5.0 out of 5 stars great upgrade
purchased so that i could plug my laptop through Samsung 32" HDTV, this is as it states a upgrade. I already have the Spyder4Pro which is great and you certainly can see the difference unfortunately my eyes are not what they use to be, so I bought this upgrade. It is a manual process but worth it
Published 4 months ago by Duncan Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Spyder4TV HD Review
I purchased the Spyder4TV HD upgrade for my Spyder4 Elite after being very pleased with the results of the calibration and studio match features for my computer monitors.

Published 23 months ago by C. R. Doster

3.0 out of 5 stars Spyder4TV HD Review, 26 Sep 2012
C. R. Doster "ChuckRD" (Wallington, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spyder4TV Upgrade Kit (for Spyder4Pro + Spyder4Elite) (DVD-ROM)

Having previously only used Digital Video Essentials and calibrating by eyeballing various test patterns for contrast and brightness, I was excited to be using a colorimeter in an effort to obtain further improved results over what I already thought was a good looking picture. Following the instructions provided, I reset all my Picture settings on the AV input for my PS3 and changed the color space to Standard before getting started. I found setting the image to Standard to be a HUGE mistake as the image after calibration came out overly bright with little shadow, colors were overly saturated and everyone had a skintone akin to Mr. Krabs from Spongebob Squarepant, even after repeated calibrations. Ultimately I switched the set to cinema mode and got much better skintone and color reproduction. I then repeated this process for AV inputs used for various other devices.

The test patterns are easy to use even if the constant changes; which are performed manually using the remote and not automatically as some sites have advertised, for multiple readings of each setting do tend to leave you with sore thumbs.

The software is somewhat limited in what it is targeting for calibration. The usual suspects Contrast, Brightness, Colour and Colour Temperature are all included along with advertised adjustment for Hue (Tint); however I found I couldn't adjust the Hue when running the NTSC test pattern disc even when my TV always allows Hue adjustment when running other NTSC format discs; just not the NTSC test patterns apparently.

In addition to being unable to change the Hue, there are no tests or configurations for setting the optimum Backlight for an LCD tv, nor were there any tests or calibrations for Gamma or White Balance as my Sony Bravia has independant controls for each. This has left me with a calibration which is as near to reference level as the Spyder4 colorimeter is able to get my display, but the inability to read and display the current R G B vaules so I can tweak those and get the white balance spot on really irks the perfectionist in me.

I could have gladly overlooked the non-functioning Hue and the lack of a Gamma test, but I wish I would have read up on the product a little more to find that it was lacking some calibrations which I had expected prior to spending the money. Proper white balance is key for removing any false colour cast the TV may be adding to the source but disappointment abounds.

In closing the Spyder4 colorimeter is a great piece of kit that won't really break the bank, and does a great job calibrating color profiles for PC monitors. Spyder4TV HD is certainly better than no calibration at all, but it also isn't the one-stop-shop for at-home calibration I was hoping it would be. Had I done more research I almost certainly would have opted to go with another solution at a similar or even more expensive price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars great upgrade, 5 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool, but is it really the best?, 22 Dec 2013
Very good tool, I'm happy I have it.
It takes some time to run it, but the results are great.
Now, my question is: "Am I used to crappy colors and I need time to adapt to the "real colors" or should I try to run the test again?"...

Spyder4TV Upgrade Kit (for Spyder4Pro + Spyder4Elite)
Spyder4TV Upgrade Kit (for Spyder4Pro + Spyder4Elite) by ColorVision (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
50.91