5.0 out of 5 stars The Phantom is Unmasked!
Published on 16 April 2012 by Mr. Raymond J. Chilton

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I love Johns voice but this album disappointed it was almost as if someone had told him to reign back on the big vocals I felt there was so much there but it was reaching my ears..
Published 14 months ago by Sharpi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Phantom is Unmasked!, 16 April 2012
Mr. Raymond J. Chilton (Croydon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
The best voice that has enchanted London's West End and all the major cities in Wales and the UK has created a glorious collection of songs. This lovingly recorded CD will keep on amazing song after song. It is impossible to select a favourite. "All I Ask of You" with Natsha Marsh is the best version of this song you will ever hear. "Down to the Sea" will raise the goose pimples but, the very best for me, at this time, is "Without You" is shows the pure versitility of Johns voice. However, I don't know what it will be after the next listen! Oh....don't stop listening until the very end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of 10 stars!, 16 April 2012
Ms S. Cartwright "Sue Cartwright" (Stourbridge, West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
This morning,on hearing this cd for the first time, I actually shed a tear whilst eating my porridge. John doesn't just sing, he performs each song as though he were performing it on stage. His incredbible acting talent is very evident on this cd.

His voice has so much depth, one moment portraying anger and frustration and the next tenderness. It is a talent which only a small number of artists possess.

The orchestrations are excellent, simple accoustic guitars on Love of My Life and Hallelujah to the tumultous sounds in Thunderball.

There is not a bad track on this album by one of Britain's greatest performers and if I could only possess one cd, this would be the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pitch, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
I first "discovered" John Owen-Jones when I saw him during the 25th anniversary production of Phantom of the Opera. Living in the US, I've not been acquainted with many of the West End's favorites so was taken by surprise when I heard him singing during the post finale portion of the production. I immediately looked him up and found a lot about him and of course many YouTube videos. When I found out he was coming out with a new album I put it on my "list to purchase" right away.

I was finally able to download it last week and it didn't disappoint in the least and in fact I'm so smitten with the songs and the arrangements, I haven't quit listening to it. Probably the biggest surprise was "Thunderball" as I was around when that first came out in the movie by the same name. John does a fabulous version of it and I'm certain Tom Jones would agree. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the first time some people had even heard it.

"Somewhere" and "Hallelujah" are my favorites of the moment primarily because they were unexpected, but all of the selections are pure genius. You can feel the emotion behind each and every lyric which is certainly due to John's acting ability. He performed an album rather than recorded a bunch of songs for an album.

This is really a musical treat that everyone will enjoy. In fact, my 6 year old nephew listened to it in the car with me and asked to hear it again. He said "the songs sound nice". Go figure.

Anyway, if you haven't purchased the CD yet, go ahead and take the plunge. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 16 April 2012
Sam Jones (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unmasked (MP3 Download)
I came to find John Owen Jones through being a fan of Natasha Marsh. What a fantastic voice he has! Great album with a good variety of wonderful songs. My favourite has to be the moving and powerful 'All I ask of you' which is quite simply the best rendition I have ever heard! Brings tears to my eyes every time I listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible from the first to the last note!, 24 April 2012
Wolke - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
John Owen-Jones is one of the greatest singers these days. His performances as the Phantom are legendary and with this CD he tried to capture his musical and acting talent on a piece anyone can keep at home to listen to it over and over again. With songs like "Til I hear you sing", "All I ask of you" and "Without you" he shows how brilliant and powerful his voice really is.

If you have ever seen him live on stage you can imagine his acting performance while listening to each and every note.

From the music to the design of the album it is a brilliant piece of work everyone should own!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST BUY Album, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
From this album you can feel the real Welsh Man behind his mask.
He put efforts making this album graet & wonderful!
The track sequence arrangement, the design of the CD...
All so down to earth. You'll fall in love with his voice.

Life without music is nothing

And there's a secret track hidden in Track 14 Hallelujah!
(CD Version only, not for the D/L version)
Jump to 18:00 when Hallelujah ends at 06:00
The hidden track is a Welsh Folk "Eli Jenkins Prayer".
This is an ACAPPELLA :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master at Work, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
John Owen Jones is the voice of a generation - there simply isn't anybody better. This album is a more eclectic mix than his previous offering, ranging as it does from his familiar Musical Theatre stylings to the beautifully-crafted "Nature Boy" and his powerful (tongue in cheek?) homage to Tom Jones on "Thunderball". For me, the album's centrepieces are a beautifully-woven duet with Bryn Terfel on "I Don't Remember You / Sometimes A Day Goes By", and a performance of "'Til I Hear You Sing" that will raise hairs on the back of the neck of anyone who saw him sing it on the Three Phantoms tour. An absolute must for anyone who loves a big voice that isn't afraid to step up to bat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Voice, 7 Jun 2012
B. Unwin "Bev" (Pontefract, W Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
Came across John Owen Jones during the tour of Les Miserables 25 Anniversary, we saw him in Manchester. I hadn't heard a voice this good for a long time, bought the first EP and then the first CD - loved it and now have bought Unmasked - love the song choices, my favourite is Till I Hear You Sing. Looking forward to seeing him in 25th Anniversary Tour of Phantom.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-have, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
If you are considering this, just buy it and listen to his powerful, expressive voice - you will not regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: Unmasked (Audio CD)
This was such a great cd! I bought it on impulse because I have loved him as Phantom/Jean Valjean, and love his other cd, but this was great! Although I am always glad to hear his gorgeous voice, I was pleasantly surprised by his choice of songs - there were some really great ones, and his version of "Thunderball" is AMAZING!!! So BUY IT if you like JOJ or just love great music ;)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›