Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£2.99

on 8 September 2013
A good book for ideas when your lessons and imagination are getting a bit stale. One thing I would recommend is buying the paperback rather than the kindle edition as its difficult to flick through the kindle edition for ideas.
on 31 July 2013
This book is OK in its way I suppose. It provides a few fine epistemological nuggets that will put a smile on the face of any visiting Ofsted Inspector. A couple of key points are really quite well made. I can understand why the book became an iBook bestseller. '100 Things...' is handy for just dipping into. An overworked teacher suffering chronic mid-term blues can dive between the covers and sometimes pluck out a wee 'Tweak of the Week' pedagogic pearl. As a result their tired hastily cobbled-together lessons are slightly spruced up by simply applying a good idea from the book. However that strength is also a weakness in my view. I felt that the book was a bit too shallow for my wants and needs as a harassed teacher. It seemed to just touch on an idea before moving swiftly onto something new. I occasionally felt I was gargling from the fountain of knowledge instead of drinking from it. There are some good ideas in the book, but I am not sure there are 100 'awesome things' in it. I think it lacks the "Wow I've really gotta try that!" charge that I sometimes get when I read books written by Jim Smith, Dave Keeling, Phil Beadle or Sue Cowley. '100 things...' is OK, but I sort of feel that there are better books available out there.
on 29 December 2012
It didn't take long to read. It wasn't bombarded with academic jargon and theory. At every page, I thought of a class where the idea would or would not work. Brilliant.
on 15 September 2012
I bought this book as a birthday present for myself, and wasn't disappointed! There weren't many ideas in it that I hadn't heard at one time or another, but having them laid out and written about was quite inspiring. This book is readable, enjoyable and has lots of great ideas. Most of all, it is what I look for above all else in a book on teaching: useful.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 July 2015
"100 Things Awesome Teachers Do ..." is written with good intentions and many of the ideas, while light in the "wow" factor, are certainly good practice and it is not a bad book to dip into for a little re-fresh of ideas. However, there are other books that do much the same, with many of the same ideas, in a better way. While I liked the author's focus on practice rather than theory, I did get a bit tired of his "if you want to know more about this, look it up on Google" style. Content-wise, it loses a star for me on that basis alone.

It drops another star due to some pretty shoddy layout and unacceptably high number of literacy errors - which may be excusable in some books, but not in one were we are supposed to be mirroring good practice. There are a number of basic typographical errors that should have been picked up on even a most basic edit. Secondly the book seems to lack any concept of layout design. Titles hang at the bottom of pages which is really not great and makes the book look far cheaper than it is.

It's written with a good heart, but "could do better", I'm afraid. There's not enough genuinely thought provoking ideas here to make it worth the investment when there are better books out there (for example, Ross McGill's "100 ideas for secondary teachers".
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2013
This is a great little book packed full of excellent ideas to inspire and motivate teachers of all experience and age. I like the way it is set out so it is easy to refer to.
on 8 July 2013
I found this book a fantastic read as an aspiring teacher, luckily it filled me with the confidence I need to go into a classroom and take control. Some really great innovative ideas too! Especially the Google earth idea. I know a fair few 9 year olds that would absolutely love getting to see some parts of the world
on 4 December 2012
I have found a lot of brilliant ideas in this book and it has made me feel more enthusiastic about being a teacher. It's great to read other teachers thoughts, feelings and opinions on this occupation that is a mixture of so many different nuances that it is only a job for the brave or the daft!
on 28 May 2013
This is a great book for those new to teaching & those (like myself) who have been at it for a number of years. Easy to read, full of easy to implement tips & confirmation that much of what you're doing is 'AWESOME'! This comes highly recommended.
on 9 June 2013
I highly recommend this book. It kept me engrossed from the beginning to the end.
A big thanks to William Emeny for the OUTSTANDING book.