5.0 out of 5 stars the secret of weightloss is finally revealed
I bought this book because it was 99p on kindle and I had been losing weight but could feel my motivation starting to slide and I figured I was bound to get 99p worth of value from it. But actually my bargain buy has changed my life.

Published on 7 Sep 2012 by emma-ann

3.0 out of 5 stars On the right track, but over-complicated and uninspiring
I think this book is attacking the right issue, but for me the approach taken doesn't greatly appeal.

Published 3 months ago by G. Caplan

5.0 out of 5 stars the secret of weightloss is finally revealed, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person (Kindle Edition)

Beck starts by assuming that the reason the reader hasn't lost weight before is not that they are weak willed or greedy or whatever else the wannabe dieter has called themselves over the years, rather that they simply do not have the right skills and techniques to successfully lose weight. This is a refreshing approach for those of us who are yoyo dieters and who have blamed ourselves for not managing to lose weight in a sustained and long term way.

Step by step she takes the reader through a programme which helps us to reframe food and eating. But you don't just learn from her, you learn from yourself too. So she gets you to undertake exercises which help you to see that you can, for example, tolerate hunger. Or leave food on your plate. Each part has a section at the end called 'sabotaging thoughts' where I'd swear she is looking right into my mind. This means that you do end up doing the exercises because she has already foreseen the ways in which you will sabotage yourself to not do them. The stuff she says makes so much sense that you wonder why you didn't know it before.

As a caution though, this is not a book you read and get given the secret, you need to put the work into it. As I worked my way through the exercises, it became really clear how I gained weight and why I was overweight. And what I needed to do to lose it. This took work and time and energy. Though Beck helps you to think about how to find the time and she is really clear that putting time and energy into your weightloss is going to be vital to success.

I've just finished the book and have lost over a stone in weight. I had already lost some weight on my own when I started it but was getting to the stage where I normally go off the rails and gain it all back (I've done this many many times before so I recognised the signs). I'm now lighter than I have been in years and I know that I will continue to lose weight till I get to my goal which is another stone or so away. I've even had a holiday in Italy (the land of the amazing food and wine) where I maintained my weight - something that I could not have even conceived of when I started doing the programme. My confidence and motivation are sky high. I am going to continue keeping a weight loss journal and revisiting relevant chapters in the book for the forseeable future just to give myself some insurance.

And at least in the end Dr Beck got her money's worth out of me - I've also bought the book for a couple of friends who asked me the secret of my weight loss.

I can't recommend this book highly enough, it has changed my life. Please please if you've been struggling with weightloss for years, buy it and follow the programme. Because where I am now feels amazing!!

***********Edited May 2013, eight months after the original review. I just wanted to add that I'm now another stone lighter than I was when I originally reviewed the book in September 2012. My BMI then was 26, now it's 23.8. I gained a little through Christmas and Easter (and a springtime holiday) but each time lost it again within a few weeks - remembering that naturally slim people also gain weight, they just make a point of losing it again afterwards. I'm still probably a few lbs off my eventual target weight but I'm not in a hurry, I know I'll get there. And it feels great going into summer without having to take off the stone (often more!) that I normally gain through the winter.

As an aside, I also passed the book to a friend around the time I wrote the original review - she has lost just over two stone.

Just wanted to make clear this isn't just a quick fix, it's a change for life. I've also changed many other things in my life using the same CBT principles Beck suggests - I'm much more focused and energised at work and in my home life. If you want to lose weight, do yourself a favour and buy this book***********

4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful addition to a dieter's armoury, 14 Sep 2008
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
OK first off - my review is NOT based on just reading the book and thinking 'Oh that sounds wonderful'. I read the book 6 months ago and now I weigh 28lbs less than I did then. So I'm writing with that experience to back up my thoughts here!
First of all, this book is NOT a diet book; you have to choose two diets to use with it (they have to be healthy diets, which aim for a 1-1.5lb loss per week, not a crash-diet). This book aims to give you the psychological tools that you need to succeed with the diets you have chosen.
The two diets I used were: 1. WeightWatchers online (that was my primary diet) and 2. Audrey Eyton's F2 diet (that was my 'back-up' plan for when I couldn't count points, as the WeightWatchers diet requires you to).
So - this book is a step-by-step, 'deal with your obstacles' course: it teaches you how to deal with sabotaging thoughts such as 'It's my birthday, I DESERVE a treat', or 'Just one biscuit won't matter'. It also teaches you that hunger is not an emergency! One day, you even have to go without food between breakfast and dinner, just so that you learn that you won't die from hunger. You also have to write everything down that you eat (that's true on the WeightWatchers programme too), and plan what you are going to eat the day before. A big lesson that I learnt (sounds very obvious, but it's true!) is that life ISN'T fair - there ARE some people who can eat a lot more than me and stay slim, but I can't: tough. If I want to be slim, I have to accept my limits.

I didn't stick to all of her advice, but I certainly used a lot of it to help me stick to WeightWatchers when I felt hungry, bored, fed up etc; etc;. And now I'm 28lbs lighter and ready to embark on the 'maintenance' phase.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is serious about losing weight and who is prepared to tackle some lessons which at first sight may sound rather strange, but which actually do help you to stay the course.

Good luck to everyone else!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, 28 Sep 2008
E. L. Brown "ebrown202" (London) - See all my reviews
I have read many books over the years in an effort to break my overeating/yo-yo dieting patterns and I think this book might have actually helped me to do so.

The book uses the principles of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help you train yourself to have a better relationship with food and approach dieting in a sensible and realistic way. The book does not contain a food plan - you select two sensible diets of your choice - instead it gives you the tools to follow your chosen diet plan successfully. It is set out with some explanatory chat first and then a daily journal (covering 42 days) with a separate concept for each day, a to do list and space to write your own solutions/responses etc. Although you have to undertake to put some time aside everyday it didn't take me more than 10-20 mins each morning to read and think out my strategy. A lot of what Dr Beck says is just common sense but it made me question some of my old assumptions and unhelpful ways of thinking that i had taken to be true for a very long time. Whilst following the programme I lost 10 pounds and since completing it I have found it easy to continue to follow the principles and have lost a further stone in 9 weeks. It is still early days but the weight has stayed off and it has not been as difficult as usual to maintain. I feel more positive than I have done in a long time.

The book will not take the place of therapy for anyone with serious food issues but for those of us who have just got lost over the years in a dieting haze this book is perfect. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Working for me, 14 Feb 2013
Took this book slowly, day by day. Not sure how much merit there is by rushing it but by allowing myself the full 2 weeks to start making new habits before I started the actual healthy eating (don't like to call it a diet, it's more of a lifestyle change) I think things had become more "embedded".

You name the excuse, this lady's heard it (barring medical complaints in which case this book isn''t for you and she tells you so) and comes up with an alternative way of thinking or dealing with it. If you are the kind of person who thinks they have failed because they've had a biscuit and therefore "ruined" your diet (and keeps on eating cr*p because you'll start again tomorrow) then this is the book for you.

I am ten pounds down and shrinking. Hope it works for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 10 Nov 2012
This is great self help book and good to work through systematically. wouldnt buy it again in kindle edition as miss out on some of the worksheets etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Just makes so much sense, 14 Aug 2012
Artie Fufkin (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For those of you who have bought this as a Kindle edition (or don't want to write in your hardcopy), all of the worksheets are available free as PDFs from the Beck Diet website - [...]. You can also sign up for the newsletter and the website is updated everyday with a new diet tip. There's a lot of extra motivational information available.

As for the book, it just makes so much sense. There are no gimmicks, just a really sensible plan and it makes it easy to stick to your diet (whichever one you've chosen). As I bought this on Kindle, I have created Word documents for my Response cards instead of writing them out on Index cards. Then I emailed the docs to my Kindle email account and downloaded them to my Android phone. Now I have the book and the Response cards with me at all times in the Kindle App.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing (maybe life-saving) book., 14 Oct 2009
If you've struggled to achieve and maintain weight loss, BUY THIS BOOK NOW and train yourself, basically, to make a true friend of your worst enemy - you!
After a lifetime of self-loathing, yo-yo dieting, gym classes, eating disorder workshops, self-help groups etc., I had come to terms and even learned to love my (oversize) self some years ago. Hitting 50 made me rethink my 'acceptance'. I couldn't change my age but I should take responsibility finally for being as healthy as possible. The result: I now look and feel 15 years younger.
I did find a great dietician, but I knew that was no guarantee as he wasn't the first: my problem was 'me' not the wrong diet or the wrong doctor or the wrong slimming club etc!
The ONLY reason I 'did it' and did it properly this time, was this book. (And only after starting the book did I decide to make my first appointment with the dietician - though as Dr Beck says any sensible diet will do.) WARNING:
If you have no knowledge or experience of cognitive therapy
it would be very easy to dismiss this book as too simple, too repetitive, as well as irritating in its bizarre use of font styles and sizes, but this would be a grave error. All those things are deliberate and an essential part of a method that works. So if you can get past that & just put a little effort into doing exactly what Dr Beck says, however banal it may seem, I promise you'll see the results and they will be lasting. What have you got to lose (except the weight)?
This book helped me change my life, enormously, I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 16 Nov 2010
This isn't an actual diet book However it does provide a lot of techniques and strategies in how to implement an effective diet and stick to it and also how to stay eating healthily for the rest of your life. I found most of them to be very useful. In particular I liked the idea of writing response cards and the anti-craving strategies. At times it could get a little repetitive but in general it was well written and easy to understand.

3.0 out of 5 stars On the right track, but over-complicated and uninspiring, 7 Aug 2014
G. Caplan (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews

The issue that Beck addresses is perhaps the most neglected in the whole fat-loss field: the formation of robust habits of constraint and moderation around food. It's based on the assumption that we simply lack the right tools to change our behaviour successfully.

The diet industry's obsession with finding some magical eating formula (low-fat vs low-carb vs paleo vs vegan etc etc ad infinitum) is all but drowning out the much simpler and more important issue of how to control our eating. The human body is highly adaptable and the search for the perfect diet is surely futile. I'm increasingly convinced that what we need to relearn is how to eat in moderation, consistently, for the rest of our lives.

It's when you compare the US and the UK to other countries that you release how gluttonous our eating culture has become. In Japan, for example, where only 3% of the population is obese as against 33% in the US and 24% in the UK, moderation in eating is highly valued socially and people eat sensible portions of nutritious and tasty food without continuous snacking. In the US and the UK, we've somehow fallen into eating too much and too often. We eat in the office, in the car, in the streets, in the cinema, in front of the TV...And portions get bigger and bigger. The reasons for the changes in our eating habits are complex, I think, but if 120 million Japanese can eat moderately there is surely no reason why I can't learn to do the same.

But how do we get from here to there? How do we relearn restraint? Simply telling people that they are weak and greedy is uncompassionate and ineffective. We now know that food is as addictive as opiates and mere willpower is all too often overwhelmed. We need effective tools for changing our addictive behaviour, and in many fields CBT is much the most proven modality for achieving behavioural change. Judith Beck is a highly respected figure in the CBT community, so surely this book is the answer?

Except that I feel it has a couple of major flaws.

First, it greatly complicates the process. It is highly programmed, with no less than 42 steps (and there's a supplementary workbook too), by which point there are 24 activities you are supposed to review on a daily basis. Good grief - does it really have to be so complicated? It's pretty hard to form 1 good habit, never mind 24. Most of us need to cut back by 500 calories or so to reduce, and then by 200 or so to maintain our weight. It's not really such a big deal and it seems to me that 24 changes is overkill. In my experience of psychology and counselling, attempting to change 24 habits in 42 days is very over-ambitious and failure prone, and the research backs me up. Far better, I would argue, to identify the 3 or 4 priority issues that are sabotaging your personal weight-loss and focus on them laser-like one at a time till each new habit becomes bomb-proof.

Secondly, and this is more subjective, I found the book uninspiring and joyless. Food should be a celebration, and I feel that this approach has lost touch with that. The first time I read it, some years back, I liked what it was trying to do but it didn't inspire me to take action. I really don't want to have this kind of relationship with food.

My first attempt at permanent fat loss has failed as the weight crept back and I'm looking to focus more on the habit-forming dimension second time around. So I've re-read this book, but still feel it's off-track. I'll mine it for ideas, but I've learned more from the habit-forming advice on John Berardi's Precision Nutrition website (prioritize the issues and tackle them one at a time), from Leo Babauta's The Power of Less (a minimalist approach to habit formation), Meg Selig's Changepower (a more detailed approach that might work better if you're facing serious issues with food addiction) and Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating (on neglected reasons for over-eating and the cumulative power of small changes).

Given the overwhelming and urgent importance of addressing the obesity explosion I find it surprising that there isn't a simple, practical, validated approach to improving eating habits. Precision Nutrition comes closest, I think, and seems to have a good success rate. So I'm going to base my second (and hopefully final!) approach on their advice, supplemented by insights from the other sources I've quoted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside the Mind of the Thin, 22 Nov 2010
This book uses cognitive psychology to help you lose weight. Cognitive psychology is based on the concept that the way you think affects how you feel and what you do. Cognitive therapy, then, helps you identify your self-defeating thinking and helps you respond to it so you can feel better and behave in helpful ways. Instead of leading you step-by-step through a diet plan, this book addresses the psychology behind why you can't get yourself to follow one and lose weight. In this book, you pick the diet (and an alternative as a back up), and the book helps you follow it.

The set-up of the book is a six-week plan. Week 1 is laying the groundwork, where you pick 2 diets. Week 2 is getting prepared to diet, Week 3 is starting the diet, Week 4 looks into responding to sabotaging thoughts, Week 5 is about overcoming challenges, such as staying in control when you go out to eat, and Week 6 is fine tuning things.

All-in-all, I'd have to say that its a great resource to address the psycholgical side of eating. There's no magic to it, just a little looking inside yourself and addressing any barriers you have that may be holding you back. Readers may also enjoy The Sixty-Second Motivator to address motivation issues as well.