Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£12.98

on 14 May 2012
I own the original recording, part-conducted by Britten himself, and was initially skeptical about this new one. I must admit I was astounded by how great it is. The Italian conductor Gianandrea Noseda brings a great amount of emotive italianate expression and richness to the music which works perfectly with this work and the soloists are perfectly matched. Mix this in with the ever-powerful LSO and the result is a winning recording. Listen to 'Move him into the Sun' and you'll see what I mean... A must-buy in my opinion. Loving the cover image too...)
on 8 May 2012
I've had a copy of Britten's own recording of his War Requiem for about 10 years. I've probably only played it on a couple of occasions, but I know its a great recording all the same. In the space of two days I've listened to this new recording twice as many times. Whereas the Britten is solemn and obviously heartfelt, Noseda's reading is electrifying and as a result it packs more of an emotional impact. The quality of the performance and recording is outstanding. Bostridge is at his absolute finest and Noseda brings flair and precision.
on 22 May 2012
What a stunning rendition of Britten's War Requiem! I am so glad the LSO have decided to release this recording as it is such an important piece of music and fully deserves the care and attention the players, soloists and conductor give it. I am a huge fan of this orchestra and it is SUCH a pleasure to be able to hear them on disc. Being able to analyse their playing is a real bonus. I witnessed this performance live in concert in the Barbican and what a joy it is to be able to re-live over and over again!
on 29 June 2012
A definite collector's item, a "must-have". I urge you to take the time to sit and listen intently to this music. Remember, if you must, that this is not background music as played to bedazzle supermarket trolley pushers. Endeavour to listen and learn, to soak up the whole experience: commit to the music and the performance. If you at first don't really understand, then you are far from being alone, but do persist and come back to your listening . . . and feeling.

More than just music, this is a total experience. Bought from Amazon and delivered in "record" time at the right price.