Back In Country Style
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£6.49

These lovely sisters were raised in Oklahoma, although they became successful after moving to Chicago, where most of their music was pop/jazz with a country flavor.
Towards the end of their recording career in the early fifties, they recorded a lot of country material, but with a pop/jazz flavor. It is this music that forms the basis of this CD (24 of the 26 tracks). The other two songs were recorded in the forties.
Several of the songs are easily recognizable, including Turn your radio on, Farther along, San Antonio rose and some of the cowboy songs. Gospel Cannonball is actually Wabash Cannonball with amended lyrics.
Trail of the lonesome pine is interesting. I'd only heard the Laurel and Hardy version before I bought this. I like their version, but it's nice to hear a serious version of the song.
One obvious omission is Oklahoma hills, which can be found on the Collector's choice compilation, but never mind - this is an outstanding collection which merely hints at what might have been if the ladies had stayed in Oklahoma. Actually, they may not have succeeded in country at the time - it was a male preserve back then. Perhaps that's why they moved to Chicago.
Amazon have not supplied a track listing, so here it is.
1 Turn your radio on
23 The trail of the lonesome pine
24 When the bloom is on the sage
25 No letter today
26 Till we meet again
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again