What is there to say about The Twelve by Justin Cronin? So much has been said already.

The Characters.

Published 9 months ago by ADS

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed
Published 17 months ago by Miss Carol A Holmes

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
First of all I'd like to get this out of the way. The Passage is one of my favourite ever books, it deserved its comparisons to the Stand, and in my opinion was the better novel. I liked the change in pace, the variation of style, I adored it and appreciated being introduced to the word 'subsumed'. I felt I travelled that journey with them, didn't want it to end. And I really looked forward to continuing the saga with The Twelve.

It starts well, you get involved with the characters, from Last Stand in Denver to the school bus, you're quickly drawn into the story, the survivors and look forward to at least finding out their eventual fate...except you don't. Not really. A whole bus load of passengers disappears into obscurity. (or does it? I found myself beyond caring)

The switch to post virus starts with a picnic that turns to disaster, then we have half to three quarters of a book with not a lot happening. I can barely remember the details of what did and frankly want to forget. It does get going somewhat later on, some details had me puzzled, but I put that down to trying to get through the boring parts as fast as possible and not picking up everything. The last few chapters were quite gripping - some bits made me feel quite emotional but they were no means enough payback for the dull rubbish that had preceded.

In short; overlong, could use a touch of editing and apparently owes some inspiration to Harry Potter. And the few good bits are what elevated it to a two star.

2.0 out of 5 stars A massive let down, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear. After being absolutely blown away by The Passage, I immediately launched into The Twelve, only to become more and more disillusioned as time went on. By the end I was speed reading, skipping whole sections just to get it over with.

Where The Passage was bleak, and unremitting with peril round every corner and well-rounded characters dropping like flies in a gut-wrenching manner, The Twelve is full of convenient escapes, a total lack of threat, characters miraculously surviving impossible situations, returning from the dead etc etc. It turns into a pointless and tedious action adventure, with no suspense as all the main characters by now seem to be completely impervious to any real threat. Where the outside world was a dark and dangerous place before, where the slightest contact meant instant death in all likelihood, now it is essentially a safari. At the end, it really was just a bunch of stuff that happened, with no emotional weight whatsoever.

Its really, truly best just to read The Passage and leave the story there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nearly gave up on it., 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
God this book was terrible!!!!!!!! I read The Passage, quite enjoyed it and wanted to read The Twelve to put the story to rest. I found it badly written, it was frustrating that when you started a new chapter, you were almost on the next page before you knew which group of people were in the plot. I really feel that the author just made it up as he went along. I put the book on audio on my kindle but fell asleep as I was listening to it. I woke and saw that I had slept through 10% of the book. I decided not to go back and actually found that I never missed anything at all. The story never flowed easily and left alot of unanswered questions, though not enough that I would ever buy a sequel. I congratulate myself for actually finishing it. There are so many good books out there and life is too short to read The Twelve.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm rather disappointed, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Twelve (Hardcover)
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed The Passage, I awaited the publication of The Twelve with anticipation. I checked-out some of the early reader reviews which, to say the least were very mixed. I have to agree with earlier reviews that wrote of their disappointment that a thrilling first half was sadly let down by a meandering second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crafted, poetically written, heart rending follow-up to The Passage., 24 Jun 2013
ADS (United Kindom) - See all my reviews

The Characters.

Having re-read The Passage before attacking the 600 odd pages of The Twelve (although the author does a biblical style summary of the events of The Passage at the start of the second book, it didn't capture the spirit of the characters enough for me to feel that I 'knew' them again), it was a bit unnerving to discover a whole new set of characters added to the already full list of protagonists. Although I was worried that I would be unable to follow the stories of this new group, Cronin writes them in such a way that you cannot fail to remember them. Still, the author juggles many balls in the air and you have to keep your eyes on his hands. Seeing the main characters again was like meeting old friends. Though years have passed and they've all changed since the events of The Passage, they still retain the essence of who they were, some more than others. The biggest change, and one that felt a bit rushed to me, was with Amy, more than halfway through the book. Amy's transition felt like the birth of another character, a new Amy, an Amy I was going to have to get to know all over again. Yet, it kind of had to happen. Although strong in spirit, the old Amy felt fragile, physically frail in the face of the challenges that she was destined to face. The new Amy is complete, physically, spiritually and emotionally as solid as a rock. Or almost there. I was pleased to see Carter & Wolgast again, and was thrilled with what Cronin chose to do with these two characters, as he did with Greer and The Circuit.

The Plot.

Before reading The Twelve, I saw many reviews criticising the author for the 'randomness' of the first 25-30% of the book. Last Stand in Denver and all that came afterwards in Iowa seemed like a waste of words and plot line to many fans of the first book. 'What the hell was Cronin thinking?' was the general gist of these reviews. When you read the notes by the author at the end of The Passage, of how this story came about with the help of his daughter on long, lazy runs in the sun, you begin to grasp the complexity of the plot that Cronin has weaved. There is no randomness to this story. Each scene, each birth, each death, has a meaning that will (hopefully) come to light with the last book in the trilogy next year, all the pieces of the final, massive, awesome jigsaw welding together into an epic ending, an ending that Cronin has already mapped out. I know many wish that the story would have continued straight-on from the final events of The Passage, in a race for the final battle, but that is not the style of this story or the storyteller. Also, many found Cronin's habit of interlacing past and present confusing and 'jumpy'. I have to say, I did have trouble trying to keep up with the timeline, but in the end, that didn't matter too much.

The Writing.

Not much to say here except that the poetic rhythm of Cronin's writing will either captivate or irritate. For me, it was the former. It felt like hearing a song on paper.

The scenes that stood out for me: The taking of Fort Powell, the man and the boy in each other's arms. Peter in the cage (I cried at that one). Alicia in the lion's den. Amy in chains, the evolution of the Girl from Nowhere, Wolgast the defender. And finally, the love of a father and a daughter ( cried again).

So, all in all, bravo Mr.Cronin for a story well told and a cast of characters that will stay with me for a long time. I hope you do them all justice with the final book in the trilogy next year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
Having read The Passage and enjoyed it immensely I waited with anticipation to read The Twelve. Some fantastic parts to it, specific events were gripping and well written. Overall I found the plot too confusing and the characters hard to follow. I found myself speed reading to get to the next event. Good but not great like The Passage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not half as good as The Passage, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
I have been waiting to read this book for over a year and constantly scoured the internet for news of its release. As soon as I could I downloaded it to my beloved Kindle and prepared to block out the world for a few days and take myself back to Cronin's apocalyptic world which I had so loved in the first book of this trilogy, The Passage. The first half didn't disappoint and without giving the plot away the whole section about Kittridge 'last stand in Denver' was probably better than anything I have read in the 2 books so far. When Danny was driving that bus just after the virus had been let loose I cheered and cried both at the same time. However, the second half of the book goes off at a complete tangent and now the war is against other human survivors and factions. I found the comparisons with the Nazi death camps and The Homeland quite startling, unnecessary and distasteful. Cronin has lost his way with this book and as has been mentioned in other reviews the endless edition of new characters makes it ever more confusing. In the latter half my heart would sink as a new character was added and I had to work out who they were related to or how they fitted in. To sum up I could have read about Kittridge and co. forever but the rest of the book is just average and the plotline doesn't really follow on from the first book. It is as though Cronin has written another story and just added it in for good measure because he couldn't think of anything else which I find bizarre to say the least. I am giving 3 stars mainly because of the sheer accomplishment of this work and I will go on to read the final part of this trilogy on its release but please Mr Cronin get back to the original theme of The Passage which was oh so much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Passage, 14 Feb 2013
Bakey (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
I read The Passage last year, thought it was one of the best books I'd ever read, easily as good as Stephen King's The Stand and I couldn't wait until the second novel in the trilogy was released. I've just finished reading it and although it was good it didn't live up to my expectations. The first half of the novel was excellent, fast paced, difficult to put down and didn't disappoint. For me the second half was nowhere near as good, I felt it was confusing and disjointed, I began to not care just wanting to get the novel finished and hoping it would improve towards the end but unfortunately it didn't. I wonder if this book is setting the scene for the final one in the trilogy and that perhaps three books in this series wasn't needed and if the story could have been told over 2 novels instead?
I will still read the final book when it's released and hopefully it will be up to the high standards of The Passage and first half of The Twelve.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 16 Nov 2012
Robert Phillips "Rob" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twelve (Hardcover)
As has been mentioned in a lot of reviews, I loved The Passage and was a little worried about how The Twelve would turn out.

I loved the first half, it was fast moving, exciting and had a few twists I didn't see coming - I couldn't put it down. But then something went dreadfully wrong.

The virals - and especially the twelve - couldn't really be as frightening in the second book, as we had already learned too much about them, but they were turned into absolute jokes which was a real shame.

And the last few chapters? Oh dear. You can tell that the film rights have already been sold and the end was written like a really pathetic Hollywood action film. All those completely cheesy old moments that were bad even the first time you saw them and then just plain embarrassing in the multitude of films after that were squeezed in. You could just see them on the big screen, remembering all those dreadful films you have seen where you think "why on Earth did the script writer and director put that old drivel in there?"

Yes, I will buy number 3 because I want to see what happens. I just hope the cheesy sell-out to Hollywood will disappear and some real story telling is reestablished!

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
After reading the passage i was very excited to get stuck into this book. However i was greatly disappointed the book jumped all over the place left i found it confusing and disappointing not going to attempt the last book when it comes out.

ARRAY(0xad52cd50)