Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£3.98

on 27 October 2013
Very good: funny, witty - a little Bridget Jones-ish, in parts but still original enough to be laugh out loud enjoyable, while other parts were very touching and moving. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 July 2012
This is the third book by the author that I have read, and I think its probably the one I like best. There is a very different feel to it; the other two books being very much light hearted chick lits and whilst this is definitely a womans' book and there are some funny, lightweight and very witty moments in there it is also a very moving look at a woman coping with the death of her father and the breakdown of her marriage. The main character, Bernie is very likeable and, meeting her during some of her darkest hours, you immediately start to empathise with her and hope that she manages to get through things, get her act together and start living life again with the help of her family, friends,extremely disobedient dog and the cryptography puzzles that her father left her to solve after his death.

As with the other two books by this author there is a new love angle but this isn't really explored in this book, it is more dangling tantalisingly in the background like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in the book's title that we all seem to be chasing, even if we never realise that we may have already found it.

A very enjoyable read, just like the author's other books, which left me smiling and with more than a few tears in my eyes.
0Comment30 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2012
I got this eBook for free or else for very little - I can't quite recall. I know I didn't spend much on it and for that I am glad. The main protagonist is likeable and one can't help feeling sympathetic towards her. It takes one some time to decide whether the book is meant to be humorous or serious however and it seems like the author can't quite decide either. It deals with the very sad issues of parental death and divorce butalso with the heroine's failure to get her life together which is done in an amusing way. It was an easy and relatively frothy read however and while I wouldn't be rushing out to buy it I do think it's fine for the beach or in a situation where no brain-power is required.
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2013
Good read. Sensible character names. I also thought it had a good and enjoyable ending. I look forward to her other novels
on 2 April 2014
Those was exactly the type of book I enjoy reading on holiday. Very easy to get into, light hearted, humorous, with a few tears thrown in. I liked the main character and enjoyed her journey.
on 22 January 2012
This book has everything and I haven't been able to put it down. Its made me laugh,cry,wonder what will happen next. Definately more woman reading material and I could easily relate to the main character. Its a well written book and I would recommend reading it.
The book is the story of a woman who's husband walks out on her just after her father dies so its a double blow then her best friend discovers she's pregnant at 42 years old and with an already teenage daughter.
on 14 January 2014
This book was a fairly good easy read but I thought the ending was predictable .I have not read any other books by Kathleen Long but I will keep my eyes open for another one in the future.
on 29 November 2014
This is a very nice book, full of life's truths.

Anyone who has lost someone could tell that the author is speaking from personal experience, and I think she nailed the feeling of loss really well. It gets a bit of a downer at the beginning but turns around, so don't be put off. I found this to be a nice, sweet, warm story about life.

I also liked the cryptograms and had a go at them.

My only reservation was that many of the chapters would end with a very final statement along the lines of 'here is the lesson I learned from all this and now I can move forward'. And then she never moved forward. It made the book drag a little because it constantly seemed like it was about to end then didn't. That is the nature of grief; you fall and get up and fall back down and get back up, often going nowhere for years- but reflecting this with Bernadette, without commenting on it explicitly made the story stall a bit at times, IMO.

But overall, a nice read.
on 23 July 2015
Kathleen Long clearly writes about loss and bereavement from her own experience and there were parts of this book that touched me. However, there were parts where I almost abandoned the book before the end. I thought that the cryptograms would play a more significant part in the story, but they merely seemed to add a loosely linked quotation at the end of each chapter. I found myself wondering how Bernadette managed to keep afloat financially whilst providing her friends' business with free labour. A service she provided, despite the treatment meted out by David, because she 'needed' the job. Her passive-aggressive behaviour started to annoy me. In a number of the situations where she had conflict with other characters, she accepted their bad behaviour and then beat herself up about her own. I was still mentally composing a letter of complaint to 'Rediscover You' for the rudeness of their staff two chapters later! While I get that the point of the story is singing your own rainbow, the turn around from grieving, self punishing, lonely, jobless middle aged woman to successful purple toe nailed columnist with love interest from a lovely caring guy seemed to just happen. Less like chasing a rainbow, more like having one gift wrapped and placed on your lap. I guess this book just isn't my cup of tea
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2014
A quickish easy read, ideal for a journey. For me, a bit repetitive, in a drone on sort of way and also in a terms of speech kinda way, although this style is interspersed and lifted by glimpses of life that most of us can relate to. Quite witty, but not a comedy by any means, ends on a tear and a heart smile, so leaves a comfort meal kinda satisfaction feeling. I liked the sentiment of the book, didn't care much for repetitive cliches which became an irritation by the time I had gotten to the end. Far too chick flick for me, which is no fault of the author. Kathleen Long admits to weaving real life events into the story, and i really like my fiction to be fiction, I don't want an emotional connector trying to grab me by the throat and draw me in, I want to jump in because I love the story so I was at war with my social conscience throughout. I don't know if I would be inspired to read another Kathleen Long novel. If you like Sophie Kinsella, you will probably like this work.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse