5.0 out of 5 stars For this price, nothing comes close
Published on 14 Sep 2012 by T. W. Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but some pretty big flaws
OK, so I never write reviews at all, however on this occasion I feel compelled to.

First off this is a great TV - picture quality is awesome and build quality is typical Panasonic.

Sound is so-so... good depth but lacking clarity. I have this on the wall in one room and in the next room I have an LG 47 inch, also on the wall. I stream HD TV...
Published on 2 Dec 2012 by Stuartm78

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For this price, nothing comes close, 14 Sep 2012
T. W. Marshall (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I paid £750 for this TV and am very pleased with it, I done a lot of research before buying and there is nothing that comes close to my needs for this price. If you're looking for a 3D experience with wireless smart connection up your budget to £850-900 as this is what the Dongle and 2 pairs of 3D glasses will cost you. Please be aware that it appears that only official Panasonic products will work with their 2012 TV sets. The TV can also auto convert all 2D images to 3D, these are done very well and I've yet to see a bad conversion.

I've had this TV for 2 weeks now and have used it with varying appliances, it's a beautiful product and sits well in my living room.

SD SKY - The TV auto up scales all SD sources and together with the 2500Hz Focus Field Drive creates quite simply the best SD image I've seen on a 1080p screen, even on channels with questionable quality, like CBS look pretty good. Default colour settings are vivid and blacks are very deep. If you have a film on a pen drive you can just plug and play using the TVs USB connections, again the picture quality is very good, better than on my laptop.

Gaming - I have a PS3, 360 and Wii connected. The PS3 and 360 are connected via the TVs 2 HDMI connections (Only 2 ??? !!!) image quality is breathtaking, on connecting them they both auto detected the screen size and settings. 3D gaming is very good, lots of depth and scope, good colours and smooth motions. Online gaming is very good as the TV has a very low response time of around 15ms, compared to the likes of LG TVs (50-60ms) and Toshiba TVs (up to 120ms) this is the online gaming display of choice, anything over 35ms can begin to affect online play, especially on games like Modern Warfare 3. The Wii is connected via a scart cable, on my 3 year old Sony LCD my Wii looked awful and blocky. On this Panasonic it's smooth, probably the best monitor I've seen a Wii running on. The only real problem is where to put the motion sensor, the top edge of the TV is too thin to lay it on.

Blu-Ray - Again the HD quality is very good, deep blacks, vivid colours and smooth motion, and on a 50 inch display are imposing

The only real issue I have with the TV is the low number of connection ports and the reflective screen. The screen isn't too bad but if you shift the focus of your eyes you can make objects out clearly on the glass.

For £750 nothing else comes anywhere near this set.

I've given this set 5/5 mainly because of the quality for the price, if this were a £1500 set I'd expect a lot more, such as built in wi-fi, glasses included, more connections and a less reflective glass. But for the 3rd time, nothing comes close for £750.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic!, 16 July 2012
A year ago I bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma, but almost immediately regretted that I hadn't bought the 3D model instead. The 'standard' tv was absolutely fantastic, so I didn't have any problems with it whatsoever, but being a gadget geek, I realized that I should have gone for 3D.

Because of my experience with the previous Panasonic model, my decision to finally go 3D with them wasn't difficult.
They do seem to manufacture beautiful televisions (if a tv can be described as being beautiful). Very well made and with fantastic picture quality. The only negative about my previous model was audio. In that instance it would seem that Panasonic had put a great deal of effort into producing amazing picture quality, but hadn't really bothered too much about sound.

About a week ago I decided to buy the PANASONIC TX-P50UT50B 3D PLASMA TV and I'm so glad I did.
Having said that, I only installed it yesterday afternoon, so I'm unable to give a detailed review at the present time. As with my previous tv, the picture quality is still fantastic. Pin sharp HD with beautiful, rich colors. Audio on this model isn't amazing, but it's more than adequate and much better than that on my previous model.
Not particularly taxing to install and set up, I had it switched on in no time.
Being a 3D tv, it was that that I wanted to test more than anything else, so, using a Blu-Ray called "Ocean Circus 3D", I sat down hoping to be blown away.
I should just mention that any 2011/2012 'active' 3D glasses can be used with this tv, not those by Panasonic exclusively, so I used some cheaper ones manufactured by Samsung. So far, they would seem to be absolutely perfect.
The 3D was amazing and I was blown away. "Ocean Circus 3D" (as you would expect) shows various underwater locations around the planet and watching it in 3D was like being there. As the camera moved across wrecks and reefs, you could almost reach out and touch them, while fishes swam around you. Totally immersive. As my first 'proper' home 3D experience I was very, very impressed.

A feature of this tv and one of the main reasons why I decided to purchase it in the first place, is that you can 'convert' 2D images into 3D. As of writing, I'm not aware of this with any other models, so I was curious as to how well it would actually work.
As most people will know "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" isn't yet available as a 3D movie, so this was my first test subject.
Because films such as "Avatar" and "Tron Legacy" were always conceived as being 3D, they look different to films like "Star Wars", "Jaws" etc, so watching "A New Hope" isn't going to be the same experience. Having said that, from my test, I have to say that I was once again very, very impressed. Watching any Star Wars in 3D is a fantastic experience.
A big plus point about this function is that it means you don't have to buy the more expensive 3D discs. For example, later on today, I'm going to test it with the 2D Blu-Ray of "Green Lantern".

A minor gripe about this tv, and maybe it's a Panasonic thing, because my last model had the same 'problem', is the high reflectivity of the screen. Having said that, you wouldn't go a cinema and watch a movie with the lights on, so, to enjoy this set properly, it is best to view in a darkened room. For normal tv programs it's not such a big deal and you tend to ignore it as best you can.

For the price, this is a very impressive tv so far and over the next few days I will be testing it and tweaking it, but I'm not expecting to be disappointed.

UPDATE!

Since posting this review yesterday, I have tested a few more 2D Blu-Ray discs, using the 2D to 3D converter.
The 1980 "Flash Gordon", "Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert" and BBC's "Yellowstone". I'm pleased to report that all were amazing to watch. The conversion does a fantastic job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, 18 Feb 2013
Mr. D. Leather "Throttle" (Uk, Leigh) - See all my reviews
I spent some time looking around for a replacement for my Sony 40V3000 TV which had developed the screen bleed problem, After loads of looking about i went looking at various models of Plasma after in the past owning all TV tech there is out deciding id return too Plasma as i thought it gave the best quality for there price.
I browsed various sites and shopped around looking at all brands before finally deciding on the Panasonic TX-P50UT50B from John Lewis who supplied a free 5 year warranty and also matched Tesco price at the time of £575 :-) i fitted the TV on a wall mount which has the TV about 5 ft from my living room window which i don't find a problem how people go on about reflections maybe its the fact its wall mounted and sat a few ft higher than eye viewing level ?

The TV out of the box i wasn't 100% sure about the picture at all too start with as the settings was far out on my final preferences but once i spent loads time keeping adjusting them i finally really like the TV the picture is excellent really standing out when using HD content far better than my previous Sony did before problems occurred with it, The Smart features work very well with apps such as BBC iPlayer working in HD looked and it run very well though i thought the actual design and style of the Smart TV menus needed some update as it just looked a little basic and in need of some more style in my opinion.
There's the current TV program in the centre and 8 apps around that ( there are more apps to choose from on different screens )

The TV also has support for SD and USB memory sticks which support media format and work no problems from what i tried out on it, I used AVI, MP4 and MKV all which run fine and ive yet too try anything that isn't supported.
I just wish Panasonic would hurry up with the free 2 pairs of 3D Glasses that i applied for 33 days ago now ! :-(
Anyhow its a great TV once you get your settings adjusted too your preference, great for HD content, Gaming and Movies i wouldn't hesitate too buy one again if anything happened too mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done Panasonic!, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Panasonic TX-P42UT50B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Plasma with Freeview HD and Smart VIERA - Black (New for 2012) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
So I have been looking at 3D TV's for a little while now and was unsure whether to bite the bullet and buy one. Having taken a trip down to Comet and experiencing the 3D for myself I felt compelled to get one. I soon came accross this TV it seemed to tick all the boxes so I went for it.

When the TV arrived all was fine - then I set it up.... A loud buzzing noise pertruding from both sides of the back of the TV which was easily audible over the TV so I sent it back. The following day the replacement arrived which was great - until I unboxed it to find the left hand side of the screen was cracked and completely un-usable. As you can imagine I was on the phone to amazon arranging for another replacement. The new TV arrived today and well.... so far so good. There is a small buzzing noise in the background but I believe this is perfectly common and normal for Plasma TV's so I am not to worried about this. The bevell edge on the bottom of the TV looks as if little bits of the silver coating are missing but its only a small niggle - after going through 3 TV's I really dont want the hassle of getting another one.

Having said this - Hats off to Amazon. Everyone I spoke to was brilliant and were more than willing to help me out. Return postage via yodel was free and picked up from my doorstep and the replacements were sent out via Expedited with no extra charge. (I paid for expedited delivery with the original purchase).

With this out of the way I have to say the TV itself is absolutely brilliant for the price. I find the 3D is more than adequate, the HD channels look fantastic and so do the SD ones. The remote is responsive and there are plenty of options to play around with to set the picture up the way you like it. The TV handles games and Blu-Rays (3D and Standard) very well.

With regards to the TV the only downside I can think of is that the screen is fairly reflective - Not a problem for me but something to consider if the TV is used in a room where there is a lot of direct sunlight.

Overall a great TV and for the price its outstanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 16 Aug 2013
What can I say. I can't really add anything more to what is said below.

The downside is my teenage son's friends spend most of their time camped in my lounge watching it or playing Xbox on it.

This TV is simply superb. Cannot find one thing to criticize it on.

Go buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuff Said, 27 Feb 2013
So refreshing to read reviews written by converts from the appalling LED. There is simply no comparison with Plasma for natural motion, colour, contrast etc, and no one does Plasma like Panasonic. Astonishing TV, and frankly, I would never buy any other make of television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic 50 inch Plasma 3D TV, 8 Feb 2013
T. Crossley "Tom" (Chesterfield) - See all my reviews
I have had a lesser known model high definition television, but was startled at the clarity of the Panasonic clarity. I had read of course about the 'black', but until you actually see it in full high definition glory you do not realise just how black it is, and that all before it was very much dark grey. So the end of LCD televisions for me.

As with it seems everyone else I noticed the mirror effect, but solved this to quite a degree by moving things around so that there was no definite glare on the surface. Once the television is on, the mirror effect is not noticed.

This is FULL high definition of 1920 x 1080, and not the 720 that some manufacturers state are full HD but are certainly not. The picture is absolutely superb in HD, and even the non HD only TV programmes I record look very good indeed.

I have no use for the internet connection - my PC does all that! I have had to purchase a cheap pair of 3D gasses (half Panasonic price), and the 3D content was better than I expected. I don't know if the proper Panasonic glasses will be any better, but exactly four weeks after ordering them I am still waiting! I have received a email from Panasonic who tell me their literature states 'up to 40 days to deliver'. In this day and age this is just not good enough.

Afraid though a very regular Amazon customer, John Lewis had a special deal at £600 - £100 less than the Amazon offers, AND a five years guarantee. Guess what?

Tom Crossley

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 27 July 2012
Just finished university and moving into a new place.
Me and my partner needed a new TV!

So i went looking for new TV, spending days researching the different technologies / TVs and is boils down to this:
Plasma is the way forward, and Panasonic generally make the best plasmas. Now there's a lot more to it than that, and there are always exceptions. But for the money (i bought it at £509 from another well-known retailer) you will not find a better picture / motion response than this. Please note that this is also True HD at 1080p, with 3D and the latest 2012 tech - Just an unbelievable TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinematic wonder, 23 Nov 2012
Yes the TV is highly reflective but if, like me, you only watch it at night/can easily control the light levels in the room then I'd struggle to see how anyone could be disappointed. Picture quality is immense.

The TV does make a light buzzing sound at times but it isn't particularly noticeable and doesn't detract from my overall impression of the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great telly, 28 April 2013
Quite simply the best tv I have ever owned -especially like watching Internet content including YouTube . Only bad point there are only 2 HDMI ports but its only a minor one

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›