5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the negative reviews...
I bought this watch as an impulse buy at the airport and having used it 7 or 8 times, I'm quite surprised by the one and two star reviews. My experience is that it's simple, straightforwards and "just works".

Published on 4 Dec 2011 by FlyingStantoni

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but let's you down
I would only buy this watch if you think it looks really cool - which it does by the way.
But as for functionality, it is terrible. Really terrible.
I don't want to be negative - and I really did want to like this device - but honestly, I really think it needs rethinking.
Published on 2 July 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the negative reviews..., 4 Dec 2011

Initial software installation and setup on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) was worked flawlessly, with the connection software updating the watch's firmware and connecting to my existing Nike+ account.

Nike seem to have learned from working with Apple. The menu system on the watch is a comparative joy to use - simple and straightforwards in the way that classic Nokia phones used to be. Stuff is intuitive to find. I've variously owned Polar, Garmin and Suunto HRMs and GPS watches. None of them is as simple to use and I've always been frustrated by the level of button-pressing origami required by some of them.

One potential downside is that Nike have "done an Apple" and restricted the feature set on the watch. Pace, distance, HRM and (simple) intervals are your lot (at the moment). So, unless Nike release a substantial update then this isn't a watch for "power users". Frankly, I'm a simple soul and it does me just fine.

GPS reception has been good for me in London with the watch picking up satellites within 3-4 minutes. It's important to connect the watch to your computer reasonably regularly as a "fast start" file is downloaded to the watch based on your geographic location (this is something Tom Tom does with their satnavs). There have been reports of users having problems finding satellites if they're travelling, but I initially set up the watch in Austria and used it a week later in London without problems finding satellites.

I've not tried as a HRM yet.

Buy this watch if your needs are relatively straightforwards and want a simple user interface that requires little manual reading. Avoid if you're a power user.

I'm using both the GPS and footpod on runs and accuracy seems good. It's certainly consistent. (The GPS is used to calibrate the footpod, so it's advisable to use two together for a few runs first.)

I'm encouraged that Nike seem to be reasonably active with firmware updates.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but let's you down, 2 July 2011
But as for functionality, it is terrible. Really terrible.
I bought it in London three weeks ago before doing the UK 70.3 Ironman event in Devon.
The watch would not sync in London near Regent's Park or Canary Wharf. Two runs, two times waiting 5 minutes for a satellite signal that never came. I put it down to the buildings and thought I would give the watch a chance - I really wanted to like it.
In Devon, in the wide open spaces, time and again the watch failed to pick up a signal on three training runs and one walk in Lynmouth.
Out of kindness, I put it down to the remote location.
And then I went traveling - to Cannes (where I did finally get a signal 7k into a run), Berlin and Vienna - with mostly disappointing results.
Now home in Minnesota, one run, one link up and a watch that looks like it might work.
Actually, let me retract that. One GPS device that seems to work.
As a watch, this device is also terrible. It cannot do what a $5 watch could do. If you do not have a computer (my work computer will not let me load the Connect software because of security reasons) then you seem not to be able to adjust the time and if you do not link to a device, you cannot even use this as a stopwatch. I know I should have linked it to the foot pod but I run in Saucony shoes (not Nike+) and I couldn't be bothered to carry the foot pod.
So honestly, do not buy this.
You might ask why I persevered. Simple, this was one long 3 week trip and I had left my Garmin at home by mistake. Knowing now what I do, I would have rather gone without a flashy GPS watch, bought a 30 Casio and just been able to track the time. It would have saved money and a load of aggravation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put off by previous reviews, NO regret purchasing this!, 2 Aug 2012
Alex Fuller (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've taking up the wonderful sport of running in the morning, I used to be such an unhealthy person and needed to change this quickly. After being motivated by friends to go running instead of a gym (I hate going to gyms, so boring) I found a new love for it. I was previously using the app Endomondo, but having a bulky phone in my pocket while running wasn't fun. I looked into GPS watches and found this one. It comes across very attractive and appeals to the younger, more style conscious, runners. After reading several views about it being unreliable with the GPS cutting out or taking ages to connect I was put off. After a long think about it, I went for it, let's face it 150 is quite a lot considering the app I was using only cost 6...

...I'm so glad I did click purchase, it's beautiful, looks great, light, just a wonderful piece of kit. My number 1 concern was the GPS, would I have all this trouble with it not connecting on a cloudy day etc. Well my first run was one of the cloudiest mornings in a while, not a clear bit of sky was visible, it was miserable! To my surprise the watch connected instantly to the GPS, and I was away. As I said previously I was using an app, comparing the results from the app to the watch, the watch is actually more accurate.

I say, the best review is your review. If you really want to get this watch, but you're being put off by bad reviews, buy it and try it for yourself, from my experience you won't be disappointed.

Finally, I would suggest when you get the watch to install the Nike+ Connect on your laptop and update the watch to the new firmware (should do this automatically). < Just a suggestion for a better experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just over a month use and I cant use it, 13 Sep 2013
Agatha (England, UK) - See all my reviews
Pleased with the speed with which item was delivered. If I had not been warned about cosmetic defects I would have sent item back, but it does what it says on the tin and all for a reasonable price. However just after a month of use and the item is no longer usable as the end piece containing USB has snapped off! No joy from Amazon or seller in obtaining replacement item or refund, hacked off is an understatement.!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for most of the runners, 13 July 2011
I have them from last week, synced 5-6 runs and I already love them. Veeeery easy to use, nobody would be left behind, everybody included:) Simple and clear menu. I bought them after I read quite a lot of reviews on various Garmins and Nike+ GPS (mine first GPS watch) and I feel I got what I wanted and expected. If you want to read really comprehensive reviews and comparisons, google dcrainmaker and you will find on his webpage all and beyond info on this and other GPS watch. Here are just my few notes from fresh experience.

GPS: Pick-up of the signal is quick, each time after maybe 100m of walk. I used them also without foot sensor and it lost the GPS signal only after 20m in tunnel under highway, otherwise perfect connection. I ran this morning in the rain, using also foot sensor and I had absolutely no issue at all with GPS signal and/or foot sensor. You can cheaply buy pouch sensor that fits all trainers also on Amazon.

Data: you can see on the display during the run all the usual data. Please note, that originally they didn't have the average pace, but that's changed via a firmware update, so the first time you connect them to your computer, they would be automatically updated, if they don't have the latest firmware.

Heart sensor: I'm using the one from Polar, after initial adjustments (I have never wore one before) it's working reliably.

Battery: I read it's better than most Garmins, but don't expect any miracles.

Requirement: availability of computer - for charging, setting etc. you can't do it without it.

Nike+ webpage: here I have an objection, sometimes it's hard to log in (although the sync worked automatically and always perfect insofar). Beta version is also available and that looks very good. Overall I love that it's not too scientific, but more like play and have fun, including setting up goals, participate in different challenges (by running and syncing your runs), but still contains all the data that I need and that keep me in touch with my runs. Maybe a real pro would need more, but for as general public that's fine enough.

I would gave it 4 stars, because the webpage reliability should be better, but I'm simply so satisfied, that I need to give them status of - I love it! - based on all the above, plus it's so nice after the run to see the sparkling stars message on breaking the record or other encouraging message.

If you want to have nicely looking GPS watch, that are easy to use and still giving you all the data you need, I guess you will not regret buying them.

UPDATE 30.08.2011: After running with the watch 420km, I'm lowering the rating from 5 to 3 stars:
- automatic connect and upload of runs is not working anymore (not unusual as I see), I need to manually open application and then it uploads
- current pace is completely unreliable, floating too much
- this morning all my runs have been deleted from the watch, while connected to my mac. Fortunately they remained on website.
- interval running doesn't include warm-up and coold down setting and as I want to keep the total mileage becuase of my endurance plan I follow, I don't want to start them after warm up
- "quick start" with shoe pod is not working as declared - if chosen, the watch stop trying to link the satellite. I thus don't have GPS data (elevation etc.) on one of my longer runs (25km), which is not nice.
Will keep you updated, if I decide to return them or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Previous issues solved since update, 10 Jan 2012
My review mainly benefits those average people looking into getting fit as I am no pro athlete.

Day to day use:

I can see where all the early negatives came from before the watch had its update released as previously it came with no alarm, stopwatch and poor signal however now these issues have been solved.

There is no doubt it is the best looking sports watch on the market and its very light with nifty features which are customizable when you update it online.

Since the update all the missing features have been added that you would expect your basic casio to do such as alarm, stopwatch etc

Running:

Very fast signal since update where before it was poor which you will see from the OLD comments, since for me it has been perfect and even if it is taking a couple of minutes you can begin and it will record the start of your run with the little sensor that comes with the watch.

When you set it up online Nike offer a great feature where you can click on a certain schedule and the watch will train you!. e.g. click 5k training and it will slowly train you up for a 5k race after choosing your starting fitness level etc and your watch will remind you when you are being lazy and skipping training. Many other options for training even a sports section which I have not explored yet.

I have never run out of charge and I plug it in for an hour once a week and turn GPS off after my runs, but Ive heard they can last a lot longer.

Overall:

Great buy so far and much cheaper and more stylish than many of its rivals, also you get TomTom doing the GPS which must be a good thing? I think it was released too early hence the poor reviews but since the update all these issues seem to have been fixed.

1.0 out of 5 stars condensations problems kill the watch, 31 July 2013
C. D. Turner "c turner" (Brussels) - See all my reviews
The watch was orginally flakey in getting a GPS signal, sometimes 20 minutes, but firmware updates seemed to have really improved this. However after 18 months, the watch screen fogged up, and then the screen went blank, end of the watch. Seems like a common problem, even when the watch is kept away from water.

2.0 out of 5 stars It just let me down, 4 Feb 2012
Well, I loved this watch at first. It looks great, the numbers are clear and therefore easy to read without my glasses on dark mornings and very very simple to use. Sadly after logging 150 ish miles it became totally unreliable, took ages locking on to satellite and completely mis recorded my runs. I ran a known 6 mile course and the Nike recorded just 0.45 miles, this was not a one off it became regular until this week it let me down every day. Another gripe is the Nike web site, full of wonderful features for example challenges, goals and fancy stats of your recorded runs but possibly the slowest web site ever, it takes about a minute for it to load every time and sharing your runs to facebook is very hit and miss because it takes so long for anyone to see it they move on before it loads up.
Generally a big let down after such a great start. I've gone back now to my trusty Garmin 405 CX, in my opinion a much better option for the money, much more reliable, social network friendly and the web site is as quick as any. If you want a good GPS watch for running, in my opinion go Garmin

1.0 out of 5 stars read the support forum of nike, 17 Aug 2011
I bought this watch early after introduction by nike.
A few months later, the watch does no longer connect to nike connect / my pc. A lot of users are suffering from the same problem ( i suggest reading the section on the user forum of nike: topic "sportswatch does not connect"). The nike+ support does not help at all (i bought my watch at an official nike+ retailer abroad: only response from nike: sorry for you, sort it out yourself). When the watch was still working: i noticed that the heart rate monitor sometimes dropped to zero. the software itself is not professional f.e: the intervalfunction is ridiculous: it starts with a running session and then a walking session (the other way around is not possible), this function is even very basic (no warming up - cool down). Running the same distance on various days shows fluctuations in distance (up to 200 m on a 5K distance)
For this money, you can buy a far better and working gps watch

1.0 out of 5 stars I Would NOT recommend this purchase, 15 Oct 2011
The Nike+ Sportwatch GPS is attractive to look at and comfortable to wear. Better still it is very easy to use and the display is first class. That is where the good news ends...

When I tried to synch the computer and watch the software does not see the watch and simply says "Please Insert Nike+ Device" I have cleared the software and re-downloaded several times to no avail and read a very large number of reports with users experiencing the same problem - but very few reporting a solution. I have e-mailed Nike and await feedback from their support team. I have wasted best part of four hours on finding a resolution and to be frank life is just too short.

Other reviewers have reported the same problem and I now wish I had taken heed. Products which are released before they are adequately tested just do not deserve to succeed. I use an Apple Mac OSX 10.7.1. In short my experience with this product has shifted from deep joy, to frustration, to anger ... I am quietly hoping I will get my money back and will look for an alternative - less cool- but workable option.