Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 May 2009
Swedish group Moon Safari have made a beautiful album here. Five strong songs varying from 7 to 24 minutes in length contain lush melodies that spin around your head long after listening. The group have tamed the ambition of prog rock with more focused songs and incredibly tight vocal harmonies that make them one the best new bands I've heared in ages. Look out for their second album entitled 'Blomljud' too. Recommended.
on 27 April 2011
A couple of years or so back I came across The Old Road by Martin Orford. It was a revelation. I had mistakenly thought that progrock was dead. I had to make do with old 1970's Genesis albums and the occasional newer Marillion outing. How wrong can you get? imagine my delight when I found out that progrock was not only alive but positively thriving. Mind you not every new band that runs up the prorock standard is worthy of the title or to play under that banner. Moon Safari definitely are. In a nut shell they sound as if Yes had decided to team up with Genesis and roped in the harmonies of the Eagles. A sort of English progressive sound with a west coast/country hippy vibe. Its crazy but it works. A little twee in places but also powerful and so beautiful it almost brings a tear your eye. Epic in places and ever optimistic it's a great summer album. The opening track "Doorway" sets the scene, ever optimistic "lonely lovers run through corridors, waiting for the tide to turn". As a person that thinks lyrics can spoil or be intrusive in a good prog album this bucks that trend and seldom disappoints. There are plenty of soloing and instrumental sections to satisfy in spades. Moving on to what I think is the most outstanding track on the album "We Spin the World" weighs in at 25 minutes. Passing through several moods and building up to a great end. Moon Safari sing "Turn the world round, turn the moon into a sun" after this you feel you almost could. The final track "Beyond the Door" is more or less a reprise of the first but still rewarding none the less. They finally sing "Open up the Door" and you could do worse than open up the door to this well crafted, feel good, sharply executed musical celebration of summer. This band are to progrock what Abba was to pop and I mean that as a compliment. Quality, valid and fresh, I look forward to more.
on 4 November 2010
Beautiful multi-part harmonies abound on this album.
There's a distinctly hippy vibe going on, but that's no bad thing. These guys know what they want to do and they do it with real panache.
You could criticise the album for lacking an obvious stand-out track, but maybe that's because they're all excellent...
This is uplifting, happy music; with hints of west-coast flower power and a sprinkling of more modern Swedish progressive rock.
A perfect soundtrack to summertime.
on 28 September 2013
I am new to this band and I am amazed I have never heard of them before. This album is fantastic and I am only giving it 4 stars because some of their other stuff is simply stunning - some of the best music I have ever heard in my life. They should be huge.
on 11 April 2013
Bought Blomljud and loved it......so bought A Doorway To Summer.....and once again i was not disapointed with the tracks on it
on 17 February 2016