5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic and surreal
Published on 24 Nov. 2002 by Farfalla

1.0 out of 5 stars Very hard work and not worth the effort!!
Published on 18 Aug. 2003 by Amberflame

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic and surreal, 24 Nov. 2002
Farfalla (MA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Lair of the Lion is a wonderful gothic romance by Christine Feehan. She bends the genre of gothic by including a supernatural element (which is explained away at the end of most gothic lit.) Isabella comes to the dnagerous lands of Nicolai DeMarco, a Don that visitors do not see. His family has been cursed, or blessed with the ability to become a lion and to control the beasts that they legendarily rescued from the Roman beast pits. The present Don also appears to be a lion all of the time to his people. But when Isabella comes, she sees him as he is, a man.
Isabella has come to the valley, asking him to rescue her brother from the dungeons of their neighbor. She is all alone, and her families lands have been confiscated. She comes to the Don as a petitioner, but his price for his help is marriage.
This is a great Beauty and the Beast addaptation. (Dark and Dangerous castle, girl learns to sees the person inside the monster, fall in love, curse is broken.) Even though you know there will be a happy ending, there is a wonderful job of creating suspense, tension and danger. You know how one of the bad guys is, but not all of them. People are hiding secrets, and you learn disconcerting information as you go through the book. A wonderful story told in a wonderful way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feehan's best!!, 23 Nov. 2002
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I know everyone utterly adore's Christine Feehan's Carpathian Saga's, and I am a fan as well, but I think she really shows her true talent in The Scarletti Curse and now this this one.
She single-handedly brings Gothics back into fashion with an updated style, giving us the brooding hero, the fearless heroine and all the spooky shadows guaranteed to keep the readers on the edge their seats.
The story is basically a beauty and beast redo...the cursed Don Nicolai DeMarco doomed to destroy the woman he marries and Isabella Vernaducci defying everything to save, first her brother, and then the man she loves.
Feehan breathes life into the faded Gothics and Faerytales alike and I say MORE MORE MORE!!
So fans of the old series Beauty and the Beast - here is a treat for you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christine does it again, 17 Sept. 2002
By A Customer
I admit to being a fan of Christine Feehan's 'Dark' series. This however does not detract from the fact that yet again she has written a book that kept me glued to the pages. I recently heard about her gothic romances and couldn't wait to try them and this one did not fail to please me. Christine writes so that her characters become as real to me as my own friends and family. Even minor characters such as an incompetant maid are written in with finesse and an understanding of human failings. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes either gothic romance or the old tales of Beauty and The Beast. Well worth the money spent on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lair Of The Lion, 12 Feb. 2008
"THE BEAUTY
Impoverished aristocrat Isabella Vernaducci would defy death itself to rescue her imprisoned brother. Though fear formed a fist around her heart, she'd even brave the haunted, accursed lair of the lion of the lion - the menacing palazzo of legendary, lethal Don Nicolai DeMarco....

THE BEAST
Rumor said the powerful don could command the heavens, that the beasts below did his bidding ..... and that he was doomed to destroy the woman he took as wife. It was whispered he was not wholly human - as untamed as his tawny mane and slashing amber eyes."

I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to give this book full 5 stars, but decided to do so in the end. Why not sure ? Well ....
The story is very catchy. The characters very well described and introduced to the reader. The mood throughout the book is quite dark, which I enjoyed immensely. What I did not enjoy was the overly "colorful" love-scenes. I have read Christine Feehans' Dark series and loved them. It is not at all like her to be that "aggressive" with those scenes. Generally I do not have a problem with those, however I did not find them fit for this particular story, or maybe they were just done the wrong way.
To keep this short, I do not at all feel like I have wasted my time reading this book, despite for a few unfitting pages. I loved the story, the characters and the mood of the book. The book is definitely recommended !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lair of the Lion, 7 Jun. 2009
J. Burns (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
If you love Christine Feehan, then this is a must for you.
The characters are larger than life.
Hero is the usual domineering male, that we have come to know and love, and the heroine is the usual feisty female.
This is set in the past.
I loved the book.
And as it stands on it's own, you don't need to worry about the follow on story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - a marvellous masterpiece, 19 Sept. 2002
Christine Feehan does it again. Isabella and Nicolai and strong main characters and interact beautifully with the other support characters in the book. The story keeps you gripped to the last page. I read it in one go, staying up to 3.00am as I had to find out the ending. I then reread the next day! The setting and the interaction between the natural environment and the supernatural as well as the intrigue and plots was great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very hard work and not worth the effort!!, 18 Aug. 2003
I have to disagree with the other reviewers about this book! It took me weeks to get throught it. Normally I read a book in one or two days but found myself putting this book down and starting a different one. I soldiered on thinking that the story might make a change for the better but it didn't. Hard work with little reward.I have all of CF's carpathian novels and this just does not compare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I ever read., 10 Feb. 2014
olivetree (England U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lair of the Lion (Paperback)
I will remember this book for years - and I have read hundreds of books. Castle. foreign land, unusual tale. Love story. One you wont forget - that`s for shore. Better than Moira shine, and you can`t forget that in a hurry.

5.0 out of 5 stars lair of the lion, 3 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Lair of the Lion (Paperback)
again I must compliment this seller for the condition of this book. Actually I have had a lot of compliments from friends and family about being on Amazon and being able to get such a good bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy, 23 July 2013
was very happy i was able to get this book again. and i was pleased that its an easy buy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›