5.0 out of 5 stars About time!!!!
It is amazing how this gem of a series has been bypassed by DVD distributors for so long. This classic series was shown only once on ITV in 1978 (episodes 1 - 13) and in 1979 (episodes 14 - 26), and NEVER repeated following the demise of the regional ITV company that made it (for those too young to know, every 10 years, various companies had to bid to transmit their...
Published on 3 April 2012 by Mark Anthony Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Received
My eight year old daughter watched these dvd's back to back and enjoyed them very much..I tried to watch them with her, but found them very dated. If it had been set in the late 1930's? like the books, somehow the atmosphere would have been more in keeping with the original I think.
Published 15 months ago by R. Kerr

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic boxset, remastered, timeless adaptations, 23 Aug 2012
Lee Peachair (Barnsley, South Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Famous Five - The Complete Collectors Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Unlike the adventure series I bought recently, the Good old Famous Five, hold precious memories for me. The episodes are good adaptations of Blytons books, the dvds are remastered and the quality of picture and sound are excellentm especially when one considers these were shot back in the 1970s.

Brilliant for kids and adults alike who grew up with the tv show or reading the books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic fun, 12 May 2014
P. Rowley-brooke (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Nostalgia with a capital 'N'! Certainly the most believable of the 'Five's' with some fine but occasionally variable acting from the main characters. The introduction of the gardener Rodgers allowed for artistic licence as many of the plots were reduced to fit into the time allowed. Still a very good & well presented set with the added bonus of seeing the actors 30 or so years on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 May 2014
The books and this DVD keep you in a world without twitter, the internet and other distractions.
Kids love it and I still do.
The DVD is well presented in the box. A must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reproduction, 5 Dec 2013
Had seen this series when I was a kid and wanted it for my kids now. Beats any of the new stuff they show nowadays. Simple and beautifully picturised. Only problem was the amount of time the delivery took, but no regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY WELL RECEIVED, 22 April 2013
I bought this DVD for my grand-daughter who lives abroad. She absolutely loved the stories and hoped there were more available, but, from what I can see, there does not appear to be another series available.
By the way, her mother also enjoyed re-living her childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Famous Five Complete Box Set, 18 Aug 2012
I have been waiting quite a long time for this come out and it is an excellent series which is long over due in its release. The only criticism I have with it why has all the Southern TV idents been removed from every programme. It is also good to be able to see every episode again something that I was not able to do in 1978/1979. The last episode was never shown due to the ITV strike and here in the Midlands I remember one of the later series 1 episodes - Five On A Secret Trail or Five on Billycock Hill not being shown because ATV in error showed the previous week's episode!

5.0 out of 5 stars She loved the books so I bought this for her, 26 July 2014
I wanted to introduce my 9 year old daughter to the retro feeling of the things I watched as a kid! She loved the books so I bought this for her. I remember being the same age and waiting for these once a week on day off school.
She really likes the adventures and off course Timmy!
As adults we can recognised some famous actors that we missed as kids.
Some of it is quite funny and aged!

5.0 out of 5 stars kept my God daughters busy for hours and made them LOVE their visit to us, 12 July 2014
kept my God daughters busy for hours and made them LOVE their visit to us

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful childrens entertainment., 3 July 2014
J. A. Gillies - See all my reviews
the kids love it, so do the grownup's, good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to introduce today's children to some of the more ..., 27 Jun 2014
Great to introduce today's children to some of the more innocent pleasures of a bygone age. And childhood revisited for me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›