4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying a kindle for, 7 April 2012
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
This book made me glad I had bought a kindle. It is unnerving and gripping from the outset: I had to keep reading to know what happened next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller and brilliant suspense, 30 July 2012
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
From Enclosing Jaws is the story of an undercover reporter entering a mental hospital to investigate a suspicious death and it grips you from the start. I became quickly hooked into the story and what was going on. I was kept guessing as to who might be the next victim and who was responsible. For the last third of the book I would have given a 5 and more, totally gripped and as others have said could not put it down. But in the middle I felt the story slowed a bit too much as our intreprid reporter was regrouping. Overall this is an entertaining psychological thriller, well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning read!, 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
This is a ripping read. I quickly became captivated, and leaving the book down was a struggle. It's the epitome of a 'page turner'. The hero, Sam Carpenter, is engaging, believable, and very very brave. He's a junior reporter on a local newspaper, who agrees to pretend he's nutty in order to get into a mental institution and check out a suspicious death. He falls foul of the scary Dr Straughan, however, and is sectioned! My heart almost stopped when I read that. Oh my God. Has his editor really left a letter to say he's not mad but on an assignment? Will he be the next victim? You'll have to read it to find out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading., 5 Jun. 2012
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. It was really difficult to put down. The idea is based on research done into mental health hospitals in the 70's and very cleverly brought up to date.

I struggled to put this book down until the last 10%, then the suspense just got so much that I kept putting the book down for a breather and picking it back up again almost immediately as I couldn't bear to not know what happened next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
Not my usual choice of read but I couldn't put it down. I eagerly await Margaret's next book.
I will certainly recommend this to friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars A scary and fascinating story, 13 Jan. 2013
David Franks (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
The premise of the story, that a reporter investigating a death at a psychiatric hospital could get himself admitted as a patient seems implausible, but Margaret Carlton provides a link to an article in the journal Science which describes how several pseudo-patients were admitted to American hospitals in 1973, and after that nothing seems impossible. Of course, this isn't to deny that mental ill-health exists. The story describes how Sam Carpenter, the young reporter, infiltrates the hospital at which a patient has died in comes to seem suspicious circumstances. My overwhelming thought was how brave and foolhardy Sam was: patients in such hospitals are given drugs, and some of these drugs have nasty side effects, worth putting up with for a real patient with real problems, but not something a sane person would welcome. And one's worst fears are realised: Sam is sectioned, confined involuntarily, under the 1983 Mental Health Act. From there on things go downhill at an alarming pace. I won't spoil the story by relating what happens. The other characters are interesting, the settings well-evoked, and Margaret Carlton keeps your interest right to the very last page.

4.0 out of 5 stars A realistic page turner, 31 Oct. 2012
Richard Gould (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
The potential for an entertaining read based on activities inside a psychiatric hospital might seem limited, but this novel achieves just that with a page turning story that builds to a worthy climax. The characters are well developed and the plot is plausible, disturbing and well told. Worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling read, 27 July 2012
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
This is a different story from the usual thriller because of the setting in a mental institution. My interest was held from the first sentence to the last. This unusual, well crafted story challenges our conceptions of mental health practices in our culture. Buy it! I think you will enjoy it as much as I have done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny..., 17 Sept. 2012
This review is from: From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller) (Kindle Edition)
And more... This book is a well written, moves along at a good pace, is a gripping thriller & an excellent read. It is not often that I find a book where once put down it is literally picked back up again a few seconds later... Yes it really is that good... & held my interest right to the end. In my opinion this book completely deserves all five stars & is worth every penny, an excellent buy... so if you're tempted & decide to download... you've a cracking good read just waiting to be read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
verygood

From Enclosing Jaws (a medical thriller)