4,314 Reviews
 (2,954)

5,529 of 5,646 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Kindle (almost!)
Published 21 months ago by Fireball Dragon

1,809 of 1,939 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Almost there.. but quality control needs more attention.
Published 21 months ago by Mr. T. Shaw

5,529 of 5,646 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Kindle (almost!), 25 Oct 2012
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Almost two weeks ago (at the time of writing this review; October 2012) I received an email from Amazon, showing off the Kindle Paperwhite. I recently purchased the Kindle Touch in August, and my initial reaction to seeing Amazon replace the UK market with this device so quickly was not positive. Being unaware of the US-exclusive existence of the PaperWhite, I took some time to read reviews about the new features, and immediately realised that this was what I wanted from my Kindle Touch. The additional features in this upgrade seemed sufficient to justify the purchase and soon after, I pre-ordered Amazon's latest offering.

*FIRST IMPRESSIONS*

-The Kindle Paperwhite ships in its original box and was highly nostalgic of the Kindle Touch. On opening the box, the Paperwhite is the first thing you see, wrapped in a plastic film cover. A usb cable and quick start guide are also included.

-The home button is gone, replaced by a Kindle logo. Also, the device is very slightly thinner than the Touch, but any difference is hardly noticeable.

-The bezel is noticeably smaller in width, with the screen now also sitting more flush.

-The device itself is very slick, and generally looks and feels more classy and elegant than the Touch. It has a slate-black finish, with a rubber-like material on the back to aid grip during long reading sessions (although I have housed my Kindle in a cover).

*LIGHT GUIDE AND SCREEN RESOLUTION*

-Arguably, the biggest selling point for this new Kindle is the amazing built-in light. I can imagine that most existing Kindle owners would upgrade for this alone. Light brightness is adjusted by a slider accessed at the top of the screen.

-Amazon have also increased the screen resolution/pixel density to 220 PPI. This works out to be 62% more pixels than the Touch. In actuality, I could not notice much of a difference, especially when the screen brightness was fully dimmed. However, there is a noticeable difference when screen brightness is maxed out, providing greater contrast.

-The native (unlit) screen background is essentially the same colour as previous models, with the `Paperwhite' only becoming apparent when brightness is increased. However, when screen brightness is on the highest setting, I have noticed some uneven light distribution along the bottom of the screen. This does not personally affect my reading experience, but some may find it distracting.

*IMPROVED TOUCH SCREEN*

-The Kindle Papwerwhite's 6" touch screen has been enhanced, and now uses 'capacitative touch', instead of previous generation Kindles that use 'Infra Red touch'. Simply put, this change translates to a more accurate touch sensor, resulting in smoother page turns and more specific touches in general. Although the touch response is not as effective as my iPad, I have found the difference to be much better than the kindle Touch.

-Typing is definitely easier than the Touch, due to the improved capabilities of the new touch screen. There is less delay from pressing characters to them appearing on screen and typing accuracy is also increased.

*OTHER NEW FEATURES*

-The biggest change is apparent once you turn the Kindle on, with a complete overhaul on the user interface. Books are now displayed with a book cover icon, as opposed to the text format of previous generations. A negative point I can raise here is that book 'recommendations' (ads) appear at the bottom of the screen. There is an option to revert to the old menu interface from the Kindle Touch; I prefer this option as it doesn't show these book suggestions from Amazon.

-There are now six different font styles to choose from, with eight adjustable sizes.

-Bookmarks, notes/annotations and the dictionary are all still present, and work as efficiently as before.

-One feature I really found to be welcome was the ability to see how much time is left until the next chapter. The time remaining is intuitively calculated by the Kindle, based on your previous reading speed.

-Although I have not yet had the device for long enough to comment on the battery life, Amazon claims 8 weeks, which is identical to the Touch. However, I have used the device for a few hours now, and not noticed any decline in the battery icon.
*edit: Okay, after owning this device for almost 4 months now, I can say that the battery life is every bit as good as the Kindle Touch. I read on the PW for ~8-10 hrs per week (medium to low light), and am currently doing a full charge (with a usb mains plug) every 3-4 weeks (although I could push this to 5 if I depleted the battery completely)* I should also add, that battery is only affected when turning pages and refreshing the screen, not when static images are displayed.

-Although certain features have been lost (see cons), the Kindle Paperwhite still retains wikipedia support and web browsing (which is very basic indeed).

-I would also highly recommend the official Amazon case, which I ordered with my Kindle PW. The Kindle fits in nicely and is very secure, allowing you to wake the Kindle from sleep mode when the cover is opened.

*NEGATIVE POINTS*

-I was a tad disappointed with the loss of the stereo speakers. This results in no text-to-audio feature and no audiobooks.

-Also gone are the headphone jack and mp3 payer.

-On board memory has been slashed from 4GB in the Touch to 2GB with the Paperwhite. Amazon provides justification for this by allowing readers to take advantage of Amazon's cloud based storage. With the removal of mp3 and audio playback, this reduction is not much of an issue, as 2GB is still plenty of space to store around 1000 e-Books.

*CONCLUSION*

With the tablet march on the rise, I am glad that there is still a huge market for dedicated e-readers. People often ask why I own both an iPad and Kindle, when I have the ability to read Kindle books on tablets. Yes, the Kindle is low tech when compared to tablets, but I feel that this is an unfair comparison. The Kindle is an excellent device for 'reading', with no distractions, an intuitive interface, paper-like visuals and a very small learning curve.

Although the new features of the Kindle are highly recommended, I will sorely miss audio books, mp3 playback and text to audio. If you did not fully utilise these features, I would strongly recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. However, if listening to audiobooks and mp3s on your Kindle is important, you may wish to weigh the pros and cons of this new device.

On a personal note, I am content with my new Kindle, and will just listen to mp3s on my phone during train journeys whilst enjoying the Paperwhite's gorgeous screen! If you have taken the time to read this review in its entirety, you must love reading. Do yourself (and the books you love!) justice and order the Kindle Paperwhite today; this nifty gadget will not fail you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love at first read!, 4 Nov 2012
I was so excited when I saw that Amazon had announced the Paperwhite as I hate having really bright lights on in a room when I'm reading, but I struggled to read my Kindle Keyboard in slightly dimmed indoor lighting. Was very disappointed when it was only planned to be be released in the US so started looking at getting the Touch, but after reading tepid reviews on it I thought I may as well wait as I knew Amazon would eventually bring the Paperwhite over here. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I waited!
I was a little disappointed that the memory was less than the Keyboard and I was very apprehensive about having no buttons whatsoever. Now I've been using it since the release day (seriously fast delivery!), the lower memory capacity has made no difference to me and I have gotten used to the touch screen, which is very quick, responsive and easy to use.
I love the sleek black design and feels very comfortable to hold, both weight wise and feel of the casing. The black makes the screen seem even whiter and the contrast even better. The resolution increase is amazing and very obvious coming from the Kindle Keyboard.
On mine, the front light is very even and has no colour blotches anywhere, and I looked very thoroughly in the dark to make sure! The 4 grey patches at the bottom of the screen between the four LED's are apparent and more so when the light is on its brightest setting, but it doesn't affect my reading as its only over the progress info.
For the next kindle it would be great if it was a bit lighter and thinner as I have it in the Amazon case the majority of the time, which adds a lot of weight and thickness to it. And if they could get rid of the grey patches at the bottom of the screen and improve the overall consistency of the light on all Kindle Paperwhite's, then it would be perfect.
Would have liked to add another half star cos I love it so much!

1,809 of 1,939 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Almost there.. but quality control needs more attention., 27 Oct 2012
Mr. T. Shaw "Galoot" (UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking forward to the Kindle Paperwhite sooo much I originally pre-ordered one from the states until I read about the unexpected UK release. I love my current Kindle and originally the only reason I was looking to upgrade is because I read a lot in complete darkness (when my wife is asleep) or in very low light. I used a Mightybright clip on light with my old Kindle and this worked pretty well but it eats through a couple of batterys every few weeks and is not very convenient.

So I received my Kindle Paperwhite in the post this week, thank you for the quick delivery Amazon! I'm not a big fan of wordy Amazon reviews so I'll use points below so I don't bore you to death!

Things I love:

+ The build quality of the Kindle itself feels very good
+ The new Kindle menu system is nice
+ The touch screen is brilliant, very responsive (not sure how this compares to the old touch as my old Kindle is non touch)
+ The resolution of the text is noticeably improved
+ The new time to finish chapter and book feature (not needed but its fun)

Things I don't love:

- In complete darkness or low light I have a green'ish shadow\smudge from the top right of my Kindle to the middle left, I also have a brighter pinkish smudge below this green shadow
- The unevenness of the light under dark or very low light conditions in general

Things that could be improved:

- The shadows from the lights at the bottom, they don't really bother me as they don't cover too much text but I would imagine this could and should be improved on
- I don't mind the suggested books at the bottom of the main cover view page, but why don't you incorporate the 99p book of the day in to this? I'm actually interested in the book of the day and it would be great to have this as a shortcut on the Paperwhite somewhere.

So I am torn.. I read so much in darkness and low light that the green shadow and the uneven screen bothers me. If I turn the light right up the shadow doesn't look so bad but then the screen is so bright that it lights up the room and hurts my eyes after a while. To be honest the old Mightybright clip on light was much better.

If I only used the device in normal lighting conditions I would love it! As it stands I might send it back and buy try a Kobo Glo or maybe get a replacement.

-------------------------------------------------

Update 1: Ok I have decided I like the new Paperwhite enough to try and get a replacement device. I called customer services today and have a replacement being sent out. I really hope that the screen on the replacement is better as I want to love it as much as my old one!

Update 2: Well the new Kindle arrived today, nice and fast replacement yay! Unfortunately the replacement is no better, doh! It's got a more of a yellow hue to the screen, it still has faint greeny shadows and uneven brighter areas just in different areas to my original. Oh and the shadows at the bottom are higher up than the original, oddly the brightness levels are different as well (the lowest brightness setting is darker). So it appears that each Paperwhite is a bit unique like a one off! I'm not going to bother getting a third sent out as I guess this is how they are.. maybe I'm just fussy!? So I'll either keep the original or buy a Kobo! Anyone know what the return policy is on Kobo's?

Update 3: Amazon offered to send out a third replacement, I declined and I'm going to stick with the original paperwhite device for now. I did look at a Kobo Glo and the light does seem really nice and even but the text looks slightly more washed out with a little less less contrast. If the green shadowing still annoys me after another week of reading I'll return it and buy a Kobo. I hope you all have better luck with your devices!

Final Update: I haven't been able to get used to the uneven screen so I'm returning it and I have purchased a Kobo Glo. I'm really gutted as I loved most of the Paperwhite, just hated the uneven lighted screen when reading in the dark! Just for info the Kobo Glo light 'is' much better but the text is slightly washed out by the light, the Kindle overall is a better device for many reasons but as the reading light is very important for me the Kobo is more suitable.

I have added a couple of images (sorry about the low quality) so that potential buyers can better see what I am talking about.. hope this helps! Link is http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo1PZC2T0FAF6RW/B007OZO03M/ref=cm_ciu_images_pl_link

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product but terrible quality control, 11 April 2013
The Kindle Paperwhite is the Kindle I was waiting for. It feels good in the hand, doesn't have lots (or any) buttons, the touch screen works well, it has a screenlight so that you can read anywhere and has the latest Kindle software and features. If you get a good one then I think it's the best of breed.

However, getting a good one is the main problem. I bought my first Kindle Paperwhite from a supermarket but had to return it for a full refund as the display had very noticable ghosting/smudges which was distracting when reading on anything but the lowest of light settings. The second was purchased directly from Amazon and whilst better than the first, still had a faint blue splodge which started at the top right of the screen and worked its way down. I phoned Amazon customer services who sent me another unit which arrived in just over a day - excellent service! This Kindle is not 100% perfect but it is close so I will keep it. The Paperwhite is not quite as white and brilliant as Amazon leads you to believe!

I like:
The device itself (size, feel, touchscreen, light).
The Kindle ecosystem - This is where the Kindle beats all rivals (My books effortlessly sync across my phone, tablet, PC, Kindle). (I was going to buy the Kobo but this area wasn't quite as good as the Kindle.)
Amazon's customer service (so far).

I don't like:
Amazon's quality control - Reading the other reviews, there are far too many people who have had similar problems to me.
The Paperwhite implementation - It just isn't a brilliant as Amazon's photos and adverts claim it to be.
Longevity? - I hope this device lasts at least 3 years of careful use before giving up the ghost - See previous Kindle reviews.
Closed system - You may need to convert books from other sources in order to read them (ePUB, etc).
Audio books are not supported,
No memory expansion - Not really a problem to me, more a nice to have.

So there you have it. 4 stars for now as the ecosystem and the Kindle Paperwhite could have been near perfect (so long as you don't want to use audio books) but, just like the previous Kindle, quality control is poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have waited to write this review, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
After reading lots of reviews, both good and bad, I placed my order. on the basis that I would make up my own mind.
I previously Purchased the Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display,and I have been very happy with it.

I have had my new Kindle Paperwhite 3G for a month now, and am just overjoyed with the whole package.
I have waited to write this review, to give it a thorough workout.

And I am extremely happy with what I have found, unlike other reviewers, I have had no issues with the light
in fact I cant praise it enough, it is a variable light and works well in all lighting conditions.

The touch screen is very responsive, and as far as I can tell, is very accurate.
and the Kindle itself has all the features you would expect and more.

It was very easy to set up following the on screen instructions,and I was up and running within minuets.
I put the kindle on charge as soon as I had unpacked it, and it took just under 4 hours, to indicate a full charge.

I have used my Kindle constantly since then, for many hours a day. (I enjoy reading)
And looks like I still have plenty of charge left, so the 8 weeks battery life claim looks very possible to me.

I am very happy with my New Kindle, and would recommend it to anyone thinking about buying an e-reader.
I cannot recommend any other readers, as I have only had Kindles both of witch, I have been more than happy with.

As an addition to his review, I must add, that my wife took over my old Kindle. (It has it's 1st birthday in 14 days so not that old)
But she has shown an unhealthy interest in the new one, so it looks like I will have to get her an upgrade,
and pass on hers to my eldest Daughter. (I have 3 daughters and a son so this may get a bit expensive)
But if it encourages reading in the youth has to be a good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good update on the Kindle Keyboard, 26 Oct 2012
I got mine yesterday and overall I really like it. There are a few minor nitpicks which just give Amazon some room for minor improvement but don't change my satisfaction and on Groundhog day I'd buy it again and again in a flash.

My wife and I have each been using a Kindle Keyboard (KK) for over a year and we liked the idea of the touch screen, internal light for bedtime reading without disturbing partner, smaller size and whiter display. We don't really use the keyboard so the reduced size isn't a compromise. So this review should hopefully help other KK users make the decision, and also I hope Amazon take note of the minor issues to address in a software update.

The display is good but not perfect. You'll see others complaining about the shadows at the bottom when the brightness is turned up. Like anything new you are immediately aware of them, but after a few days I expect I'll not notice. I don't find them obtrusive or distracting. Some unlucky souls on the US website have had faulty displays showing colour blotches, etc. but ours are ok. If you turn the brightness down to minimum it turns the light off and the screen is exactly as grey as the KK.

I don't find the text quite as nice as the KK. This is just really a personal opinion. The default font is "Caecilia" and there are 5 others to choose from, but in my view none are quite as nice as the latest KK one (after the recent 3.4 software update). Otherwise choosing font size, line spacing and margins is good.

The touch is nice, you don't have to press it, just put your finger there. Almost as good as my iPad, and apparently much better than the previous touch model (which I haven't personally tried).

I don't have any problems navigating it with touch and in fact I find it easier than with a keyboard or buttons. The menus seem fine.

There's a feature which I'm very relieved to find which no-one else seems to have mentioned. The speed of paging. If like me you have over 100 books you get a lot of books to page through if you're searching through the Cloud (the new term for archived content). In my case it's 14 pages and will grow. I was worried that with many more books it would be tedious like the KK is. I experimented with swiping left as quickly as possible 10 times (say 2 seconds in all) and it skipped to page 11 after another second - great! I noticed a "Page Refresh" setting in "Settings" which says "Refresh the ink display with every page turn". This didn't seem to stop the above experiment from working so I'm at a loss as to what effect having it on would have. It is defaulted to off and I've switched it back off.

It took me only a minute or two after first turning it on to get rid of the "icon" view of books. They are by default shown via thumbnail pictures of a few front covers but you can change this to a text list. This was a relief as my immediate thought was "Oh no"! Also the default "front cover" view of the home screen has a lower half showing a few of the latest Amazon titles. What?! Advertising? When I've paid for this? Ah the relief when it disappeared with the switch to a text list was palpable.

Even the text display of books on the home screen or the cloud list seems a bit wasteful of space and I thought they could have found something more compact. Still with the ability to skip quickly through this shouldn't be a problem.

To make or remove a bookmark you have to be careful to touch it right in the top right hand corner otherwise it brings up the top menu instead. There seems no way to delete any of them from the list of bookmarks as you could with the KK. But even with my habit of making a lot, paging to the last one is quick as noted above so creating a lot of them won't be a problem.

Another minor nitpick mentioned only to bring it to Amazon' attention. I find "Collections" useful to remove dross from the home screen i.e. the Amazon guides, "My Clippings" which I don't use, miscellaneuos dictionaries, etc. Unfortunately I haven't been able to amalgamate the "Dictionaries" collection with my created "Miscellaneous" collection - Amazon please unlock this.

Reducing the storage from 4GB to 2GB won't be an issue for us. Of course I haven't had to download all my archived books but I have no reason to think it will use up any more storage per book than the KK. When I connected the KK to the computer I saw it used up about 150MB out of the 3.2GB available (some of the 4GB must be taken up by the operating system). I hadn't deleted any of the 100+ books. Connecting the Paperwhite, the computer says it has 1.5 GB available so I could get to 1000 books on it before it fills up. And anyway I'll probably now get into the habit of deleting them once read, since they are reliably backed up at Amazon - except of course for the few other non-Amazon books I've added.

I won't use the shopping basket to buy books. I find it much easier to search with the full computer browser. In the same way I wouldn't use the Amazon "Experimental Browser" in the Paperwhite. Web pages are so complex now this is entirely impractical to use compared to a tablet where you can zoom.

The search facility looks pretty good although in parctice I don't expect to use it much at all so I'll refrain from further comment.

There are the inevitable social network links - bah humbug.

I'm a bit disappointed that they've cut costs by not including the charger plug. A minor nitpick since you can charge via USB, so I suppose it's a bit cheaper than it would have been. Because we find a mains charger more convenient, I've ordered a charger from Amazon (shared with my wife) at 18 which seems excessive. I wouldn't buy a cheap charger or use a mobile charger as they can be quite sophisticated inside and I'm not going to risk the reader by saving a few pounds.

We each bought the Amazon cover. It seems quite expensive but is well made. Just closing it puts the display to sleep, but I'm doubtful if this is in fact any advantage since I thought that an e-ink display only uses power when it changes. With the cover closed you can't touch it anyway. But people probably expect it to be somehow better to put it to sleep. Unfortunately there isn't an elastic strap as there is on my KK cover. I find this useful to slip my hand through at the back when it's open which feels more secure against the risk of dropping.

Finally one thing which I'd recommend to any prospective Kindle family, not limited to any particular device. Use only one Amazon account if you each buy your own Kindle. That way if you buy a book anyone and everyone can read it at any time. After we figured this out we stopped using one account and re-registered that Kindle to the remaining account.

Overall, after all the picky details, a great e-book reader, very comfortable and easy to use and the best version so far. I started with a Sony Reader. The latest Kindle is on another planet. With 1.5 million books available, including a lot of free classics, I'm a fan. (Sorry if this sounds sycophantic but I have no connection with Amazon)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - surely the best ereader, 23 Nov 2012
I've tried the Nook and iPad but for pure reading pleasure neither come close to the Paperwhite. Bougt for an elderly parent with poor eyesight the Paperwhite has rekindled her delight in books and with the bright large fonts, easy page turning and no buttons to inadvertently press she just LOVES IT! No hesitation in recommending the Paperwhite to anyone considering buying an ereader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life made a little easier, 5 Nov 2012
K. Sowinski (UK) - See all my reviews
I am new to Kindle and I am not a tech expert so I will not indulge in a detailed review of its specs and features. It is all well covered by now anyway. I just wanted to say thanks to Amazon for making my reading experience better and helping me read more and with even greater pleasure. I didn't expect myself to choose reading on Kindle over a fine hardback but that's what has happened. I find the lit screen (I don't see how the unevenly lit bottom of the screen can take any pleasure away as some other reviewers suggest)helps me focus entirely on reading when I'm in bed at night and provides perfect reading experience everywhere I take it. It tells me how much time left till I finish the chapter so I end up reading more and plan it better. I love that it allows me to quickly highlight favorite passages and automatically copies them onto a 'Clippings' document with a brief description of their source. I find the built in dictionary a very handy feature which saves me time and adds quality to my reading. It is much smaller than the printed books I currently read and there is one more feature I absolutely love about it: Kindle doesn't close on table/desk while I'm holding coffee in one hand and a snack in the other. A simple thing that made my reading on the go a far better experience. Also, gone are the days when I had to choose which book to take with me on a day trip while travelling. I can now have a travel guide and two other books with me (all the books I normally take on holiday) everywhere I go without worrying about room in my bag or its weight. I cannot but give Kindle Paperwhite 5 stars for making my life this little bit easier.

Just one request to Amazon: Can you please include more foreign language positions in your offer? I am learning Russian as a foreign language and there is a rather slim selection of Russian titles in Russian. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paperwhite - awesome hardware but slightly disappointed ..?, 26 Oct 2012
Robert S. Watkins "Robert" (Windsor, Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have had a Kindle since the Ver 2 was released in the UK - what about 4 years ago now .. ? and I LOVE it!

The Ver 3 ( Kindle Keyboard) felt like a real step change both in technology and ergonomics and my KKB is my constant companion.

I have been gagging for a Paperwhite since I saw it on Amazon.Com and was delighted when the UK release was announced Mid-October.

I didn't spend the extra 60 for the 3G version. Who needs it when you can create your own hotspot from any phone these days ... Also 60 (more than 50% of the cost of the device) so you can buy books when you are on holiday seems a bit steep - and cheeky!

It arrived yesterday.

All the reviews talk about initial experiences so I won't repeat.

The touch screen is excellent - I tried the Kindle Touch and disliked the "prod force" it took to turn a page and overall it wasn't enough of a step change to warrant further investigation and investment. But the capacitance screen on the Paperwhite is brilliant. There is also a sweet texture on the screen as well - it feels a bit like paper - and provides nice tactile feedback.
The hardware is fantastic! Feels good, looks good, works good. Forget what people say about the light effect on the bottom of the screen. Overall the Paperwhite lighting solution is so much better than the collection of stupid clip on lights I have bought over the years! It really really works well with an even distribution of light across the entire screen. Also, the "spotlight problem" is only visible at full brightness. Why anyone needs that level of illumination (and indeed why Amazon saw fit to include it) is beyond me. The unlit screen is perfectly readable in any lighting that is suitable to read a "proper" book. Whatever THAT is ... :)

So what is the root cause of my disappointment? I can't put my finger on it but I think it's the software. The Ver 5 software doesn't feel as complete to me as Ver 3. I also find that trying to select the "Order by" functions on the Home screen often result in selecting the top book on the list.

The good news is that Software can be updated. Either that or Stockholm syndrome will make me forget how great the V3 software was.

This remains a fantastic piece of kit and I am proud to whip it out in the crowd of Apple-holics with whom I commute.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product- but the 3G is a complete waste of money, 4 May 2013
Great product - fantastic for reading books, but don't waste your money on 3G if you have wireless at home. Amazon used to have a browser, but the only sites that can now be accessed are Amazon and Wikepedia. Advise to get the non 3G version and download all books before leaving home.