5.0 out of 5 stars well written and a good read.
I read the first book in this series when my daughter brought it home for me from a charity shop and as soon as i finished it i ordered this one immediately as i couldn't put it down, really interesting and believable characters and an engrossing story, well written and a good read.
Published 2 months ago by lizweb61

2.0 out of 5 stars A massive let down
Oh dear. After being absolutely blown away by The Passage, I immediately launched into The Twelve, only to become more and more disillusioned as time went on. By the end I was speed reading, skipping whole sections just to get it over with.

Published 17 months ago by Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars A massive let down, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)

Where The Passage was bleak, and unremitting with peril round every corner and well-rounded characters dropping like flies in a gut-wrenching manner, The Twelve is full of convenient escapes, a total lack of threat, characters miraculously surviving impossible situations, returning from the dead etc etc. It turns into a pointless and tedious action adventure, with no suspense as all the main characters by now seem to be completely impervious to any real threat. Where the outside world was a dark and dangerous place before, where the slightest contact meant instant death in all likelihood, now it is essentially a safari. At the end, it really was just a bunch of stuff that happened, with no emotional weight whatsoever.

Its really, truly best just to read The Passage and leave the story there.

2.0 out of 5 stars What has happened, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Twelve (Hardcover)
As with other reviewers I concur, The Passage was one of the best books I have read.
That said upon completetion I could not wait for the follow up. It concluded with a real cliffhanger. I constantly checked the web to see when the follow up was due for release in the UK.
The great day arrived and I purchased The Twelve.
Give it a chance, give it a chance, The Passage started slowly.
I gave it a chance, all 565 pages and was left frustrated and somewhat annoyed at the lack of quality of the follow up.
Good charachters (last stand in Denver) just fade away never to return.
Long, god so long boring passages of descriptions, meaningless pointless dreams that everyone seems to have.

The Passage had an almost tranquil feel about it with the mountain retreat and the Amy/Wolgast chapters.
Suddenly The Twelve presents us we a full on surviving city of some 70,000 !!!
And vehicles 100 years old that still work on tyres that have not perished !!!

The story jumps back and to through time periods you are constantly working out where you are. If I left the book a couple of days I had to check the inside back cover for the list of players and what time zone they belonged to.

The first book was so good I wonder if other things are at play here.
The film rights were sold for a considerable sum on The Passage and The Twelve does seem to have scenes which would lend themselves to spectacular Hollywood special effects. The author himself refers to 'team Cronin'....I wonder.

The book is a massive let down and the final insult is the epilogue with its non sensical rambling paragraphs that made little or no sense to me. The ultimate full stop because I will not be partaking of book 3.

1.0 out of 5 stars complicated, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
This book got far to complicated, it jumped too much from situation to situation, if it comes together at the end so what? I got so bored with it I couldn't finish it trashed it of mt Kindle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not half as good as The Passage, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
I have been waiting to read this book for over a year and constantly scoured the internet for news of its release. As soon as I could I downloaded it to my beloved Kindle and prepared to block out the world for a few days and take myself back to Cronin's apocalyptic world which I had so loved in the first book of this trilogy, The Passage. The first half didn't disappoint and without giving the plot away the whole section about Kittridge 'last stand in Denver' was probably better than anything I have read in the 2 books so far. When Danny was driving that bus just after the virus had been let loose I cheered and cried both at the same time. However, the second half of the book goes off at a complete tangent and now the war is against other human survivors and factions. I found the comparisons with the Nazi death camps and The Homeland quite startling, unnecessary and distasteful. Cronin has lost his way with this book and as has been mentioned in other reviews the endless edition of new characters makes it ever more confusing. In the latter half my heart would sink as a new character was added and I had to work out who they were related to or how they fitted in. To sum up I could have read about Kittridge and co. forever but the rest of the book is just average and the plotline doesn't really follow on from the first book. It is as though Cronin has written another story and just added it in for good measure because he couldn't think of anything else which I find bizarre to say the least. I am giving 3 stars mainly because of the sheer accomplishment of this work and I will go on to read the final part of this trilogy on its release but please Mr Cronin get back to the original theme of The Passage which was oh so much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not live up to The Passage, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
I very much enjoyed The Passage, which slowly built up to the release of a deadly virus then skipped forward to explore the resulting post-apocalyptic world. This sequel follows a similar pattern, with some chapters set during the outbreak and others set after the climactic events of The Passage, but I found both threads less compelling than their predecessors. For example, I really liked the detailed picture of the First Colony that was drawn in The Passage; The Twelve describes two different approaches to post-viral human societies, but to my mind neither was particularly convincing. Some interesting early character development was wasted later in the book. There was an increase in mysticism and sentimentality, both centred around Amy, and this wasn't really to my taste. Overall, I did enjoy seeing what happened next, and I will certainly read the third volume in the trilogy, but this is a disappointment after The Passage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
The first book was much more engaging, suggest you don't get your hopes up too high. The Passage was genius, this is a 'filler' for the final installment perhaps?

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok read, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
Worth reading if you enjoyed the Passage. Highs & lows all through, glad I read it. But over all a little predictable.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing sequel, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
After The Passage, I was concerned how a sequel would follow up. Unfortunately I was right to be worried. The book feels rushed and from the first chapter I felt cheated. Too many new characters, too many of the characters we'd grown to love in the first book are not present until too late in the book, or (spoiler alert) not in the narrative at all. These characters just feel dropped for no reason other than convenience.

The Passage was terrifying. At times I was holding my breath without realising it. In The Twelve, the vitals are no longer frightening, and The Twelve are despicably portrayed. The Homeland was a disappointing, and unbelievable, detour. The whole book feels like a consolation prize. No tension. Too many story lines to follow. And what the hell with Wolgast? I was pretty sure in The Passage that he was given a decent and human death. Unfortunately he is simply another tool is Cronin's limited box.

The only reason this has a 3 star rating is that I'm involved now, so will undoubtably be buying and reading the third.

5.0 out of 5 stars well written and a good read., 22 Aug 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Very confusing., 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2 (Kindle Edition)
I loved The Passage and preordered this sequel. But it is very different to follow and keeps jumping about so much between eras and characters that it s difficult to keep track and so far I have not found out how all fits together!! Having to make myself continue reading!

The Twelve: The Passage Trilogy Book 2