4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little item.
Published 21 months ago by K. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars A cheap up-scaler
I got a faulty one, and have not ordered a replacement. However, the fault on mine was a signal amplification fault which made dark and black areas of the screen appear blue. Therefore I could still assess the other functionality to a reasonable degree.

Published 24 months ago by Chris Downs

3.0 out of 5 stars A cheap up-scaler, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Wii HDMI Converter / Wii to HDMI Converter - Scales Wii Signal to 720p and 1080p - WII TO HDMI WII2HDMI 720P OR 1080P VIDEO CONVERTER ADAPTOR HD HDTV + 3.5MM AUDIO (Personal Computers)

First, this is not as good as using the 480p component connection with a decent cable, but it IS better than using scart (RGB or composite).
The up-scaler works but lacks definition on motion with artefacts showing on, for example, scrolling text. That said, it still beats a scart connection using 576i.

Second, you must configure the Wii to output 60Hz 480p (EDTV) for best results. If you leave it on one of the other 2 modes, the image will be poor.

Mine didn't come with any instructions at all - the small hole on the top is for access to the mode selector. Mine defaulted to 1080p, but using a pen to push this button toggles between that and 720p. Doing so made no difference to the image on-screen, as you would expect; an up-scaled 480p image will look the same at 720p as it will at 1080p. I believe the option is only there to allow compatibility with "HD Ready" TVs and older Plasma screens that are unable to go beyond 720p.

Audio output was fine - I did not test the 3.5 jack, as the audio is carried by the HDMI cable.

I'm giving it 3 stars because this would suit someone without component inputs on their TV, but otherwise not worth it. For the same price or less you can get a component cable and have a much nicer output from your Wii.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little item., 12 April 2013
K. Williams - See all my reviews
Needed to convert the RGB output from my Wii to HDMI as my new telly lacks sufficient analogue inputs. This item works very well, but slightly disappointed with the picture as I was expecting it to be a bit better than the quality of RGB. Despite upscaling, the picture quality is not an improvement in my opinion. Of couse this is probably the result of the less than HD quality output from the Wii. So if you are looking to buy one of these, it should be because like me you needed to convert to digital output - not for an improved picture quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for component or composite cables, 2 Dec. 2014
Alistair (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this so I could plug my Wii into my AV amplifier, so I didn't need to run a separate cable component cable to the TV.

Good points:
Works just fine.
Upscales to 720P or 1080P (it auto selects whichever your TVR can display).
Sound passes through just fine too.
Wouldn't say the image quality is improved much (if at all) over the component cables, but I wasn't expecting it to. As mentioned, it was bought as a convenience rather than for any other reason.

Bad points (really nit picking here):
It is quite long, so if your Wii is normally pushed right back up to something, you will have to move it forwards about 3 inches to clear the device plus a little more for the HDMI cable.

Would be great if it came in Black too. If your Wii is on show somewhere, and it is black one (like mine) it might stand out a bit.

If you need something to let you connect your Wii via HDMI, this it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge difference in picture quality, 4 Dec. 2012
This dongle makes such a difference to the quality of our Wii picture that I felt it should have been included with the Wii package from new.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wii2HDMI, 28 Aug. 2014
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I got this this adapter in search of having the best possible quality the wii can have and was not dissapointef.
It allowed me to get 480p quality which is the sharpest, but was slightly disappointed hoe i couldn't.get the 1080p upscale it highly spoke of. Overall it does improve quality so it does work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent product, 5 Sept. 2013
I am using it with a video projector with an 15m HDMI cable and it' s really upgrading the image quality of Wii.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 2 Mar. 2013
This didn't work for me. Tried various resolution setting out of the Wii to the TV and but none of them worked (despite the description saying they all did).

4.0 out of 5 stars ... our AV setup and I thought it would be useful to have the 'games console' on HDMI, 18 Nov. 2014
M. Rockport - See all my reviews
Bought this as we were chasing new HDMI cables into our wall for our AV setup and I thought it would be useful to have the 'games console' on HDMI. Works well enough for that, definitely... and straight away too (properly plug-and-play). But - on our Sony 55" HD TV at least - doesn't really give any noticeably better a picture or audio than a Wii connected using a composite cable. That may just be us though... on other TV's it may wield more impressive upscale results. Other than that, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product - couldnt have been any simpler or better, 6 Feb. 2013
Due to the lack of Scart sockets on a new TV - i purchased this so that i could plug in the kid's Wii via the HDMI socket. It arrived promptly and took 2 seconds to install. And it works perfect. If this is what you need i would thoroughly recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does nothing it says it will., 17 Oct. 2014
Absolutely terrible product. Does nothing it was said to.

I have the problem that my TV cannot output 576i or 480i which is what all Gamecube games play in, both on their console and the Wii, therefore I needed an Upscaler to do the job. I've tested one before and it worked but it had a lot of problems which I'll go over.

I purchased this one after losing my previous one (likely threw it out because it hardly worked) and I specifically tried to avoid the one I'd originally owned. The one I'd owned before was similar in appearance to what they listed here (white with grey text) but it had blue text and was called Wii 2 HDMI.

That is exactly the same product you will get here despite the picture in the listing.

I tried to give this one a chance thinking that the one I had first was defective. The first one gave me an incredibly dark screen with no physical way to adjust any of the settings. Not even adjusting my TV to the brightest settings made this any clearer. It did, however, output both 1080p and 720p via a small pin hole that would click a small button to change between the two. The image just wasn't clear.

This second one however did absolutely nothing of the kind. I absolutely NEED it to be upscaled to 720p like my previous one did. Upon switching my Wii on however it was only outputting in 480p, which would be fine if the Gamecube games weren't also being put out in their native format of 576i or 480i. I'll be sending this back immediately and getting a refund. I do not want a third one as this product is clearly just incredibly faulty in one way or another. My advice is to go for a more expensive one like the ViewHD. You more than likely get what you pay for when it comes to these anyway..

My advice to anyone that doesn't mind the previous mentioned settings and just needs a higher quality output or lack composite cables (Red, White & Yellow) on their TV is to purchase a Component Cable (Red, Green, Blue, White & Red) unless your TV also doesn't output those and only HDMI. In which case I recommend trying the ViewHD as I will also.