4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to expectations. [SPOILER FREE]
First off I want to say I enjoyed the game, and I'm still playing it, but there are so many things about it that frustrated me.

Published 22 months ago by Samuel Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull and ...er dull!
What a shame. Turgid gameplay, tedious action, boring storyline. I have played and enjoyed all previous games in the Assassin's Creed franchise. This is the only one I have given up on, because it is totally boring.

No wonder they made the trailers look so good to lure us in. Don't waste your time and money on this one.
Published 19 months ago by Biffo

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to expectations. [SPOILER FREE], 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 - Join or Die Edition (PS3) (Video Game)

Join or Die Edition: What comes with this? In the box you get a medallion in a pouch, Washington's diary, an extra mission which is a side mission really, and some small multiplayer features, and a costume. None of them are vital to game and in all honesty i'm not sure why i bought this special edition. The diary is mildly interesting, and give some backstory to certain characters and Washington's life with some artwork. The medallion is...well it's a medallion not much to do with it really. Decoration? Anyway...

Bad points:

- The game isn't polished. This will be fixed in patches, but when I buy new game I expect it to be done! I experienced frame rate drops, graphics and resolution glitches, bugs in the environment and cutscenes where the character's won't be in sync with sound or their mouths won't move when they talk. Some of these aren't major but they're noticeable and take me out of the game a little.
- The story. Upon a first play through, I rushed through it rather fast, and it doesn't live up to previous AC stories. Some parts needed more explanation other final boss fights where underwhelming. Some missions, especially chase ones are extremely hard to get 100% sync on, which you need to unlock a costume and are more frustrating than fun. The worst part was definitely the ending. Massive disappointment. I think the story could have been longer and wrapped up some little loose ends or given up more choice- it was quite linear. You saw the epic trailers? You get to do none of that. The big battle sequences don't give you the freedom to approach how you like, you just sneak about the back, unlike how the trailer demonstrated. Other battles are reduced to point and shoot mechanics, which are rather dull. I did find the Desmond sequences quite fun, for once however. Connor, the main character however was boring and never got you emotionally invested in his story. You don't really like him as much as you should even though you try you never really connect with him. All in all it felt sub-par compared to Ezio's games. (Yes he had 3 games but even compared to the first one.

-The gameplay: In the previous games you recruited assassins by saving them. They could die on missions, but you could upgrade them and do small customisations. I liked that. Here they want you to feel more connected to your assassins so you have to do missions for them. It didn't really care much about them and it was a bit annoying to do so much just to get an assassin on your side. They can't die on missions which is good... I guess? But i use them a lot less than i did on previous games. Another part was the homestead, it's your home, and you have to do missions, which are enjoyable to get more people there and to be able to craft new things. But they took out the whole aspect of customising your home like you did in Ezio's games. Now you have this crafting system, which is good for certain things, like crafting an extra gun holster or weapon but apart from that completely useless. There's no real need for money in the in the game and you can do everything with what they give at the beginning because. There's also no more armour improvements. Getting money is harder as you don't get an hourly rate as you did before, but you have to send convoys which I haven't explored much but find a bit boring.

Side quests: As an assassin I expect to go around doing interesting side missions. There's some killing, but the assassination missions have been toned down to killing random soldiers, which is a bit underwhelming. And then there's mail man missions. I'm an assassin not postman pat! There's also brawler missions which are alright and collector missions which require you to hunt for furs or what not. There are frontiersman missions which are fun, but never lead to much.

Now the good points:

What I just said may have put you a bit off the game, but despite all of this I still enjoy it. The best thing they added was naval combat, it's great! They also have some side missions like the frontiersman ones and captain Kidd's treasure which are really fun. The new combat mechanics work really well and fighting is really fun with the new weapons they give you. The graphics are stunning and the world is massive. there aren't any massive beautiful cities and you spend less time on roofs, so the frontier is a nice change of pace, and the forest, though not perfect, does work rather well most of the time for free running. The prologue is really great and has an interesting twist. I think I had the most fun in the story when interacting with the character from the prologue. There were parts like these when I really enjoyed the story. It's a very immersive game, with the weather, the environment...really great whatever you do. Playing as Desmond was fun and there are a few easter eggs for readers of the comic books. I'm not a great fan of multiplayer but they've improved it and added new features. One downside to it is the online store where you pay real money to get credits to upgrade your character. Not necessary but faster. Apart from that it's great.

It's still an amazing game, a must play for any Assassins Creed fan. I'm not sure I would recommend it to a newcomer, as I still feel this game was a bit of a let down, and I would recommend Ezio's trilogy instead. Maybe my expectations were to high, but I felt they could have done more. There's not much incentive to do side missions or to craft and hunt or use the economic system in general. If you're on the fence about this game, it is worth paying for if you're a fan, but as a newcomer, you might want to borrow it off a friend.

So why am I giving 4 stars? Actually i'd give it 7.5/10 or 3.5 stars, but 4 stars is the closest it's gonna get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth the extra money, 4 Nov 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The game is very good, awesome multiplayer and customization but the book you get is hard to read because the writing is old fashion and it takes twice as long as normal writing to read and the coin isn't that great.

4.0 out of 5 stars "how d'ya like them apples!", 21 Oct 2013
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is the 5th AC game.

You start off in good old England, or London to be precise, as Haytham Kenway and you are to attend a theatre play called the Beggar's Opera (which is a political comedy) in order to assassinate a friend.

You will play as this character for 3 full chapters and they can be some of the most soul destroying, will draining, slow chapters ... and yet they are in a way better than what follows. At the end of the first run though of chapter 3 you will get a trophy and you will understand the title of this review.

When you hit chapter 4 you finally meet Connor - first as a child, then in his teens, and then his twenties (though he does not age well - I thought he'd jumped to 40-something but everyone still refers to him as "boy").

From then on you have to put up with Connor, and Connor makes Desmond look like the most interesting character you've met - until you remember Ezio and then wonder why they couldn't have given Connor a personality. Connor has no emotionality to him at all (most of the time he comes over quite sulky) - whether that was deliberate or just bad voice acting by Noah Watts. Every line is delivered as if the actor was bored. I really did miss Roger Craig Smith's talent.

With animation of any sort you need the characterisation to come through the voice acting in order to make a connection with the characters, and in this case it failed for me.

I love the Assassin's Creed games and I was really looking forward to this one - it was one of the few games of 2012 that I bothered to pre-order - and yet ...

The game is definitely cut scene heavy, in fact the multiple load points and cut scenes in each mission become invasive and irritating breaking the run of the game over and over again.

Ubisoft made such a big fuss about the fact that they were using a new gaming engine and all the wonderful new things that will be available to the player of the Assassin's Creed III game that my hopes were built all. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations. To be truthful I was quite disappointed by the resulting gameplay. Much of it seemed to be taking steps backwards to the play of the original Assassin's Creed game - such as having to run across country to one of the city destinations (from the Homestead to Boston or New York) - this was something which I thought I had been removed with the advent of quick travel stations.

Even running around the towns is a boring thing. Surely Boston and New York couldn't have been such boring places. Yes, you can run along the tops of buildings and from branch to branch but only for a very short distance and then you will find yourself on the ground again.

There are a couple of houses that you can run through but once entered you have no control over the actions of your avatar, you are simply on a set move predesigned to make the trailer look good, but it really adds nothing to the game play and I discovered a bug on exiting the room run through when I wanted the avatar to in one direction and he will go the opposite.

I loved collecting my "brotherhood" in ACB - picking and choosing who I wanted. This choice was reduced in ACR when a lot of choice was removed. Here there is no choice you have to have the characters that the game provides and you have to complete their individual (and multiple) demands in order to get them to join you.

Assassin's Creed has been synonymous with freedom of choice in game play and that aspect which made the game play so great is now being removed - or at least that's what it feels like.

Many of the side missions (races, etc) have gone completely and I did like those because they provided a break from the story game play. Instead we have "find the feather/page/trinket" tasks and sailing ship battles to contend with. The sea battles can be annoying and fun at the same time. With some of the requirements for full points being lost in the first moments of the battle it will require a restart to get full synchronisation.

Restarts aren't too bad in AC3 as they don't send you right back to the beginning if you "fail" towards the end of your mission. You will only go back to the last save point.

Synchronisation can be an issue if you miss the requirements message. In previous games if you pressed "start" you would be able to see any extra requirements for full synchronisation - in this game I have yet to find such a screen but if you pause and then resume the game they are sometimes flashed on the screen again.

The use of "eagle vision" seems to be falling by the wayside - it is hardly used and even when it is used it seems to be a second or third thought by the makers and in most cases doesn't need to be used.

There is an additional option of hunting animals for food, pelts, teeth, oils, etc, and though it is a way of passing the time when you are bored of running though the countryside and there are monetary and points rewards it can also become boring after a time. You can only carry 10 units of "bait" and this can be quickly used up so you will have to visit a shop or travelling merchant to restock - and getting there requires you to run/ride across the countryside and breaking up that monotonous cross country travelling was a reason that I decided to stop and hunt in the first place.

Rather than the DNA strand that the previous games worked on here you have a half-ring of information.

One thing I have to question is the makers decision to call the character "Connor" - don't get me wrong I like the name it's just when he is "given" the name by Achilles it is because he can pass for a Spaniard and I can't see "Connor" as a Spanish name in the 1770s.

The changes to fighting make things interesting, as do the new hiding places and I do like to be able to sneak around in the tall weeds (though I did wonder how the guards could miss me) and, yes, the hunting was a fun break for a while. The story continues well and comes to a cliff-hanger end. Even Desmond is more interesting (but that could be because Connor is so dull).

Yet, sadly, this is my least played game in the AC series.

I have, in the last 12 months since this was launched played AC2, ACB and ACR, in succession several times, but it is only in the last month that I have played this one again - and that will make the 3rd time since it arrived that I have played it.

The game play isn't as intuitive as with the other games but it is easy to get used to and the game was enjoyable but it is the character of Connor that seems to pull the so much of the life from the game. I just hope that AC Black Flag is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say? I'm an AC fan, 8 Aug 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I own every other Assassin's Creed games and I've completed them 100%, all trophies, all collectables, all Sync missions. EVERYTHING. Why? Because I like to do it.

I saw some people weren't pleased with the collectors edition of the game. I don't know about them but everytime someone comes into my room and they see my Collectors edition display or my game library(proud!) and they look at this big ass coin they are blown away! I also enjoyed reading the diary of Washington.

The game itself is good, it was some twists I didn't see, the ending is once again rought. We know they will milk the franchise, we know they will release another game, but come on explain somethings.

I would recommend it to people who want to check this new Assassin instead of Ezio the Assassin we loved and we miss.
5/5

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull and ...er dull!, 13 Mar 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game shame about the extra missions, 20 Jun 2014
I love assassins creed but have not bee playing comport games for a while I was a few games behind. The game itself is fantastic however the extra download able missions don't work as the voucher has expired, so I will have to purchase them again....m

5.0 out of 5 stars Ubisoft have become my favourite game developer, 23 Jun 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After an, admittedly, required change of scenes from that of Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed III brings us to America during it's revolution of the late 18th century. Connor, although a slighty less supercillious character than his predecessor, is relatable and an interesting character nonetheless.

The story will grip you, as with myself, into wanting to read up about this specific period of time, and the side missions and other quests included with the Join Or Die Edition will keep you interested all the way through. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with this masterpiece, and I would challenge anybody to find a good reason why they shouldn't themselves. Just wonderful. I was sceptical about the fairly efficient release between Revelations and this game, however it seems that Ubisoft has outdone themselves, again. Such a fun game that it will even have you coming back just to roam around the historically satisfying landscapes of New York, and the Davenport Homestead of 1776.

If you're a fan of the series, then you'll need no reason to buy this game, however if you're new then there's no reason why you can't start with this game - but to really get into the, in my opinion, finest part of the franchise (the storyline) I would recommend starting with Assassin's Creed II or possibly even the less rated original member of the series starring Altair. Do not hesitate to purchase any version of this game, if anything to benefit the truly consumer captivating publisher and developer that is Ubisoft.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down!, 8 May 2013
Being a huge fan of all the previous series, i think than AC3 has nothing to do with the previous games.

Storyline
Ezio was a rebel against the templars because his family has been killed by them. I would say that Connor is rather boring as a character and nothing draws the gamer's attention to this guy.

Also, after the Holy Land and the renaissance Italy, the place they picked is America? Seriously?!? They could have gone to France, or China, or Egypt or so many beautiful places and make it a marvellous game. I really don't know what led them there.

Definitely better graphics, not awesome whatsoever, but there are things that are utterly annoying. 1.RIDICULOUS 5 hour tutorial in the beginning! Makes no sense. 2.Side missions are sooooo boring.

They say they prepare a sequel for that game, but PLEASE Ubisoft don't make that mistake again. So many people disappointed by Ubisoft for AC3, while the previous titles where great.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Friend Loved it, 8 May 2013
I pre ordered this game for a friend for her birthday. It came exactly when I wanted it to (when she came to my house). it was in perfect condition and everything was in order.
The game is fantastic. Would recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Geat pressie, 30 Nov 2012
My son every happy with this purchase,cannot stop going on about playability, fantastic visual and great story, good buy, delivered on time also

Assassin's Creed 3 - Join or Die Edition (PS3)
Used & New from: £5.40