Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 June 2012
I must admit my heart sank a little when I heard that Jeff Lynne had produced this album; as while I love ELO and the Travelling Wilburys, I don't need Joe Walsh to sound like either of them - and he does have a fairly signature production style. I really needn't have worried though. Apart from the wilfully Wilburyish but still wonderful 'One Day At A Time', which takes a wry look at Joe's past relationship with assorted substances, what really shines though this album is the signature wit and gently rocking talent of Mr Walsh himself.

There genuinely isn't a bad track on here, from the nostalgia-driven opener all the way through to the exotic Instrumental 'India' at the end. And in between, you get to enjoy Joe's whimsical take on the last 20 years of his life, featuring the great guitar work that is his trademark, together with the superb lyrics and soulful vocals for which he's less well-known. I can honestly say that this won't be leaving the CD changer in my car the whole Summer long.
on 23 June 2012
I only heard this was coming out via Hmv ads and having virtually all his albums from James Gang to date I could not wait to hear it. This time round I decided to preview Itunes instead of blindly buying. Most of the output since " folks " had the odd cracker here and there. The "confessor song " is right up there with the best but I felt that these latter albums for the most part were forgetable. Anyway back on track having listened to the samples I was blown away. I wanted to buy the CD but could not wait so bought through I tunes. Been listening to it for 3 hours steady. The song " india" ... has a thunderstruck AC Dc esque intro and merges into typical Walsh at his very best. The intro to "analogue" is so Walsh a castaway on desert island for 30 years would spot it immediately. The Jeff Lynne input is evident and perhaps in some tracks maybe massaged Joe rasping chord playing too much but that's nit picking. This is a fabulous piece of work right up there with seventies best. I loved the early stuff then still do but i was thirty years younger then as well so do i expect a poor rehash of old stuff NO ! he's changed he's older so have I. This is a modern sounding collection that harnesses the power of the early days , the eagle's influence and blends it all into something brilliant and contempory. The man sounds happy and this has a feel good output . I don't expect him to sound exactly like he did in 75 but what I want is some semblance of the talent he had then and let me say THIS DELIVERS BIG TIME!!!!
on 13 June 2012
Oh Im so pleased to get my copy of this new Joe Walsh album it sure has been a very long time indeed, and with a fanfare of trumpets ...its a dam good album, I have liked this man,s work since his time in the James gang and to me he has never let me down. all his solo albums have been so clever with has knack of writing about his every day observations tounge in cheek or serious he always makes it seem so easy , just like his guitar playing hard to copy but oozes out of every pour. this new work proudly sits together with his full catalouge .the very first time I heard it there was a big smile on my face. my old mate Joe had come home bearing gifts. well done to everybody involved in this its great and I love it. If there is ever another solo album keep Jeff lynne away!!
Analog Man is Joe Walsh's first solo album in 20 years and it sounds as though he's never been away. Produced by the ELO stalwart, Jeff Lynne, it is a glorious, hook laden affair drenched with Walsh's infectious guitar riffs and instantly recalling his 1978 classic "But Seriously, Folks".

There is some shining stuff here: the arena rock sound of "One Day At A Time", the rhythmic, latin inflected "Spanish Dancer", the gentle reflective "Lucky That Way" and the gutsy "Analog Man" recalling the entry of a 64 year old into the digital world. You cannot fail to be ignited by "Wrecking Ball", "Family" is a haunting piano led ballad offering thanks for his new found family life while "India" is a funky jazz rock instrumental that is a reminder of just how inventive Walsh is - it's brilliant and timeless.

Supported by ageing luminaries such as David Crosby, Ringo Starr, Graham Nash and Little Richard it would be easy to dismiss this album as the swansong of an old fogey surrounded by other old fogies. But Jeff Lynne's tight production propels this album headlong into the 21st Century, Joe Walsh's voice has rarely sounded better and his trademark guitar is as rousing as ever.

Is this a fitting coda to the work of a rock legend? I hope not because on this evidence there is a lot more for Joe Walsh to say and play. Classic sounds like these will always have a place in the rock pantheon.
on 18 June 2012
Without doubt Joe is my favourite Eagle. He is the one who doesn't take himself too seriously and comes up with some classic lines. This album is exceptional. Full of memorable melodies and packed with humour and joy. Add to this his amazing guitar playing, his superb vocal performance and the exceptional contribution of Jeff Lynne and you have a classic piece of work. How anyone can only give this one star is truly beyond me. And worth a mention is the bonus DVD. Three great live performances and an amusing insightful interview. He says 'One of the most terrifying things that ever happened to me was when Keith Moon decided he liked me'. He should have included this line in one of his songs but I won't hold that against him.5 BIG stars Joe. Well done.
on 12 June 2012
Every few months I've looked to see if he's brought another one out. It pays off, even after 20 years waiting. Mostly you get terrible surprises from your hero's, but not from Joe. I hoped it might have gone back to 'Smoker' and sure enough it includes Kenny Passarelli on bass and Joe Vitali on keyboards. The surprises are Ringo Starr, Crosby and Nash, and not a small input from Jeff Lynne. It really is very good and I'm going to put it on again, now.
Many thanks Joe, you've made an old git very happy. Don't wait so long next time. A lot of us might not be around !
on 24 July 2013
Why on earth do people still allow Jeff Lynne to produce their albums? The muffled, plodding production; drums that don't swing, unremarkable bass - all these factors make the tracks that Lynne is directly involved with the weakest on the album. Otherwise, it's vintage Walsh, the nasty vocal, wonderful slide, with some welcome guest appearences by Crosby & Nash, Joe Vitale, Gerg Leisz and even Ringo Starr. 6 tracks out of 10, then ...
on 13 June 2012
Possibly Joe Walsh's best album to date?
Joe takes us back to the analog era when LP's were 35 to 40 minutes long, here we have 10 songs in just over 36 minutes, but don't worry a lot of groups nowadays release over long CDs full of crap.

This in my opinion is Joe's best all round album since "But Seriously Folks", "Lucky that way" takes up where "Life's been Good" left off And long term fans will hear many references on this CD to other songs from his career. The instrumental "India" starts with a riff not unlike AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" and must cram in all of Joe's best licks & riffs from the past 40 years into just three minutes, and we even have a "Funk #50" a follow on to the James Gang tracks of that ilk.

If you are looking to hear something new and groud breaking , then don't look here, but if you want to hear a heartwarming laid back rock groove then this is a great CD.
I've been a fan for 40 years now, and this CD did not disappoint.
on 14 June 2012
OK so I am a lifelong fan of Joe Walsh, so I was always going to buy his new album. But just gotta say how happy I am with the great songs and great performances on the record. He's had a few ups and downs but IMHO has always stayed true to the music. In today's reality TV platic pop maelstrom it is sooooo good to find a gem like this!
on 24 December 2012
up to date lyrics-autobiographical-enjoyable words.
3 copies sent to family and friends for xmas
high class guitar work and melodies,quite simply what joe is all about
he's a hero-me still a big fan.