5.0 out of 5 stars My permaculture must have!
As an apprentice on the Diploma in Applied Permaculture Design and a Gaia University Associate, no other book has come close to the amount of times I have referenced it as much as Aranya's guide to the design process.

Published on 3 May 2012 by WildHeartPermaculture

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, not what it says on the tin
This book was not at all what I was expecting about design. Most of the book is dedicated to 101 on project management and team building. There is very little on actually on design, I would expect a lot more examples so very disappointed.
Published 18 months ago by wittybear

5.0 out of 5 stars My permaculture must have!, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)

I was fortunate to receive a pre-printed copy as part of a diploma support event I had attended with Aranya. Ever since I have continued to go back to the pages time and time again.

Aranya goes through the design process in a beautifully clear way - no other permaculture textbook really comes close to its logic and practicality. Always backed up with real life examples, Aranya brings the design process alive.

Whenever I've felt lost in a maze of analysis - whether its designing for my smallholding or for the community projects I organise with - Aranya's book helps me to get the process straight in my head. The flowcharts, key questions and design tools all help me to organise my thinking in a way that I can get the most out of the design process.

As a permaculture columnist for Positive News, I also get sent a whole lot of books to review for my permaculture pages. This has been one of the most useful books I have had to review in the job to date.

If you are new to permaculture, or you are completing the diploma or even if you are an experienced designer - get this book! It is a must and one of the most useful texts in the permaculture toolkit to date!

Even if you've never heard of permaculture before, make the most of these tools to help re-design your life or projects you care about, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Permaculture design brilliance, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)
Hurray! Aranya's long called for book is finally here! There are many design techniques in permaculture, and this book explains them all in easy to understand steps without compromising on any complexity. With a logical format, it has many mind maps, flow diagrams, lots of examples of Aranya's own designs and diagrams throughout, it is illustrated beautifully. It also contains lots of colour photos to accompany the informative text. This book is a must for beginners and experienced permaculturists alike. As the back of the book says, owning a copy really is like having an experienced permaculture teacher at your side.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplifies and guides you through the Permaculture process., 9 April 2012
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)
Having been on a Permaculture Design Course (Aranyas in fact) I needed something to guide me through the process in the real world. Something that would condense 90+ hours of tuition into a form that I could take with me to ensure that I use the best tools and techniques for the project in hand.

This books breaks down the process into small easy to follow steps written in simple text with diagrams, photos, drawings helping you avoid potential pitfalls and clarifying your goals.

Whether or not you have done a Permaculture Design Course or are completely new to Permaculture I would recommend this book to you as a reference that you will turn to time and time again.

Tony (Small Holder and grower of over 17,000 trees)

5.0 out of 5 stars A hands on Designer's handbook, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Permaculture Design: A Step by Step Guide (Kindle Edition)
Having trained and worked as a Landscape Architect and a Permaculture Designer I find this book a welcome companion as I tackle my latest projects. This book sits on the table next to me to dip into when I hit blank moments. I particularly like the photos, diagrams and flowcharts. Even though I have a great relevant background, I think the design process can be complex and daunting. Aranya breaks it down into accessible pieces. The book can be read cover to cover or dipped into. And can fit into a bag or a big pocket!

Aranya gives generously in his teachings and contributions to Permaculture. This book is packed full of comprehensive information and practical tips. It is a real gift to the Permaculture world.

If you are new to Permaculture I would recommend a different book to start with. If you want to do Permaculture Design, this is written for you.

I recommend this book to all designers land, building or otherwise. Especially beginners and experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Permaculture Design, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)
This small book is perfect for anyone who has done a pdc or is thinking of doing one and plans to take their designing beyond their home garden or pdc project and it sets a great example as it was clearly designed using the 80/20 principle itself fulfilling the principle that "each important element has multiple functions"-it takes the reader through a step by step guide to each stage of the design process and nicely fills a very important niche in the permaculture book shelf. It includes some great tips & tools, high and low tech, around observing, mapping, placement etc and even includes a section on non-land based designs - if you want one and are serious about the ethics of permaculture contact the author and purchase a copy direct

5.0 out of 5 stars positive permaculture, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)
My thought process and views are based on an evolving knowledge of Permaculture and appreciation of nature, which began its adventure in 1992 with my subscription to The Permaculture Magazine. Frequently feeling isolated and alone in my aspirations, the magazine has been a great support, reminding me that I am not alone in my dreams and ambitions for a different future. Aranya's book I feel, will become my new trusted and supportive friend! Thanks! It has even rekindled the desire to further my permaculture journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teaching Design, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)
First of all, it's a fun book to read; easy format, font and language usage (especially for someone who's mother tongue isn't English).

The book is more about general Design rules and how to teach designers to become teachers themselves, applied on Permaculture.
Don't expect him to hold your hands via the book, you have to grow as a person by reading this and make your own decisions.

Anyone who is interested in broadening their mind on gardening and the design thinking that goes behind it should read this book.

The only down point is a lack of in-depth information, raw data examples for instance but this would make the book a lot bigger and uncomfortable to carry around.

Enjoy reading it! I had a blast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for!, 2 July 2012
R. Woodisse (Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)
Most of the other reviews have said much of what I feel about this book, it really is that good. I have been wishing for a book like this for ages, there are many books out there on Permaculture design but mostly based in Australia or the States and it is great to have one from a British author.Aranya's style is very down to earth and very readable. Suddenly things from my Design Course are starting to click, as the design process can be difficult at times, but this makes it much easier to break down and understand. You won't regret buying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars MARVELOUS, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)
Although intentionally small in physical scale, for portability, Aranya's book is HUGE in terms of inspiration, clarity and enabling creative designs. Drawing on years of experience and teaching permaculture, Aranya offers a clear and accessable design pathway and tool kit to support any design process. Deeply rooted in the ethics and principles of permaculture, this practical and inspiring design guide is a must have.
Let this little book become a big part of your life. Buy it, use it and make a difference in the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great basic steps, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Permaculture Design (Paperback)
Well explained, briefly but sufficiently to get a good understanding of planning your garden. A good hand book for those who want to start their own garden or want some new ideas.