Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.69

on 28 September 2010
Based on this album alone,long may the current European electro swing movement continue.I think it is safe to say the UK has a bit of catching up to do in this area,although I notice Sky TV slipping in the odd bit of swing during various trailers these days.
This is classy swing dance music of the highest order.For those familiar with this type of music the name Brenda Boykin should be enough to justify a purchase! Electro swing is not really to sit and listen to;its intention is to get several parts of your anatomy moving to the beat. A blend of swing jazz with electro disco funky beats to spice up the mix.Upbeat tempo abounds with a few surprises in the form of Far Far Away-yes this is a swing version of the old Slade hit and it works really well and also (I believe) an old classic 'Birds Like It'. A whole album of electro swing can sometimes sound a bit similar but the rhythms and melodies mixed here are a nice variety.I d.j.ed a party recently and electro swing music goes down a storm.I suspect people are just glad to hear decent beats that don't sound like products of TV show talent factories. Recommended for anyone born with rhythm in their heart!If I could I would award a sixth star for the sexy girl on the cover!
on 25 October 2011
Like other reviewers, I was brought to this album via Caro Emerald's excellent 'Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor'. The comparison is a good one, but as delightful as Caro Emerald's album is, this offering from Tape Five is quite simply stunning. The strength of the writing, both musically and lyrically, combined with exquisite production is a pure joy to listen to. This is, without doubt, one of the best albums I have heard in many years.

Each song stands out, with terrific little nods to swing music of bygone years, even down to vinyl 'scratches' and distortion on the vocals as though they were recorded on those great old microphones that looked like huge Victory V lozenges. Smooth brass, infectious percussion and 'hotel foyer' piano are overlaid with synth noises and sampled vocals; little reprises of some of the musical motifs provide a jaunty reminder, and the whole thing simply oozes sophistication in the production. In places the songs have their tongue firmly in their cheek, but at no time does any of the trickery start to wear thin - everything about the album is perfectly balanced. Having produced a variety of music in the past, I can appreciate the enormous effort that has gone into this album.

Like a fruit pastille (which we know can't be held in the mouth without chewing) I believe it's impossible to listen to Tape Five without a part of you, or indeed all of you, dancing. Whether you listen to swing or jazz or not, if you like good music this should be in your collection. Fabulous fun!
on 31 August 2011
After listening to Caro Emerald's CD (Deleted scenes from the cutting room floor), I had to buy this one too. And wow, it didn't disappoint. This style of music is just contagious. Upbeat, alive just fab. Get home from work and put this on and I just can't keep still. It's impossible! Value for money and a selection of great artists. More, more, more please!
on 17 July 2011
I discovered Electro Swing after hearing Caro Emeralds 'A Night Like This' on the radio and then downloading Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor. Electro Swing is basically jazz, swing and big band style music from the 20's, 30's and 40's fused with modern genres such as Electro, House and Hip Hop - it works really well. For me some other Electro Swing music goes a bit too far towards the modern but Tonight Josephine stays pretty true to the original swing style and feel.

Normally a bit of Prog Rock fan I find this type of music fun and uplifting and you will find it hard not to tap your feet, fingers and other body parts to the beat! Tonight Josephine is a very fine album, well produced with quality vocals and superb musicians - I love it.

If you like this album also check out Swing Republic Electro Swing Republic which is also a very good album.
on 24 June 2011
Amazon have this as "frequently bought together with" Caro Emerald's Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor, which is how I found Tape Five. Intruiged by the other reviews and, lets be honest, drawn by the album cover, I popped over to amazon.com to hear some samples of the album. Another reviewer has written more eleoquently about their music than I can but, suffice to say, Tape Five now have a new fan. Can't recommend highly enough.
on 25 September 2013
What an amazing CD ! I can't really identify the type of music on this CD other than to say it sometimes sounds like 1920's Jazz which is mixed with electronic input of the 21st century. However, whatever is is it makes for a fantastic and enjoyable experience. when playing this I find if I close my eyes I get transported back to a Berlin nightclub sometime in the pre-war eara.

A great CD, but rather like Marmite, you either love it or hate it !
on 17 October 2013
This is one of Tape Fives best CDs. Modern take on past sounds and all carried out with excellent vocal and instrumental excellence.

Not the cheapest of CDs but I'm pleased with the music and smooth transaction.
on 16 June 2016
I have numerous early Rock & Roll and jive CD's as well as old swing music of various types including the more recent 'Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor', but I also enjoy lots of current music. I have recently heard some Electro Swing on the radio and TV and decided to dip into it with two CD's, this Tape Five CD was one of them. Played it through and was very pleased with the tracks and feel this will grow on me, great to listen to on long car trips or at home. Good up to date version of some of the older music I already enjoy, but I only gave 4 stars as it does not have that raw feeling you get from the original older music.
on 7 January 2013
Having read the other reviews from people who bought this album I was a bit disappointed on the first listen but having played it a few more times now it has grown on me. I thought it would all be kinda swing and its not, there are a number of different sounds but all in all a good album and I can skip the couple of tracks I am not so keen on
on 1 July 2014
Bought another album and this was a recommend buy. It took a few times listening to it to hook me as the songs are soo different to one another and I was only listening to it whilst getting ready. The fact that the songs are so different to one another makes the album fresh each time you put it on. I have been caught a few times at traffic lights singing and doing shoulder dance to this album it is upbeat and great, it is also seductive and smooth ....buy it you will know which songs I am talking about.