5.0 out of 5 stars Weaning

3.0 out of 5 stars quite useful for first time mums, but routine is too rigid
Published on 25 Feb. 2009 by H. Kala

5.0 out of 5 stars Weaning, 17 Dec. 2002
By A Customer
As a first time mum I had only really got to grips with feeding my baby milk when people started talking about weaning. Anxious to get it right as my baby had always been a fussy eater, I bought every book on the subject and attended a 'weaning party' at my local health centre. Advice varied greatly so I decided to follow this book as it seemed very clear and it gives you a day by day plan to follow. This is especially helpful to get you started. I also found the information on when to introduce each type of food very useful and my baby is now enjoying a wide range of fruit and vegetables. I feel confident about when to try something new and am really enjoying my baby experiencing different foods. However, I have found that he eats more than is suggested in the book for his age as he is a big baby, so don't be frightened to give more or less as Gina suggests. I really like the plan as you give the milk directly followed by solids unlike other plans which suggest mid morning milk then lunch. I found the latter very restricting as it means you end up feeding more often. This is an excellent book and it has made weaning fun rather than stressful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide but adapt it to suit your child, 5 Jan. 2009
K. Flower "Phoebe's mum" (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning

I was not that impressed with the original CLB book but decided to give Gina another chance so bought this one when I was looking to start my daughter on solids and found it MUCH better. If, like me, you are after a complete step by step guide to weaning and want to know what to give, when, and how much then this is the book for you. However, I would say that, as with CLB, you need to have the confidence to recognise that she doesn't know it all and adapt the advice to suit you and your child. If you want to try banana early on then ignore Gina and go for it! As with CLB, there are places where the book is unrealistic and OTT (washing veg in filtered water, implying you are a bad parent if you give your child commercial food etc) and, as with CLB, the inconsistencies let the book down (eg different minimum milk requirements for the same age in different chapters). My only other gripe is that many of the recipes are unsuitable for freezing and how many people are able to cook everything fresh every day?? However, if you can overlook these issues then it is a useful book.

3.0 out of 5 stars quite useful for first time mums, but routine is too rigid, 25 Feb. 2009
H. Kala - See all my reviews
Being a first time mum i wanted something which would help me decide what to give the baby at what age and at what time of the day. this book did serve that purpose, it helped me pass the first stage weaning process quite smoothly , the tips were quite good as well as the recipes. the only thing i wasnt very happy about was the whole strict routine method, as i think all babies are different and all babies need some kind of flexibility .. but then i ignored that part and concentrated on what kind of food should be given at what age and at what time of the day, also how fast or slow should we proceed with the weaning process. so overall its a good reference guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Straightforward Guide to Weaning, 10 July 2007
R. Bell (Goole, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This book is a very easy to read, straightforward guide to weaning your baby. Although I have not weaned yet, the time is coming soon and I will be ready to know what to do with the help of this book. It is helpful to those following ginas routines, as slots in with the daily routine nicely.
Where it really comes into its own is if you are completely unsure about what to do, where to start and what to feed and in what amounts. It is so straightforward and comprehensive I would highly reccomend it. It also accounts for the milk intake of a baby each day and how it may change with the introduction of solids. It also allows for weaning at 4 months, 5 months and 6 months taking into account the new guidelines for 6 months. Whether you like Gina Ford or not, if you want your questions answered about the challenge of weaning this is the one to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chill out, Gina Ford!, 17 Mar. 2004
S. Barker "sallybarker2" (Lincs, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book based on all the five-star reviews. I've got a ten year old and didn't use a book to wean him, but felt less confident with my four month old daughter, so thought I'd give this a book a try. I read through it when it arrived and just felt it all too regimented and strict. I know not all babies are the same, but it was all about exact timing and not about the fun of introducing your baby to the enjoyment and delight of food. Some of the book is invaluable, yes, but the stuff about if the baby takes too much solids at l1am it will affect the next milk feed made me feel terrified of giving her too much of her cube of carrot in case I threw her whole feeding regime into turmoil! Gina Ford needs to relax just a tad, I think! Food is a pleasure of life and your baby will develop as and when they need to, this book makes it all just a bit too serious for me. As long as you give them healthy organic food in a sensible manner and not rush them, surely that is a good introduction to solids? My ten year old loves food, vegetables included, and I put this down to a relaxed attitude to healthy eating and not a strict timetable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worried about weaning? Don't be - this book is fab!, 27 April 2009
L. Collins (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I received very limited advice about weaning from my Health Visitor - she said "wean your baby at 6 months" and that was it! I am the type of person that like a bit more information and guidance than this! I had already bought The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting and The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and Toddlers and was confident that Gina Ford's 'Contented Little Baby Book of Weaning' would help me out. It did just that.
I had no idea about the amounts of food that I should be aiming for my little one to eat and no idea what foods I should offer and when I should introduce new foods. I firmly believe that good eating habits begin right at the start of eating solid foods and I wanted to ensure my little boy became a good eater. The weaning guide gives you day by day guide of what foods to introduce and the amounts. It has guides for introducing solid food at 6 months and also if you have to wean your baby earlier that the current guidelines. In addition to that there is useful information on different meats, vegetables and fruit, roughly what age to introduce them and how to prepare them. This information would be particularly useful if you decide to to stick exactly to the guides.
There are also excellent recipes for each of the 3 stages of weaning and suggested menu plans for the 2nd and 3rd stages of weaning.
As well as all the above there are questions and answers about weaning and information of the daily requirements for milk for all 3 stages of weaning to make sure your baby has all of his nutritional needs met.
I used this guide to help me wean my little boy. He is now 10 months old and eats his food chopped up and will eat almost anything from roast dinner to thai curry!!!
You don't need to follow Gina Ford's routines to use this book, but it does fit in with her suggested timings for meals. A friend of mine who does not use Gina Ford's contented baby routines raved to me about this book and how good she found it.
If you are at all worried about weaning I recommend this book. I also recommend The Gina Ford Baby & Toddler Cook Book: Over 100 easy recipes for all the family to enjoy as the recipes work well alongside the weaning guide. Also The Contented Child's Food Bible is another fantastci source of information on feeding your child until the age of 6 that is a great companion to the Contented Baby Weaning Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guide - if you like detail, 5 Sept. 2006
M. de Lange (UK) - See all my reviews
I found Gina Ford's Contented Little Baby Book far too rigid for my liking when my daughter was born (she is 6 months old now) and stayed well away. A more relaxed approach to life worked far better for us. That said, when it was time to introduce solids, her Contented Little Baby Book of Weaning was spot on - I really wanted a guide for exactly what, when and how much to introduce, and she certainly delivers ... which just goes to show that you do not have to be an all-singing-and-dancing Gina Ford devotee to appreciate her advice in specific areas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 25 Sept. 2008
Like many people who have not read her books, I approached a Gina Ford book with caution - but the things said about her writing are not borne out by this book. I found it very useful as a good guide to when and how to introduce solids. The recipes are very quick and easy and my baby likes them. As with any advice book you need to apply your own common sense and not get hung up on following it to the letter. I had started weaning my baby and was all at sea with when to give her food, how much etc and this book has set me straight. I would definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, 13 Dec. 2009
Mrs. Sarah Gill "Harah21" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
I found this book extremely helpful when starting to wean my little boy, from the age to start, the best time of day to it and also the food groups to use and moving on to really good recipes. It was imperative that I started my little one off in the best way with healthy home cooked food and this really helped.

Some people don't like the Gina Ford regimented style but I think as long as you take what you want from it and are relaxed in your own approach this can be a really helpful buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent must have for weaning!, 14 Mar. 2008
Laura J. Latik (Morocco) - See all my reviews
As a first time mum how else are you supposed to have a clue how to wean and baby happy and healthy??? This book is simple to follow, easy to read and gathers great information and advice into one place for easy reference. The day by day guide was great and really helpful in the days when thinking is something you just don't have time for! My son eats a great diet based on this book and the recipes in it. Contains summary of weaning advice / info, day by day weaning guide and great recipes.