4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting Contemporary Jazz

3.0 out of 5 stars Why?
Published on 30 April 2012 by wsw

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting Contemporary Jazz, 6 Oct 2012
Mr. S. Cowden "scjazz" (Leamington UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this album quite by accident - one of my kids had a shop voucher he had to spend and there was nothing in the shop he wanted, so I found this. I was aware of the work of Gwilym Simcock through "Blues Vignette", which I had borrowed from my local library and completely loved. I had recently bought "The Impossible Gentleman" after a really positive review in "Jazz UK", but after few listens it just became an album I never played. So I approached this with mixed expectations and after a few plays I have to say I am totally hooked on it - it is an outstanding achievement , and must be well on the way to becoming one of the UK Jazz albums of 2012. A distinctive feature is that it is a trio with Asaf Sirkis on drums, Simcock on piano and his old teacher Tim Garland on saxes. In the hands of lesser players the abscence of a bass would weaken this grouping, but it is striking that once into the album you barely notice this. The style is by turns energetic and soulful (there were times when Simcock's piano reminded me of the early Keith Jarrett); it is edgy and contemporary, but at the same time deeply melodic. Percussionist Asaf Sirkis is a wonderful player, who can be as subtle or as energetic as the music demands, and Tim Garland's sax playing is rich in range and timbre. The way the three players collaborate is as impressively as anything in contemporary jazz, and the collection of entirely original compositions (no standards necessary!) have a wonderfully uplifting quality.
If there is a body of work which demonstrates the distinctiveness and vitality of contemporary UK jazz, this album must be a significant part of that. If that is where your interests lie this album is well worth checking out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 30 April 2012
As a big fan of Gwilym Simcock and Tim Garland, I eagerly awaited delivery of this album...... and I must say their performances did not disappoint. Technically, Asaf Sirkis is undoubtedly a really fine percussion player..... but I found his incessant clicks and thumps completely spoiled some of the fine piano and sax work that should have come to the fore. The percussion on several tracks is really intrusive and somehow does not fit with the music. There are many examples in the jazz idiom where percussionists add an interesting twist to an album, (I am thinking of some of Lars Danielsson's work as an example). It pains me to criticise this album because so many of the tracks are truly great compositions from two of the leaders in their respective fields. In my humble opinion, the album would have benefited from a more conventional rhythm section.

4.0 out of 5 stars ONE MORNING WEATHERGIRLS WENT ABOVE THE SUN OVER THE WIND AND THE WATER, 5 May 2012
I have read some reviews of this album already and they seem to be rather mixed.
"Space junk" was concieved in Ibiza,it is about all the rubbish floating about in sp ace and features some excellent percussion work by Asaf Sirkis on drums .....good start to the album
"Weathergirls" a Garland origibnal that turned into a group composition,bright and breezy as the sleeve notes say!lovely solo piano as well.
"One morning"in memory of those we have lost and loved,it reminds me of Andy Shepperd in some ways,p articul arly around the time of "Nocturnal tourist"a beauiful performance by all concerned.
"Above the sun"wa s developed from a previous lighthouse tune,there is also a hint of flamenco to be found in this tune, aga in s ome fine playing by all three.
"The wind on the water"again another piece about solitude,in some ways it sounds like Bobo Stensons more reflective work,again it could be Andy Shepperd,but it is still good.
"King Bario" is dedicated to Malcolm Creese,and is very reminiscent of Acooustic triangle and is the best track on the album so far
"wax Lyrical is another dedicated tune,this time to the brilliant Stan sulzmann,who has made so excellent albums so give this a listen if you can.
"Deviled" Is another tribute,this time to Bill Brufford the excellen tub thumper from prog rockers Yes and King crimson a fine drummer indeed.
Tawel newr(Quiet now) is a bed time story.
All in all avery good album,that bodes well for the future!!
Particular note should be given to the three fold cover.it is a magnificent package,and the sleeve notes are clear and precise as well

GWILLYM SIMCOCK.....PIANO,MELODICA
TIM GARLAND.....SOPRANO AND TENOR SAX, BASS CLARINET
ASIF SIRKIS.....DRUMS,PERCUSSION ,HANG DRUM

56.49

RELEASED IN 2012

ACT

5.0 out of 5 stars lighthouse, 22 May 2012
This is a joyous reunion of Gwilym with his old tutor Tim Garland and joined by a brilliant new percussionist Asaf Girkis. As a former resident in Northumberland I am familiar with St Mary's Lighthouse which provided the inspiration for many of the tracks and it is good that they are taking this music on tour and recently performed in Derby. I am hopeful that they will go from strength to strength Derek Pollard (Matlock)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 8 July 2013
Can't wait for more from this group. Shame about the name however, there are other groups with similar names, which can be confusing.

Lighthouse