5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book
I really liked this book- bought it for my 12 year old daughter and I was very happy with the content- it was laid out in chapters about different areas (boobs/ periods/ body hair) which was very practical with comprehensive advice on each area. My daughter wd be embarassed to talk at depth so this is perfect- hopefully we'll discuss other stuff using this as a base..
Published on 4 Feb. 2009 by salsa pinkkat

2.0 out of 5 stars What's happening to my body
I bought this book for my 10 year old daughter but luckily I read it first. I do not feel this book is suitable for younger girls, and was horrified at the use of the crudest "slang" terms. I am far from prudish but words like c--t and
Published on 7 Jun. 2010 by Mrs. R. Friend

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, 4 Feb. 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and very useful, 10 Feb. 2010
I gave this book to my 10 year old daughter. It was extremely well written and helped her to understand what is going on with her body

2.0 out of 5 stars What's happening to my body, 7 Jun. 2010
Mrs. R. Friend "Book Friend" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
p---y should have no place in a book for young girls. Luckily I also bought "The Little Book of Growing Up" this was absolutely perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jun. 2010
Mrs. B. Hopkinson (UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent book easy to understand for my nine year old grandaughter can highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!!!, 14 April 1998
By A Customer
I loved this book!!! It opened so many doors for me, and reassured me. I used to think that I wasn't normal, but after I read this book I felt much better and was able to deal with the changes taking place in my body. It helped me deal with my feelings as well, and I am very gratefull for that. It gave me a great deal of helpfull information, and I think that every girl in the world should read this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Certainly NOT for younger girls., 11 Jun. 2010
A. Kerr (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my eleven year old daughter, as away of helping her understand the changes during puberty. However, I was shocked that the book discusses many sexual topics that are simply not appropriate for young girls. I wanted my daughter to know what is happening in her body, I did not expect detailed discussions of masturbation, orgasm, the G-spot, rape and aids.

Furthermore, few people will expect a discussion of male penis size in a book of this kind, complete with accompanying illustrations of the "five stages of male genital development." I had expected this book would provide information about puberty, I did not expect to see pictures of naked men or a discussion and pictures of circumcised and non-circumsed penises.

In the section on "romantic and sexual feelings" the book address questions from an 11 year old boy and 12 year old girl "scared of having sex" asking whether they should, advising only that "you don't have to do anything that doesn't feel right for you" - at no point does the tone indicate that this is wrong or potentially harmful for a child's psychologial development, the author does not alleviate the pressure on the child by advising them to wait. Nor is it mentioned that it is illegal for anyone under the age of 16 to have sex.

This book is most certainly NOT suitable for young girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading for all girls, 14 July 2012
My daughter is 12 and I bought this book below after she had some difficult friendship issues. (Although annoyingly American), the advice is invaluable for girls young and old on coping with different types of friendship issues, including being left out, bullying, peer pressure. It describes how to recognise a good friend and be a true friend yourself. It is written in a very readable format with lots of colour, pictures, and examples of real situations. My daughter is avidly reading it and I hope it will set her up for life and I'd recommend it to all

3.0 out of 5 stars brillient for older peaople but not the age its recomending, 22 April 2011
it realy taght me "stuff" but it is VERY dicriptive and has mny rude maybe evan diterbing pictures is not sutible for children under 11

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Aug. 2011
This book is more graphic than I had expected but it will be of benefit to my daughter, aged 11, for a number of years to come. I also bought a similar book, less detailed, and she is using both as reference books. I am fortunate that my daughter speaks to me openly and we are able to discuss all topics, this book would also help children who feel they are not confident to talk to an adult. It would be a shame to think this book could replace parental support but it does cover all thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and comprehensive guide without embarrassment., 8 July 2010
I was given a copy of this book (an older edition of course!) when I was about 13, and I wish I'd had it earlier. I found the comprehensive guide to puberty very helpful - I could see from the diagrams etc where I 'was at' and also what was where on males and females' genetalia (I hadn't had the nerve to use a mirror yet!).

The section covering teenagers' questions was fantastic and really helped me to think about things I was too embarrassed to ask anyone. The fact that the authors were so honest and candid also helped me to feel there was nothing wrong with wanting to know about development and sex and relationships.

It would have been even more useful when I first started puberty around 11, although my school nurse at least got the girls up to speed on menstruation by then.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›