VINE VOICEon 2 July 2013
I've been working as a Team Member on a SCRUM team for 15+ months. Whilst I've read various books about Agile practices, covering different aspects of the development lifecycle (estimating, testing etc), I've not read one as concise as this before. Somebody I know who keeps hearing me talk about Agile bought this book to get an overview. I borrowed it and read it in half an hour (yes, it really is that short). Did I learn anything from it? No. However, it did remind me of a couple of aspects of SCRUM that the team I am part of doesn't practice. It also reminded me to address the definition of Done again, which is vital to things working smoothly. So, this tiny little book was useful for me as a seasoned software engineer (30+ years) who has been working with SCRUM for the last 15+ months. For anybody new to SCRUM and Agile, I suspect this book will also be useful, but mainly to trigger asking pertinent questions. This book is not enough on its own to suddenly convert a "waterfall" style team to SCRUM/Agile. It is, however, useful, accessible and short!
on 12 July 2012
Just been invited to project manage an IT team using SCRUM. This book clearly outlines its merits and methodolgy. I'm now very confident and excited to lead the team.
on 15 September 2012
Small easy to read book with excellent descriptions of Scrum.
I bought it to research Agile and Scrum before I went on a course and it has helped immensely.
on 21 August 2013
The trouble with short (breif) books is that they often leave you needing more, not this one.
I knew i needed to learn scrum but had no understanding at all about it until i got this book.

This book is very simple to read and clear and to the point, i have read through it twice already and will probably read it once more to really grasp the terms.

I am so impressed with Scrum that i have started to use it in my day to day management of my development team and we have instant results. i am now able to have accountability on work items and can clearly identify where skills are lacking, this alone is amazing. Thanks
on 1 August 2015
As dev lead for a small company experimenting with Scrum, I found this book to be a very useful 'way-in' for colleagues that weren't able to commit time to studying Scrum in more detail.

We distributed copies to the dev and management teams, and everyone found the necessary hour or two to read through it. Having done so, we all now have good general knowledge of what Scrum is about, which has helped to set the ball rolling for discussion and implementation.

It doesn't answer a lot of the questions that are likely to be asked of course, so if you're a Scrum-Master-to-be you'll want to make sure that you've done a bit more reading around!
on 28 February 2014
I've suspected for a long time that agile development is the right way to work in the short term. This little book explains why, and introduced me to the roles. I now know what a scrum master does.
on 4 February 2013
Very worthwhile - sure, you can find this information on the internet, but this presents it in a nice, quick to read format. I actually read this on the way to my Certified Scrum Master course
on 28 July 2014
I never heard of Agile or Scrum before, but after reading this quick and informative overview, it's an approach I've been using intuitively in my own software development. It makes sense. No need for complicated documents and dependency diagrams as in SSADM, yet rigorous enough to get things done and stick to the requirements (even if they tend to change during development as they inevitably do).

There's no discussion about the disadvantages and inherent pitfalls, but that's not necessary in this short treatise. I imagine it's something one would have to look into when working with Scrum in practice. Even for a large-scale project, it would probably be useful to break it down into smaller projects and use Scrum as a way to manage the development cycle.

What seems to be the most salient feature of Scrum is that developers work in small teams of around 7-9 people, with regular but highly focused planning and status meetings for each iteration of the product life cycle; and this keeps the communication tight and clear between members. And the client gets to see the progress milestones more frequently also, with real working results at each iteration.
on 28 May 2013
An excellent aide-memoire on SCRUM, which I found both concise and to the point. Well worth the pennies. It is only rated at four stars because I was left wanting slightly more clarity in a couple of minor areas, but otherwise excellent. I've read the book three times already so as to internalise the detail. There is no flab and almost every word is important. It matches my understanding of SCRUM from a fringe involvement in a past project and enabled me to understand how to contribute constructively and get the most from my participation.
on 23 March 2016
If you don't know what scrum, sprint, user story, stand-up, backlog etc. mean, you need to read this book. If you DO know what those words mean, you need to read this book - as a refresher.

This is Agile, done in an agile fashion.

A few more examples wouldn't have hurt, but this would be great to read alongside The Phoenix Project, which provides a fictional story of how Agile and DevOps work for a failing business, helping them to turn around.

Out of ten, I'd give this book - ten :-)