checked the measurements they have been eerily accurate. The storage of up to 10 readings is really useful for checking measurements and keeping a record when taking measurements in a sequence. It is really helpful to take a series of measurements and as a separate job record them rather than noting each one as you go or even worse kidding yourself that you can remember them.
It is not cheap but it is accurate and obviously very well made. It is nice having a name like Leica written on it. I remember using early cheap digital measures which used to cost around £5 and although they worked well enough they did not last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
My old Leica which I had for many years finally packed in on me and I needed a new one in a hurry
Read the reviews and as it seemed the best option I subsequently ordered it
Arrived on time on a Saturday can't fault it worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars Leica D210 Laser Measure, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
Very good piece of equipment. Not as heavy duty as some but perfect for my purpose at work to carry out surveys of buildings. I like that it keeps and scrolls multiple measurements on screen so that you do not have to keep stopping to record them individually. Quick to use, and laser dot is clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb tool, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
First i wish i had bought this product years ago its amazing. I am a joiner and do a lot of surveying of jobs and this tool is the Easiest and most accurate Measuring device i have ever used it goes with me to all my jobs don't hesitate buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Leica DISTO D210 Laser Distance Measure (DIY & Tools)
Money well spent... has saved so much time on site measuring up !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›