Format: Kindle EditionChange

VINE VOICEon 24 November 2002
Lair of the Lion is a wonderful gothic romance by Christine Feehan. She bends the genre of gothic by including a supernatural element (which is explained away at the end of most gothic lit.) Isabella comes to the dnagerous lands of Nicolai DeMarco, a Don that visitors do not see. His family has been cursed, or blessed with the ability to become a lion and to control the beasts that they legendarily rescued from the Roman beast pits. The present Don also appears to be a lion all of the time to his people. But when Isabella comes, she sees him as he is, a man.
Isabella has come to the valley, asking him to rescue her brother from the dungeons of their neighbor. She is all alone, and her families lands have been confiscated. She comes to the Don as a petitioner, but his price for his help is marriage.
This is a great Beauty and the Beast addaptation. (Dark and Dangerous castle, girl learns to sees the person inside the monster, fall in love, curse is broken.) Even though you know there will be a happy ending, there is a wonderful job of creating suspense, tension and danger. You know how one of the bad guys is, but not all of them. People are hiding secrets, and you learn disconcerting information as you go through the book. A wonderful story told in a wonderful way.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I know everyone utterly adore's Christine Feehan's Carpathian Saga's, and I am a fan as well, but I think she really shows her true talent in The Scarletti Curse and now this this one.
She single-handedly brings Gothics back into fashion with an updated style, giving us the brooding hero, the fearless heroine and all the spooky shadows guaranteed to keep the readers on the edge their seats.
The story is basically a beauty and beast redo...the cursed Don Nicolai DeMarco doomed to destroy the woman he marries and Isabella Vernaducci defying everything to save, first her brother, and then the man she loves.
Feehan breathes life into the faded Gothics and Faerytales alike and I say MORE MORE MORE!!
So fans of the old series Beauty and the Beast - here is a treat for you!!
on 17 September 2002
I admit to being a fan of Christine Feehan's 'Dark' series. This however does not detract from the fact that yet again she has written a book that kept me glued to the pages. I recently heard about her gothic romances and couldn't wait to try them and this one did not fail to please me. Christine writes so that her characters become as real to me as my own friends and family. Even minor characters such as an incompetant maid are written in with finesse and an understanding of human failings. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes either gothic romance or the old tales of Beauty and The Beast. Well worth the money spent on it.
on 12 February 2008
Impoverished aristocrat Isabella Vernaducci would defy death itself to rescue her imprisoned brother. Though fear formed a fist around her heart, she'd even brave the haunted, accursed lair of the lion of the lion - the menacing palazzo of legendary, lethal Don Nicolai DeMarco....

Rumor said the powerful don could command the heavens, that the beasts below did his bidding ..... and that he was doomed to destroy the woman he took as wife. It was whispered he was not wholly human - as untamed as his tawny mane and slashing amber eyes."

I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to give this book full 5 stars, but decided to do so in the end. Why not sure ? Well ....
The story is very catchy. The characters very well described and introduced to the reader. The mood throughout the book is quite dark, which I enjoyed immensely. What I did not enjoy was the overly "colorful" love-scenes. I have read Christine Feehans' Dark series and loved them. It is not at all like her to be that "aggressive" with those scenes. Generally I do not have a problem with those, however I did not find them fit for this particular story, or maybe they were just done the wrong way.
To keep this short, I do not at all feel like I have wasted my time reading this book, despite for a few unfitting pages. I loved the story, the characters and the mood of the book. The book is definitely recommended !!!
on 7 June 2009
If you love Christine Feehan, then this is a must for you.
The characters are larger than life.
Hero is the usual domineering male, that we have come to know and love, and the heroine is the usual feisty female.
This is set in the past.
I loved the book.
And as it stands on it's own, you don't need to worry about the follow on story.
on 16 May 2012
I really enjoyed this retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

I'd previously been a bit of a hit and miss with Feehan's writing. Mostly miss. See, I have this thing about men who are too controlling in books (in my opinion anyway, which sometimes differs greatly from that of others of the female persuasion). I know, for some, it makes their toes curl to be dominated and told what to do yada yada yada. But for me, it just makes me want to hurl something.

But in this book, although the male lead character (Nikolai) was very male and alpha and all that jazz, it didn't bother me nearly as much. He was the Don of the castle so she (the female lead- Isabella) was technically supposed to do as he said anyway- but she never did, which I just thought was awesome. Who doesn't like a little rebellion, hmm? And also the fact that he tried to protect her, tried to send her away to save her even knowing she was the only one who could help break the curse, gave him big brownie points with me too.

As you'd expect, a lot of the plot was familiar and predictable since it is a fairy tale retelling, but it still managed to remain mysterious in many ways. I really like what Feehan did with the curse, what it meant for the castle's inhabitants etc. It was (and always has been) a very good story and I enjoyed this version of it immensely.

And there were a lot of hot smexy times which were quite tastefully done as well, I thought. That never hurts either, does it?

So, even though I may never get invited to a Carpathian reunion party, I'm glad to know that there are other works in Ms Feehan's extensive back- catalogue that I can rummage through and enjoy, like this one.

4 magical stars.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Currently it feels like I'm more than a little down with Christine's writing but I'm not, I approach each book on a new level and whilst I do expect some continuation for the books to fit in with what has gone before they have to stand on their own two feet. Here in this new Historical Paranormal title is a story that takes the reader on an adventure. There's the usual passion, some solid dialogue that will keep you engaged but it was a story that felt like it could have been slashed quite a bit to keep it not only punchier but on track by keeping the pace at a level so that the reader didn't have time to consider where it was going.

All in, whilst an interesting read, I'd have been happier had this book been a novella or even a short story that could have appeared in a compendium to give readers a flavour of what to expect from Christine's writing. It does have some of her trademarks within and if readers fall in love with it, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that they start with Christine's earlier Dark Carpathian titles, however currently I'm starting to wonder if she hasn't bitten off more than she can chew with her current schedules.
on 24 November 2010
Pretty basic set up, and quite well done. The only thing that dropped this one down from four stars for me was Isabella. I enjoyed Nicolai. I thought that he was just the right amount of tortured hero Alpha male. Isabella, on the other hand, was just too darn perfect. Too good, too brave, too strong. Too annoying. After the many, many, MANY times she is in deadly peril, she just comes back better, braver, and stronger. Too much goodness can get really old, really fast. Francesca was a much better female character, the little we saw of her. I was actually hoping for Francesa and Lucca's story, but I don't think that one has been done. So, while I liked it, I still would have enjoyed slapping Isabella around a bit
on 19 September 2002
Christine Feehan does it again. Isabella and Nicolai and strong main characters and interact beautifully with the other support characters in the book. The story keeps you gripped to the last page. I read it in one go, staying up to 3.00am as I had to find out the ending. I then reread the next day! The setting and the interaction between the natural environment and the supernatural as well as the intrigue and plots was great.
on 18 August 2003
I have to disagree with the other reviewers about this book! It took me weeks to get throught it. Normally I read a book in one or two days but found myself putting this book down and starting a different one. I soldiered on thinking that the story might make a change for the better but it didn't. Hard work with little reward.I have all of CF's carpathian novels and this just does not compare.