I love the e-ink type display. I cannot read for long on an LCD screen it just hurts my eyes. I find these Kindles much better than the LCD variety but they always were too dark and needed reasonably strong light to get the best from them, no longer!

The screen on this new kindle is just outstanding. It has an even light from top to bottom and I can read it in normal room light, bright sunshine to total darkness, amazing.

The increased resolution does make a difference and PDF files in particular are so much clearer, touch really helps those too by being able to pinch to zoom in.

Is it perfect, well no, this is first generation technology, there are four slightly brighter spots where the leds are at the bottom of the screen and there is some shadowing on the screen, but is VERY slight and really easily ignored. The benefits WAY outweight the minor issues. I feel people are being too overly sensitive moaning about any downsides as this screen is not only beautiful but far better than even the nearest competition.

Kindle is as kindle always is, easy to use, light, easy to read, its taken me from no books being read per month to several, which has to be a good thing, right?

As the Amazon engineers describe it, the kindle melts away and your just reading a book, the tech vanishes after a few minutes and you get engrossed in your reading. Thats means its doing its job.

I have been plagued by problems though. I am now on my third Kindle. The first had a mark on the 'light guide' which looked like a mark, but only when the screen lit up. The second arrived with a screen that was slightly askew and rotated which had to be replaced. Hopefully I was just unlucky and things are better for most other people. If nothing else Amazon replaced these next day without any problem.

UPDATE: I am now on my fourth Kindle and I am glad to say it is fully working. I am however sad to say that my account has been flagged as having too many returns and Amazon say it is now being monitored. I find that deeply insulting considering what has gone on recently. Amazon has shown very little in the way of tact and diplomacy or indeed just basic customer care.
on 7 February 2013
There's a reason Amazon rules the roost when it comes to e-ink readers: You won't find better design and functionality elsewhere. Accordingly, this one's a lovely product, even better than its predecessors, and the design speaks of everything Amazon has learned after 4 generations of kindles. Its unique selling point is of course the built-in light, which works wonderfully well, giving the display a nice overall glow without causing any strain on the eyes (like the backlit LCD displays do). The slight lack of uniformity in the lighting, particularly near the bottom, doesn't look unseemly at all, and if anything, kind of gives the display a 'character'. It's slightly heavier than the standard kindle, most probably to accommodate a more powerful battery to support the lighting while retaining life with single charge, but is still light enough for longterm single-handed use. I was a bit sceptical about the touchscreen; if given an option, i'd rather not keep touching and putting my fingerprints all over the screen. However, the functionality it offers in this case actually grows on you, and besides, it seems to have a fairly robust oleophobic coating of some kind, and is quite resistant to accumulating any fingerprints. Finally, the text layout and default font size/ design worked perfectly well for me, so I didn't feel the need to try out the other fonts/ sizes on offer. The bezel and backcover material is also an improvement over the previous ones, and the slightly rubbery texture allows excellent grip. I find the matte black finish a better choice than the grey one on the standard kindle, as it would be more resistant to developing the 'dirty' look after prolonged use, and looks classier anyways especially with the contrast it offers alongside the 'paperwhite' screen.

Overall, a fabulous product; if you love reading, you won't find a better way to indulge your passion.
on 2 February 2013
I have strongly resisted the idea of an e reader as I have spent my life browsing in second hand bookshops and love the feel and look of books. However I decided to take the plunge once I realised that I could still buy paper books but also have the convenience of carrying several books around with me in an extremely compact format to read whenever and wherever I liked. The range of free Kindle books has also amazed me and I have read books that I would never have considered buying and have greatly enjoyed widening my range of reading material.

Two of the biggest benefits of the Kindle paperwhite for me are:

Being able to increase the size of the font and the style of the font. As I am getting older (60 this year) I am finding it more and more difficult to read small print especially at night in poor light and the Kindle allows me to adjust the size of the font very easily to meet my current requirements. This is particularly useful for the Victorian novels I enjoy as they do seem to be printed in a small typeface generally.

Being able to read in bed with the light off takes me back to my childhood when I used to read by the light of a torch under the bedclothes when I was supposed to be asleep. However nowadays it is my husband who benefits by being able to sleep more easily in the comparitive darkness of the backlit Kindle.

On the downside I have quickly discovered that the Kindle paperwhite is not an ideal medium for non-fiction books with coloured photos, drawings or maps as they lose all definition in black and white and cannot be expanded for clarity.

All in all I have been completely converted to my Kindle but will never lose my love of the feel of those special books.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 January 2013
When reading some of the negative reviews about this reader, i was extremely skeptical about getting one because there appeared to be a lot of quality control issues and design flaws according to some reviewers. The missus and mother both got one for Xmas and i have to say i have been really impressed, so much so that i went and bought one myself.

I have to say that i love it. The Paperwhite is lightweight, really intuitive to use and the illumination is brilliant especially for reading in the dark. You can store your books in collections which is a really good feature when you have a lot of books stored. As an iPad user i have high expectations of the touch interface and i must say that is really impressive as well. It is responsive and has really useful zones for turning pages forward, back and bringing up the settings. You can also swipe backwards and forwards to turn pages as well. It has to be remembered that this screen is using a different screen technology to achieve the printed page effect, so is not going to behave like an iPad other other touch screen device.

In addition to the many free books that are available on Amazon, it is also possible to add your own books as well. When plugged into the computer, the Paperwhite appears as an external drive which you can drag files to. You can also use free programs like Calibre to manage your own library and upload books to the Paperwhite as well which is very useful.

There are a myriad of different cases available, many for under £10 which is real bargain. When used in conjunction with the right case, the Paperwhite has a sleep/wake feature so it behaves essentially like a real book being ready to read when you open the cover.

Over all I love the Paperwhite and have not found any negative points to mention. I must say that with the exception of those few reviewers who have sent units back with actual faults, I think others must have very specific and perhaps unrealistic expectations of how the Paperwhite should work, if they are unsatisfied with how the Paperwhite works or looks, perhaps e-readers are just not for them. Time will tell if issues of reliably start appearing after a year or so as mentioned by some, I have three units in the family to keep an eye on.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have now owned the Kindle Paperwhite for just over a month. In most respects it does just what it says on the tin. The light is quite a useful function, particularly when I want to read after my wife has gone to sleep. I can do so comfortably and without eyestrain without disturbing her. There is, as several people have mentioned, a shadow at the bottom of the screen, but as it doesn't interfere with reading, it doesn't bother me. The page turning is usually simple and responsive, but occasionally hangs up. More annoying is the near-uselessness of the search function. I have nine hundred books on my Kindle, and when I finish one, choose my next and then search for it, about half the time it gets into a loop and never actually finds anything. So I have taken the trouble to locate and open the next ten or so planned books in order to facilitate finding them when the time comes. Set the home view to recent and the next ten are there. The title and author view is unreliable, dependent on indexing, which I really don't have the patience to go through and correct. I have obtained my books through other outlets, so I never connect to Amazon, but I have heard from friends that this causes no end of problems. But with 900 books, it'll be a while before I need any new ones, so connecting is not a requirement. I like the Paperwhite a good deal more than my Kindle 4, which is now in my son's possession. Now, if they just sort out the other functions, maybe it will be five stars.
on 24 January 2013
A few years ago, I owned a kindle keyboard. It was great, but sadly, after a around a year, a series of tragic events led to the demise of my kindle. The years since then I have passed reading books - that is, paper books. Books are books whatever you read them on, and the content is still the same, but nevertheless, I did miss the ease of carrying around my entire collection on a device smaller than an average paperback. I missed the ability to easily create notes and highlight text for later viewing, and how I could also view others' notes and highlights as I read. These features, I am glad to say, are still here in the Paperwhite, along with others, such as the feature to see how long you have left until you finish the chapter or the book.

What makes the Paperwhite so much better than its predecessors, other than its smaller size and nicer-looking design, is the addition of a capacitive touch screen and a frontlight. The touchscreen means that typing on the kindle is no longer as frustrating as it once was, and highlighting and selecting words is incredibly simple. The light works fantastically; I cannot express how useful it is to be able to lie in bed and read without having to find a lamp and position it awkwardly just so that I can read without straining my eyes in the half-darkness. Reading in the car when being driven in the evening is now possible without blinding the driver, as is reading on an aeroplane at night. The light source is even (I have had none of the reported problems on uneven light or tinged screens) and easily adjustable, and worth, in my opinion, paying the extra money over the regular Kindle for alone.
on 15 January 2013
I do not know how Amazon could top the Paperwhite Kindle. Its my third so far. The first was a Keyboard version, a gray one. The second was a Kindle Touch. I liked the Keyboard version but not the Touch. It was clunky in operation, often jumping forward not just one page but whole chapters at a time. The Paperwhite, while not as responsive as my Ipad, is streets ahead of the Kindle Touch. I have confidence that when I touch it that the Paperwhite will do as I ask. The light is great. OK so it is a little uneven towards the bottom but you will find you forget about it after a week or so. It also only becomes obvious if the light is turned up high. On a 7, which is where I tend to use it, then the light is evenly spread. I got the 3g version as I invariably go on UK holidays where there is no wireless signal. Its fine in towns and cities but out in the countryside - nope. Admittedly I am sometimes found balancing on a tree stump waving the Kindle around in an attempt to pick up a 3g signal but downloads are pretty speedy and have been so on all three of my Kindles to date.

You may wonder why I would use a Kindle when I could just as easily read Kindle books on my Ipad? It backlit vs frontlit. Backlit I find is too harsh for extended reading periods. Its fine for accessing the net etc but not for a couple of hours of reading. The Kindle never gives me eye strain unlike the ipad which does after extended use. I don't know how Amazon could top this model. Yes, they could make a jump to colour but I prefer physical books if I need to access colour images. All in all this is my best Kindle yet. Thanks Amazon!
on 13 January 2013
Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant. I enjoyed using the original Kindle. I did wonder at fiorst because I love books and can easily read one in a day. I thought that maybe using an electronic reader would spoil things. But no, it enhances the experience. So many books nowadays have such small print but the kindle does away with all that. However I did find that I needed a certain amount of light to read the original kindle. The keyboard was a bit fiddly and I never really used it. Also I found that my thumb would sometimes slip and I would inadvertently skip a page. Not so with paperwhite. I can read it with no light, in bright sunlight and anything in between. Pages turn easily. I do find it more responsive to tap rather than swipe but it works well. The light itself is fantastic and can be adjusted to suit conditions. Being smaller than the original it is easier to hold and I don't inadvertently press the page forward button because there isn't one.
I also find it much easier to order books. With the older one I tended to order via my PC but the paperwhite is so responsive and easy to use that I use it more than the PC now to browse and order.
Another feature I do like is the way that it will tell you how long left to read in a Chapter (or the whole book) This is very useful.
The only possible downside is that it can't read to you like the original did, but then I never used that function anyway but it could be useful at times.
I could go on about how wonderful e readers are in general and the paperwhite in particular but all I can really say is that it is one of the best things I have brought.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had two Kindles and have finally ended up with a Paperwhite. I don't want a Kindle Fire as I already have an Android tablet with the Kindle app on it, but the Paperwhite seems to be ideal for reading ebooks. Why it is better than the standard Kindle?

- the touchscreen operation is very good - I like the way that a large portion of the screen is given over to the next page touch area, with a thinner strip on the left being assigned to previous page and a strip at the top bringing up the menu.

- the screen is very clear and benefits from lighting so you can read it in dim or dark conditions. The light is very easy to brighten or darken just by bringing up the menu and moving your finger over the lighting strength indicator.

- the battery life is fantastic - quite amazing when you think that the wireless defaults to "on" and the light also uses power.

- the Paperwhite calculates your reading speed and uses it to tell you how long it will take you to reach the end of the chapter or the end of the book. I find this very useful.

- the x-ray feature brings up loads of information about books which have been prepared for it. Tap on any page and you can find "chapters and locations that mention ideas, characters, and important places, as well as background info, biographies, and more from Shelfari and Wikipedia". Not all books have it, but when its there it's fantastic.

So, in answer to the question, yes, it's definitely worth an upgrade.
on 3 January 2013
I've had my second generation Kindle (with keyboard) for a couple of years and it's one of best gifts I've ever received, along with one of the best gadgets I've ever owned (and, trust me, I do love my gadgets).

A relative bought me the Kindle PW as a Christmas gift and I've been using it for a few days. It takes a bit of getting used to and there are still things about my old Kindle which I prefer; for example, the forward/back page buttons on both sides are great to facilitate you being able to very easily navigate backwards and forwards, using both hands whilst holding the device in several different positions. As the Kindle PW doesn't offer this, it seems to limit the way it can be held whilst still being able to go back and forth pages with ease.

The screen is a higher resolution which shows straight away and it's physically smaller than my old Kindle, whilst still having the same screen size. The touch screen is very good although I'm spoilt by using Apple devices all day so anything else seems clunky. Using it without physical buttons take a little practice and although some functions (dictionary lookup, for example) can initially seem to take longer to action, with a bit of practice they're actually easier to do with the touch screen than with the old version's physical buttons.

Physically, the rubberised back really helps to keep the unit in your hands and the official Amazon case is excellent and well worth the seemingly steep price of 30gbp. So, after all that, why not 4 or even 5 stars? Well, it's down to the back-light again...

The new screen is brighter in low light conditions (even with the back-light switched off/down to minimum) than my old Kindle; the light is really useful and even though I don't tend to read in the dark or in darkened rooms, it really does make a huge difference in somewhere as seemingly well lit such as a train carriage. Turn the light on even a few bars and it makes reading much easier. However, those pesky shadows really do ruin any chance Amazon have of this getting 4/5 stars. My device has them, so does my sister-in-law's and even though they really don't bother me that much and don't really distract me when reading (even with the light on full), you still know they exist and they really shouldn't. Other manufacturers have shown that an e-reader can have a full back-light without shadows, so why can't Amazon seem to figure this out? This could be a show-stopper for a lot of people and I'd really recommend trying the Kindle PW in a shop with the light at various levels before committing to purchase (or buy from Amazon but be prepared to return it).

Apart from that, it's a great device and in almost every way is better than my old Kindle.