5.0 out of 5 stars Valtari: A Gentle Beast
On Valtari, Sigur Rós meld the melancholy introspection of 2002's '()' with the dense, classically charged electronic ambience of 2009's 'Riceboy Sleeps' album, by Jónsi and Alex. The result is an emotive hour of bittersweet abstraction;, shimmering piano keys, weeping strings and otherwordly singing invoke conflicting and complex emotions of joy and sadness...
Published on 29 May 2012 by Ananda

3.0 out of 5 stars Valtari Sigur Ros
A bit disappointing, hard to say why - you listen to it and do not remember anything that especially stands out
Published 20 months ago by clemency

5.0 out of 5 stars Victory Rose., 31 May 2012
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
Its very difficult for me to write an unbiased Sigur Ros review, I just love this band the music, artwork and the films/videos. I will say this is certainly a more experimental record and harks back to the soundscapes of the () album and has a lot in common with The Riceboy Sleeps album (Alex Sommers he of Jonsi and Alex also worked with the band on this LP) as a result its a very ambient affair in places.

Valtari only has the odd hints of Takk or Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust and very little in the way of the crashing percussion which had become a big part of the bands sound. This is definitely a change of pace and direction. It is however on some level strangely familiar with some choral arrangements reminiscent of their earlier work on Odins Raven Magic. This is in no way a bad thing from the first track you know instantly that this is a Sigur Ros record but the familiarity for me works in perfect balance with the bands experimental side.

Sigur Ros are back and I for one am very glad.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not bad..., 18 April 2013
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
This sounds a lot like their other music. With each album, it seems as if they changed their style enough to keep me interested. With Med Sud, they changed their style a lot, but there weren't enough of those moments that really made my spine tingle.

This album is a nice background listen, but there's nothing new here to allow me to really appreciate it. It has it's moments, but it doesn't come near to Takk or Agaetis Byrjun, in my opinion. Kjartan had basically left the band by the time this album had released, so it makes you wonder what he actually contributed. When I think of their finest moments, I think of Vidrar Vel til Loftarasa, Hoppipolla, Saeglopur, Svefn-g-englar... these melodies were contributed by Kjartan- the band has definitely lost a key member, and maybe his dwindling interest in the band shows on this album. Though I'm just guessing.

(Excuse my bad spelling of the Icelandic names and lack of use of Icelandic characters!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Sigur Ros album to date, 28 Jan 2013
christopher (st.neots, cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
Absolutely great listen! Their most optimistic post rock album to date. The soundflow is stunning and makes for great cooking (when I do much of my listening). Buy it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this album, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
This is the first Sigur Ros album I have bought after hearing it playing in a shop. I had heard other stuff of theirs and liked it but not enough to buy straight away but this album jumped out at me- I think it is beautiful. I have gone on to buy 2 more of their albums and yet I don't like them as much as this one. Valtari is easier to listen to, more subdued, haunting and mature than their earlier albums. I think it is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 3 July 2012
A. Unsworth - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
8 tracks, 3 of them instrumental. Most of tracks 1-5 (the vocal tracks) are pretty good, verging on excellent in places, whilst tracks 6-8 (instrumental) are decent, atmospheric pieces but fail to really hold my attention. Theres moments that are reminiscent of Alright Start, places where samples and electronic stuff has more prominence than on the last few albums which for my money is a refreshing change, but on several tracjks i felt they ended too swiftly. I'd have to put this album behind 'Alright Start', 'Behind ()', Behind Tak. So its in 4th place for me right now; flashes of brilliance let down by a lack of quantity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen if depressed otherwise enjoy, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Valtari (MP3 Download)
Varúš track is my favourite and is haunting, powerful and beautiful, the rest is just growing on me. The use of the Choir in Daušalogn works incredibly well with Sigur Ros's sound and I hope they do more in that vain. Nothing clever to say exept this is an excellent album of thought provoking ambient music. Still dont know what they are singing about and I have no intention of finding out.
Glad their are other people who love their music. I'm on my own in my liking their music everyone I know finds it too depressing and the language a barrier, their loss!

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of good parts but flawed on the whole, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
Firstly: I have and love all the previous Sigur Ros albums. Which is, perhaps, what leads me to review Valtari in a somewhat disappointed air.

As my title for this review suggests, it has some very excellent moments throughout listening to its whole length but, by the end of the listen, I cannot help but feel that something is lacking in a way that the previous cd's didn't.

When I first started to play the cd I thought, YES, YES, YES to the opening couple of minutes and then, suddenly, what's happened ? And then, from that moment, its all rather a very piece-meal affair. As I understand it, this cd has been gestating from a number of ideas over a number of years - and quite honestly, that is exactly what it sounds like. Definately lacking focus.

And so, for what its worth, here is a couple of points on how I think the album could have been so much better:

1. I would have liked another track at the end, and one that was a typical Sigur Ros slow burner that led up to a typical Sigur Ros climax. The cd has only one of these moments and it is placed (approx) in the middle of the listen. It definately needs that high climax at the end to help balance it out.

2. The lack of percussion is also a problem. Which only goes to show that, when the percussion does come in (ooooooh yes, that long protracted build up leading up to that loud pounding distorted percussion) it is so very very welcome. On the whole, the cd goes on for too long without some sort of neccessary interesting diversions such as drums, melody's etc.

3. Speaking of melody's - this is definately lacking the Sigur Ros melodys of previous cd's. Yes, there is melody here but, it is of the protracted ambient type that just seems to meander without purpose at times. There is nothing on this cd that melts me into a state of emotional appreciation (it was just beginning to happen in those opening couple of minutes of the cd but then, zap, all gone !) in the way that Sigur's previous releases do.

On the plus side - it is a very well recorded cd and if, like me, you are one who likes to listen on headphones, there are lots of typical Sigur Ros things going on in the background and down in the mix.

So, overall opinion: Its fine if you want long periods of ambient tinkerings but its not diverse enough over its total length. Needs a big finish. I don't loath it but neither do I love it. It will probably likewise divide opinion amongst the Sigur Ros fan-base.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peerless., 2 Jun 2012
Paul Price "ironicbliss" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Valtari (MP3 Download)
The stars at night dance to this. Celebrating the day it fell to Earth, found within a meteorite. 12 listens in and its still sending me on different paths of discovery. If there is one piece of music you want to buy this year that resolutely refuses to be pigeon holed then this just might be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melancholic pleasure, 28 May 2012
Eoin Tweeddale "Roadrunner" (Heaven or Las Vegas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
It's just so easy to lose yourself in this.

Every track slowly caresses you and it is a hauntingly beautiful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Genre!, 11 Sep 2012
M. D. Pithie (Aberdeen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valtari (Audio CD)
This is wonderful music beyond genre - ethereal, beautiful and soothing.

I listened to this for the first time and was variously reminded of Arvo Part , Henryk Gorecki , Eno , Bjork (in her quieter moments) Harold Budd and John Foxx.

Forget the generic labels and bathe in this excellent recording!

Valtari
Valtari by Sigur Rós (Audio CD - 2012)