Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 4 April 2013
If you are in the market for a light of this type you'll be hard pushed to find better value. I'm a TV cameraman and have used all manner of lights over the years, so I do feel qualified to write this review. LED technology has had a large influence in the TV world, especially for location lighting. Now I'm not suggesting that this light is going to be part of every crew's kit but I personally think it's absolutely brilliant for wide area, fairly uncontrolled lighting - outdoor interviews for example. It's super bright and uses common camcorder type batteries (as well as AA's) and even has a battery test function - brilliant! The barndoors are a bit of a joke on this style of lamp so think of them as just protection for the LED's when folded in (although you can achieve some pretty whacky shadow effects if you close the large doors to about 1cm apart). I wish the lamp housing had a traditional tripod thread rather than it's Go-Pro style clamp system but it does come supplied with the goodies to enable tripod mounting (and even with a little rod for hand holding). I'm not sure how well this unit would bounce if dropped but it does feel pretty solid for the weight. Up to now I've used LitePanels offerings (£200+), which are great, but eat batteries. This is now my preffered option. The icing on the cake is that it comes supplied with a fantastic quality carry bag, so good that if it was made by Sony the bag alone would cost more than this whole light kit. I don't know how long it will last but I've crossed my fingers and ordered 2 more!
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2013
I was after a cheap video light to do some macro photography with. I came across this brand, read some reviews and settled on the YN-160.

I was not expecting a particularly high quality product at this price so I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the package. The package comes with the video light and a few accessories including filters. The filters reduce the light output(Marginally) as they are the hard plastic ones which are more practical and durable than the flimsy Gel type.

Build quality overall is good, the plastics are robust and the barn doors are stiff and stay in place like they should. The only thing I don't particularly like is the battery arrangement. There are a couple of adapters for using video type batteries but I opt to using AA batteries. When using AA batteries they are partially exposed at the back of the unit because of the way the adapters work. This does not affect the operation just looks a bit odd to me.

The light output is bright and even across the range of LEDs that are used so I guess they have been matched for colour and intensity. The controls are simple, on/off button, battery test button and power level + / - Battery life so far is hard to tell as I am still using the same cheapo AA batteries but they have been used for at least 3 hrs so far.

The only reason for giving it 4 instead of 5 stars is the arrangement of the AA batteries and also the lack of an external power socket to give a bit more flexibility.
on 8 February 2013
I went with the reviews on this and I'm not disappointed. Very bright, lots of control of the light and a nice lighting effect. I mainly bought as a modelling lamp when autofocusing using speedlights but there's no reason I can't use it as a main light in itself. The barn doors make a lot of difference and you det coloured filters thrown in. It's plastic overall but that keeps the weight down. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when I need one.
on 4 March 2013
I bought this for professional use and was very happy that the light was up to the job. It's VERY bright without any diffusion material in front but putting it on a stand with a shoot through white umbrella softens the light enough to give a natural look. I shot all day with 6 high capacity AA rechargeables turning off the light in between changing subjects. The batteries lasted fine but I decided to get some NP-F550 batteries from ebay for future shoots as they last much longer.

Build quality of the unit is fairly good, it's relatively solid. It won't be as good as the pro units (I don't think it would survive a large drop) but for the money it's better than I expected. There's lots of accessories and attachments that come with the light, colour filters, light stand attachment, grip for hand held work and a soft carry bag.

I'm probably going to buy a second unit for two light setups. I'll either get this or it's big brother the YN-300 which is a bit more refined but is more expensive.

Overall this is a great little unit.
on 8 March 2013
I bought this as a fill in light for mainly stills photography and I have to say, I'm impressed - several levels of control over the light and it also comes with 3 gels and a diffuser - will do exactly what I bought it for
on 28 October 2013
The light uses various power sources to provide a bright even light that is adjustable to meet the needs of the subject being photographed. They are lightweight and made from a strong plastic with a variety of filters and support brackets included. Excellent value for money. If there is a down side it is the likely delivery time estimate, but as they are being sent from China an accurate day of delivery can hardly be expected and should not cloud the value that these lights represent, that said the second light arrived in half the time of the first so perhaps the timing of the order has much to do with it, but worth the wait all the same.
on 14 October 2013
It arrived in the expected time frame, well packaged.
I use this as a floodlight when taking photos of plants at flower shows.
It reduces the ISO requirement by a factor of 4 and because it is spread over a wide area, the shadows are softer.
on 27 June 2016
This is such a good light. So good in fact I've just bought another one. And over time I will buy more to kit out a proper studio rather than just having 2 in my camera bag so I can control the light better when shooting video and add fill lighting to static photography shots with bright backgrounds.

It's an interesting setup in so far as the 5500K White LEDs and the 3300K yellow LEDs are controlled separately so push them both up to 100% and they don't half throw out some light. I've had to buy some tall lighting stands to throw the shadows behind and below my subjects.

Although everything can be controlled from the back of the light unit, and each one comes with it's own remote control, I particularly like the iOS app that lets me control all the lights I have from one place. The app lets me have 8 lights in total which is more than enough for a studio but I will only be using 2 when I"m out and about. It's sometimes a little fiddly to get the Bluetooth working between phone and light units but generally works if you switch things on and off enough times!

Each light has a handle, a small table stand and can be mounted either to the top of your camera (with the hotshoe adapter), put on a tripod using a screw mount or even attached to a lighting stand. The barn doors are more for protection and, I suppose, asthetics more than anything else but their study. There are a couple of diffusers included (one white, one yellow).

From just one purchase, I'm already buying another and will eventually get more for my photo studio. The units aren't tiny, and are weighted fine for on-camera use, but for what they are, they are excellent value and highly recommended from this old tog.
on 11 April 2013
Just a great little light. I've now bought two of them as really handy when Im shooting at night time or doing close up photography/filming of items. The barn doors make all the difference in offering a little more in the control of the light. Good price - good product
on 3 December 2013
This appears to be a good quality product producing a lot of light. The LED's don't cause any heat problems as with the old halogen movie lights and the do not drain the power easily. I also find it very useful as a portable light source in my attic.