Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 2 June 2013
It's not the first time that I've read a Mark Coker's publication, I quite often refer to my Smashwords Style Guide (don't be fooled it's not just relevant to Smashwords), and therefore I was quite excited to find the time to read this one.

Not just one off reads, they are useful over and over again to bone up. Full of words of wisdom, tips and tricks and examples of how his information has been successfully applied by others, his work is a must for anyone looking to publish, market and sell ebooks.

As the Founder of Smashwords, he has proved he knows what he's talking about.

I was particularly interested to see that he mentioned Shayne Parkinson, who has successfully managed to increase sales by offering the first in the series (Sentence of Marriage) as a free download in hooking the reader in to buy the remainder of the series. That is in fact what happened when I read it.

He also mentioned Ruth Ann Nordin as somebody who offered An Inconvenient Marriage for free download, and the fact that some reads didn't like it, but others liked her work enough to actively seek out and pay for other titles she'd written. It's a long time ago now, but I think I was particularly kind about her book, but saw something in her that has made me purchase some of here other titles.

After reading his book, I now feel totally vindicated about banging on endlessly about cover images ..... get a good one and it will help to generate interest from somebody who has never read anything by you before!!

On the basis that I started it quite late in the evening and then couldn't put it down until the early hours - always hard to believe for a non-fiction book - plus the wisdom and insight to be gained I gave it a the full big Five-O ... it can be useful even if you don't use, or never intend to use Smashwords. Highly recommended.

Errors/Bug Bears:

None, as this was an excellently delivered and executed product. Kudos Mr Coker.

Full Blog #429 March 2014
on 5 May 2014
This is a data-rich, clearly written 'how-to' book for anyone interested in or considering Independent Publishing. Coker’s passion and interest in Epublising and the changes it brings to communicating the written word, are clear and invigorating. Although Coker is the founder of Smashwords, currently the largest ebook distributer, this book is by no means a mere advert for his company, he mentions it very infrequently.

I learned loads. For example, I hadn't realised that paper books shipped to brick and mortar bookstores only have a few weeks to sell, after which time they are shipped back to the distributor for a full refund to the bookseller. And then they are 'pulped' or remaindered, hence the term 'Pulp Fiction'. Yet with electronic books, not only do they have the more organic time frame of…forever to possibly take off, you can tinker with them even after they are placed with the ebook sellers.

Although of course, as Coker advises repeatedly, it is very important to make your book the best it can be BEFORE placing it on the electronic book shelves. You are your brand when you are a writer, and you only get one chance to make a first impression. Ebook publishing is a real revolution in the very way writers and readers interact, truly democratising the process into an ongoing conversation. No excuses. If you write, read this.
on 18 April 2013
Having recently ventured down the eBook path, I can unreservedly recommend this book as a great guide.

It is not merely a 'how to' text, but an ongoing document of reference and renewal once your eBook is published. It is in that context that I continue to refer to 'Secrets to eBook Publishing Success' as my eBook '50 Tales of Flight' goes from strength to strength.

Thanks Mark. Highly recommended.

Owen Zupp
Author: '50 Tales of Flight'
50 Tales of Flight: From Biplanes to Boeings
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After attending Mark's workshop at the RWA National Convention, I decided to read this book and learn even more about E-Book Publishing. I'm really glad I did, because I've picked up on some great suggestions to make things a whole lot easier. Let's face it, for many of us there's so much to learn that it's overwhelming. For an author who's been in the game for a while, it's a good way to reinforce already learned secrets. But for the newbie writer, this book is a one-stop shop!
An important point Mr. Coker made time and time again - so I want to reiterate - selling e-books won't happen overnight. It's takes time to build your career. But on the virtual bookshelves today, we really do have the time.
on 9 December 2012
An excellent overview of on-line publishing with numerous tip and pointers. Mark Coker seems to try hard to be even handed with respect to selling his own company's services, balancing his remarks with a fair evaluation of the alternative choices open to would be on-line publishers. I could not give this book five stars because it is full of many of the errors which he warns writers to avoid; misspellings, typos, corrupted ocr transcriptions, etc. Of course, he might have left those in ironically, but somehow I am not convinced that he did! It provides a salutary reminder that all publications deemed worth sharing are worth being run past a trusted editor first.
on 10 February 2013
If you are thinking of writing/publishing an ebook then this guide is an excellent way to start your journey. Mark does a good job of explaining things in simple terms and getting the key points across.
on 21 August 2013
There are so many books about publishing, editing, finding agents, how to write, and in many ways this is just another. But every book we read adds to our own store of knowledge and no one book can ever be considered totally comprehensive. No matter how much we have written, no matter how much we have had published, there is always room to learn something extra. Mark's book gave me some interesting pointers and I am so glad I put effort into my own cover designs rather than use a bog-standard wrapper or farm the work out for someone else to interpret.
Good book, worthwhile reading, and new things to learn.
on 9 April 2013
this ebook succinctly outlines the process of getting published without the need of Agent's and Publisher's. Leaving the control with the creative owner of the books prepared.

I would recommend it for any prospective author, irrespective of genre, who wish to try and get a feel for being published and perhaps make some money. Until well and truly established this will not turn someone into a successful author in terms of revenue but it will help and provide a far greater 'footplate' approach to getting marketed than you might have otherwise.
on 17 January 2014
If you want a more balanced view about e-book publishing this is the book for you.

A lot of the books I've read focus more on Amazon.

This book covers all the options.

Contains a lot of good, solid advice.

There’s some great advice on book pricing, and how to strike a balance between unit sales and profit.

It stresses the importance of patience, and word of mouth reccommendations.

It's packed with information, which is backed up by studies.

All at an unbeatable price!
on 11 May 2012
Quite good. The advice in here is repeated, however, and feels "banged on about" as you go on. I found that I kept skipping more and more until I read one page in the last few/several chapters/secrets.

But as it's free, you should read it. I knew most of the advice/secrets in this book so I didn't learn too much that was new but it was still a helpful book.