4.0 out of 5 stars Great with an issue or two.
Product Typo! - This product is the Xonar DSX!

I got this soundcard for my HTPC/Gaming PC, It's connected via optical out (using the included COAX adapter) to my A/V Receiver.
The card performs great, is easy to install and does what I need it to do, mostly.

Published 5 months ago by Sol

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a ok sound card and does everything that ...
It is a ok sound card and does everything that most people want it to do but I needed something more advanced for my PC setup.
Published 19 days ago by Afterglow headset

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with an issue or two., 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Asus Xonar DSK 7.1 PCI Express 1.0 Sound Card (Accessory)
Product Typo! - This product is the Xonar DSX!

There are a couple of things you may want to watch out for before picking it up though, For some reason the card just flat out refuses to output at 192KHz for me, Leaving me stuck with 96KHz, This is probably due to the odd method used to get optical out to work, or could be an issue with the included adapter. Sadly I don't have a COAX cable, or likely will have one long enough to try this out.

My other issue was with the driver software, although it's flexible (apart from the above issue) my main issue was with getting the card to output through optical out, To do this in windows, you need to open the driver software and pass the audio through to this channel, This may be why I can't get it to output at 192KHz, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

At the very least, it allows me to output digital audio WITHOUT having to have my HDMI Display enabled on my A/V Receiver, The price wasn't too bad, and it performs well.
I've still to test it with another OS, so please read up first if you're looking to use Optical Out on another OS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually a DSX 7.1 PCI Express Sound card, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonar DSK 7.1 PCI Express 1.0 Sound Card (Accessory)
As I hoped (not having found a DSK Zonar sound card anywhere on the net) this soundcard is actually the DSX.

It installed very easily using the suggested up to date driver from the Asus website.

I previously had a much older Asus Xonar DS card which was cheaper and gave better sound compared to more well known Audigy type sound cards at the time. This Xonar DSX seems to be the same quality, only its nice to be able to download updated drivers lol.

I did find that with my previous sound card, although it gave good quality sound.., after a day or two I'd have to restart my pc because the sound card would make a nasty buzzing sound until I restarted. This was obviously a bit irritating.

I haven't found the same thing happening with this card, thank goodness. The control console is exactly the same. I use wireless headphones a lot, and they seem to work very well with this sound card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great budget sound card, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonar DSK 7.1 PCI Express 1.0 Sound Card (Accessory)
This card replaced a Terratec DMX Fire, which was at its time considered an audiophile audio card as I did not have any free PCI slots after my computer upgrade. The installation was a breeze in Windows 7 64 bit edition, if took the advice of downloading the drivers directly from Asus instead of using the packaged CD.

Generally what sets the audio cards from Asus apart from onboard sound and the current offerings from Creative is the use of very high quality analogue/digital converters and opamps. While the Xonar DX or D2 have better DA-converters at 118 dB instead of 108 dB, it is doubtful that in most application one can hear a difference as the signal-to-noise ratio of CDs due to their quantization error is only 96.3 dB. Other difference to the Xonar DX is that only the front panel connector has a headphone amplifier, thus the back panel connectors are only really useful if they are connected to an Hi-Fi amplifier or active speakers.

Regarding the sound, I have the card connected to a top quality stereo hi-fi system in the 2000+ pounds range and the sound coming from this sound card is noticeably cleaner and more detail rich than on the card it replaced, and features the same neutral sound which I liked about the previous card (if you set the card into its direct HiFi mode, which bypasses all sound effects). So this card sounds very good, especially for its price, and is a very cheap and yet very good sounding option to connect a computer to a hifi system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Sounds through HDMI Via spdif, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Asus Xonar DSK 7.1 PCI Express 1.0 Sound Card (Accessory)
Just got this and put it in the computer and pug the lead into the video card to the sound card and it worked got the sound Through the TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Xonar 7.1, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Asus Xonar DSK 7.1 PCI Express 1.0 Sound Card (Accessory)
Performs as advertised with very clear sound from a 5.1 system. Takes a bit of getting used to the settingsw though.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a ok sound card and does everything that ..., 10 Aug 2014