4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping but too many characters
Published 6 months ago by Sarah78

2.0 out of 5 stars A massive let down
Oh dear. After being absolutely blown away by The Passage, I immediately launched into The Twelve, only to become more and more disillusioned as time went on. By the end I was speed reading, skipping whole sections just to get it over with.

Published 14 months ago by Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars A massive let down, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)

Where The Passage was bleak, and unremitting with peril round every corner and well-rounded characters dropping like flies in a gut-wrenching manner, The Twelve is full of convenient escapes, a total lack of threat, characters miraculously surviving impossible situations, returning from the dead etc etc. It turns into a pointless and tedious action adventure, with no suspense as all the main characters by now seem to be completely impervious to any real threat. Where the outside world was a dark and dangerous place before, where the slightest contact meant instant death in all likelihood, now it is essentially a safari. At the end, it really was just a bunch of stuff that happened, with no emotional weight whatsoever.

Its really, truly best just to read The Passage and leave the story there.

2.0 out of 5 stars A LONG WAIT, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Twelve (Hardcover)
i was waiting for this book to come out for ages and i was expecting a sequel as good as the first . Sadly , i believe the author left too long a gap in between writing as this book feels disconected to the first book . The author lost his way half way through and i could not finish reading it after page 300. I have so many books to read so i did not waste anymore time on it. I wont be reading part 3 .

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping but too many characters, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the passage, by far the best book I'd read in ages. Had to wait a long time for this one to come out and by the time I got to read it I'd forgotten a lot of the characters names. Spent a lot of time having to skim back to figure out who the people were in the current chapter...saying that, once I'd got all the players straight in my head it was brilliant.

Loved the development of the original heroes, and thought Amy's growth was very well depicted. Can't wait now for the climax in the third book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Passage, 14 Feb 2013
Bakey (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
I read The Passage last year, thought it was one of the best books I'd ever read, easily as good as Stephen King's The Stand and I couldn't wait until the second novel in the trilogy was released. I've just finished reading it and although it was good it didn't live up to my expectations. The first half of the novel was excellent, fast paced, difficult to put down and didn't disappoint. For me the second half was nowhere near as good, I felt it was confusing and disjointed, I began to not care just wanting to get the novel finished and hoping it would improve towards the end but unfortunately it didn't. I wonder if this book is setting the scene for the final one in the trilogy and that perhaps three books in this series wasn't needed and if the story could have been told over 2 novels instead?
I will still read the final book when it's released and hopefully it will be up to the high standards of The Passage and first half of The Twelve.

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
After reading the passage i was very excited to get stuck into this book. However i was greatly disappointed the book jumped all over the place left i found it confusing and disappointing not going to attempt the last book when it comes out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
First of all I'd like to get this out of the way. The Passage is one of my favourite ever books, it deserved its comparisons to the Stand, and in my opinion was the better novel. I liked the change in pace, the variation of style, I adored it and appreciated being introduced to the word 'subsumed'. I felt I travelled that journey with them, didn't want it to end. And I really looked forward to continuing the saga with The Twelve.

It starts well, you get involved with the characters, from Last Stand in Denver to the school bus, you're quickly drawn into the story, the survivors and look forward to at least finding out their eventual fate...except you don't. Not really. A whole bus load of passengers disappears into obscurity. (or does it? I found myself beyond caring)

The switch to post virus starts with a picnic that turns to disaster, then we have half to three quarters of a book with not a lot happening. I can barely remember the details of what did and frankly want to forget. It does get going somewhat later on, some details had me puzzled, but I put that down to trying to get through the boring parts as fast as possible and not picking up everything. The last few chapters were quite gripping - some bits made me feel quite emotional but they were no means enough payback for the dull rubbish that had preceded.

In short; overlong, could use a touch of editing and apparently owes some inspiration to Harry Potter. And the few good bits are what elevated it to a two star.

2.0 out of 5 stars What has happened, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Twelve (Hardcover)
As with other reviewers I concur, The Passage was one of the best books I have read.
That said upon completetion I could not wait for the follow up. It concluded with a real cliffhanger. I constantly checked the web to see when the follow up was due for release in the UK.
The great day arrived and I purchased The Twelve.
Give it a chance, give it a chance, The Passage started slowly.
I gave it a chance, all 565 pages and was left frustrated and somewhat annoyed at the lack of quality of the follow up.
Good charachters (last stand in Denver) just fade away never to return.
Long, god so long boring passages of descriptions, meaningless pointless dreams that everyone seems to have.

The Passage had an almost tranquil feel about it with the mountain retreat and the Amy/Wolgast chapters.
Suddenly The Twelve presents us we a full on surviving city of some 70,000 !!!
And vehicles 100 years old that still work on tyres that have not perished !!!

The story jumps back and to through time periods you are constantly working out where you are. If I left the book a couple of days I had to check the inside back cover for the list of players and what time zone they belonged to.

The first book was so good I wonder if other things are at play here.
The film rights were sold for a considerable sum on The Passage and The Twelve does seem to have scenes which would lend themselves to spectacular Hollywood special effects. The author himself refers to 'team Cronin'....I wonder.

The book is a massive let down and the final insult is the epilogue with its non sensical rambling paragraphs that made little or no sense to me. The ultimate full stop because I will not be partaking of book 3.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not half as good as The Passage, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
I have been waiting to read this book for over a year and constantly scoured the internet for news of its release. As soon as I could I downloaded it to my beloved Kindle and prepared to block out the world for a few days and take myself back to Cronin's apocalyptic world which I had so loved in the first book of this trilogy, The Passage. The first half didn't disappoint and without giving the plot away the whole section about Kittridge 'last stand in Denver' was probably better than anything I have read in the 2 books so far. When Danny was driving that bus just after the virus had been let loose I cheered and cried both at the same time. However, the second half of the book goes off at a complete tangent and now the war is against other human survivors and factions. I found the comparisons with the Nazi death camps and The Homeland quite startling, unnecessary and distasteful. Cronin has lost his way with this book and as has been mentioned in other reviews the endless edition of new characters makes it ever more confusing. In the latter half my heart would sink as a new character was added and I had to work out who they were related to or how they fitted in. To sum up I could have read about Kittridge and co. forever but the rest of the book is just average and the plotline doesn't really follow on from the first book. It is as though Cronin has written another story and just added it in for good measure because he couldn't think of anything else which I find bizarre to say the least. I am giving 3 stars mainly because of the sheer accomplishment of this work and I will go on to read the final part of this trilogy on its release but please Mr Cronin get back to the original theme of The Passage which was oh so much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then the King!, 14 May 2014
Exstremely well writing, a thriller you won't soon forget - and compelling and believable characters on top of that. I'f you're seeking a new twist on the vampire genre.. This is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 8 May 2014
After reading some of the reviews on here I was not looking forward to the book but I actually really liked it! I almost...'almost'...want to say I liked it more than The Passage.

The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2