5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but the best
I am a huge coffee fan and have gone through it all, from freeze dried (yuck) to a Krups machine, to an espresso pot and lastly, to a cafetiere.

Bizarrely, I have found that the Tesco own brand two-cup cafetiere is an absolute cracker, offering a great seal and producing fantastic coffee.

After having a spell with Lavazza I scraped together enough...
Published on 29 April 2013 by Brian Hamilton

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks pretty, tastes ugly
I read the other reviews so was looking forward to drinking some fabulous coffee.
Unfortunately this was not the case. The smell opening the tin is great, which is
why I'm giving it two stars, but the made coffee lacks everything I expect in good coffee,
no nutty sweetness and depth of flavour with a sharp kick.
There's only one word I can use to...
Published 14 months ago by Bizzy61

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but the best, 29 April 2013
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: illy Dark Roast For Filter Coffeemakers, 250g (Pack of 2) (Grocery)

After having a spell with Lavazza I scraped together enough pennies to buy a tin of Illy coffee. Twice the price of the Lavazza brick I knew before pulling a tin from the shelf that it would be good, and I knew I would have to double my coffee budget.

And yes, it was, an unmitigated triumph. King (or Queen) of coffee, the illy taste is something never to be forgotten. The brown label is the one to go for if you use a cafetiere and I have found that two heaped teaspoonfuls in a pre-heated cafetiere does the trick, leave it to brew for a couple minutes, brown sugar cubes in your cup (ikea cups are a good size) and you are good to go.

Quite simply, world class. The taste is deep yet doesn't leave your mouth in a ragged mess, the caffeine hit is intense but doesn't overpower the taste.

illy cans are sealed and have a ring pull that needs popped prior to use. This is to preserve the delicate volatile flavours that oxygen melts away. It makes all the difference.

Just trust me on this, I have two cups of this every single day and have never grown jaded with the taste. Quite simply, my favourite coffee of all time.

Absolutely recommended for the coffee aficionado.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illy Ground Coffee Dark Roast Coffee, 24 May 2014
Tesco stopped stocking this product, and so we found it through Amazon which amazed us! This coffee is just about the best you can get if you like strong coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look forward to morning now, 11 Mar. 2014
A lovely smooth coffee this is just the best start to the day. I have found it hard to find a good consistency for using with my
cafetiere but this is brilliant

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Coffee, 29 April 2013
After moving to the UK from the US, I had a hard time finding coffee that was strong enough for my taste. This one does the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful coffee but wasteful packaging, 10 Oct. 2014
Illy is, unfortunately, excellent. I say it is unfortunate because it costs approximately double the amount of most other brands of ground coffee and you can only buy it (retail) in these tins. The tins are beautifully designed but seem so wasteful. Our household gets through about 4 a week and the tins stack up. I use this one in my cafetiere and it makes a wonderful, aromatic cup of coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
excellent well balanced coffee

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab as always..., 29 Jun. 2014
Love my weekend mornings with a couple of cups of illy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars reliable Italian quality, 14 Mar. 2014
Illy is expensive compared to other coffee but the quality is superior. Up to you to decide whether you are willing to spend more for that marginal increase in quality. It also depends on how you make your coffee and what machine you use of course. I like to alternate my coffees and this is one of my favorites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good coffee!, 18 Mar. 2013
Mr. R. Camp - See all my reviews
This is great tasting coffee and comes in a really handy pack to maintain freshness... as well as having all sorts of other domestic uses afterwards!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 13 April 2015
Bought for my other half, a huge coffee fan. He says it's the best coffee he'sever had! :) Praise indeed!