4.0 out of 5 stars First home cinema system
I'd often thought about adding a surround sound set up to my front room and when this came up in the Black Friday promotion I snapped it straight up.

Arrived promptly, very well packaged, all speakers colour coded for easy setup, just about enough cable on the surround speakers but could be an issue in a larger room.

You will need to purchase a HDMI...
Published 16 months ago by Will

3.0 out of 5 stars Only for smaller living rooms
Published 9 months ago by Gemma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars First home cinema system, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sony BDVE190 300W 3D Blu-ray Home Cinema System (Old model) (Electronics)

You will need to purchase a HDMI cable to connect to your television, an additional optical cable to connect a Sky box or a PS3 and an ethernet cable to connect to your router for the web services, or purchase the Sony wireless LAN USB adaptor.

Did a test run with inception on Blu-ray and the sound and picture was mightily impressive.

Have not yet tested the online features due to lack of cables but did run some downloaded files through the usb socket on the front, with no issues.

All in all, very pleased with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only for smaller living rooms, 2 July 2013
Takes a long time to turn on, there is an option to reduce the time but it means the system is on all the time. The fan can be quite noisy but if you have the sound on at a reasonable height then you can't hear it. The cables provided for the back speakers were only just long enough and our living room is quite small. I wouldn't recommend this system for a larger room anyway as its not the loudest but it is great for our room. Sound quality is good, perfect for the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent 3D home cinema system, ideal for smaller rooms, 21 May 2012
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As far and away the best item I've ever received through the Vine Programme, it feels perhaps a little churlish and ungrateful not to give this system a glowing 5-star review. For the sake of objectivity though, I will imagine that I had forked out my own hard-earned for this system. So here goes with my musings.

In terms of the hardware, all of the components are very straightforward to connect together. The main unit is pretty sizeable and hefty at 17 ins (43 cm) wide but quite attractive with its gently sloping front. The speakers even have colour-coded plugs, so you can't go wrong making the connections. A couple of issues sprang to mind at this point though. First, the speakers seem quite light and flimsy. The satellite speakers are black fabric-faced plastic and the sub-woofer is passive and made from rather cheap-looking mdf, again with a fabric front. More annoyingly, and unfortunately like most other home cinema systems, the rear surround speakers do not come with enough length of cable to allow them to be located effectively behind the listener's position. If you intend to run the cable under a rug or carpet for example, you will certainly need to buy some more cable and do a bit of splicing. OK, so with all components in place, onto the software side of the setup/configuration process. Have to say that I found the user interface not the most intuitive. This, coupled with a slightly chaotic looking remote control, made the setup quite fiddly and I am still tweaking things three days after initial setup. The unit is only supplied with a very brief quick-start guide. If you need to access the full user manual (and I did), you can download the PDF file from the Sony web site.

But onto the performance. DVDs are upscaled pretty effectively - my copy of Mad Max III looked not far-off Blu-ray quality. Unfortunately though, DVD playback is locked to region 2 (or at least until some kind person posts the multi-region code!) Normal 2D blu-rays look great (I couldn't resist watching 'The Fall' first) and 3D blu-rays look absolutely tremendous (I treated myself to Tintin to test this system out). The only slight proviso is the sound. I already mentioned that the sub is passive and as such is never going to rattle your windows, but the overall volume level is not that impressive and quite frankly is a bit wimpish compared with my other LG home cinema system. As a secondary system in a smallish room (or if you don't want to annoy the neighbours), the Sony should suffice, but don't expect it to fill a large living room with 5.1 audio or "blow you off the sofa" as the advert claims. Unless it's a loud, action type of movie, you'll probably need to have the volume level cranked up to at least 30 out of the maximum 34, so as not to miss any dialogue. Another slight quibble is the scrolling text matrix display on the front of the unit, which I found rather faint and not easy to read in a bright room. No big deal though - if it were brighter it would probably be a distraction. The optical digital interface is a very welcome facility and means it's easy to connect your SKY box or similar device to enjoy true surround sound from your TV. The LAN connection was easy to configure, worked first time and offers you services such as BBC iPlayer, Youtube, Lovefilm, Netflix, some sample 3D trailers and firmware updates etc. The Internet browser also works fine, although some web pages display a little oddly and any text input is constrained by the mobile-like virtual keyboard, so it's not an ideal solution for everyday browsing. Although the wireless LAN capability is prominently advertised on the box, the required USB LAN adapter is not provided and will set you back a further 50 from Sony (although you should be able to find a cheaper alternative).

To summarise, as a freebie through the Vine Programme, I am absolutely delighted with the Sony BDVE190. Had I forked out my own money however, I would have expected slightly better audio performance and would definitely have chosen a system with multi-region capability. If someone can come up trumps with the region-free DVD hack, then I will happily award 4.5 stars!

**** Update ****
Now, several movies later, I noticed that sound from the right surround speaker seemed muffled. On inspection, I detected a rattle, as if the speaker itself were loose within its enclosure. I phoned Sony's tech support line, but was told that unless I could prove (like how???) the speaker was defective when I opened the box, then I was on my own and would have to pay for a repair. Bit disappointed by the rather off-hand customer care.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bedroom beast!, 24 Sep 2012
I got mine 15th June, so I was a little surprised when I came on here to review it and noticed a price drop! Though I got "Harry potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 & 2" thrown in for free as I purchased before a certain date. Harry Potter isn't my type of thing, but I have family who love it. To start off I have to say you should only buy this if you're putting it in an average sized room - unless you want to manually extend the cables yourself. Very easy to set up as it's all colour coordinated. On-screen setup is easy too. My TV is a Sony Bravia, so as it has a Sync function for that which makes it pretty great as I can just use the Blu-Ray remote most of the time. The picture quality is fantastic. My previous player was a Sony BDP-S470 and it easily matches that. I don't fuss around using all the live services, so I can't tell you about them. The main prpose I have this setup is for watching films. As for the sound I'm very pleased, very impressed. The subwoofer is really, really beefy (loads of bass) which I'm happy about as it doesn't have it's own power supply. I was expecting less and I got more. Go, Sony! The volume goes up to 35 - which is ridiculous lol. You can easily give yourself a headache watching a film that high. The sound is fantastic, I can finally see (hear) why people go on about TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio etc etc. Having sounds pop up all over the room, like I said I've had this since the middle of June and I still look around and smile when something comes from a different direction. These systems tell people two things... One, TV stock speakers are terrible for films. Two, Like myself, others won't go back to 2CH sound for their films. There's two things people might not like about the sound settings. One, once you've set your levels, distance etc for the speakers you can't adjust them unless you go back to the player menu - stopping the film. That's alright for DVDs as they resume playback, but not a lot of Blu-Rays have that feature. Honestly not a problem for me. I've had my speakers on the same settings since I first set it up. No need to change them. Two, as the subwoofer has no power supply, this easily saves power, but you can't adjust it once the disc goes in and starts loading. Like before you have to go back to the menu. This doesn't bother me as volume and bass should be equal or it won't sound right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of Kit, 13 April 2013
i bought a Sony dongle a while back but my tv didnt have a usb port but my bluray does so plugged it in and now i have so many channels all free BRILLIANT and im in a flat so dont need anything too loud this is perfect for my needs

4.0 out of 5 stars Great core functions, missing some details, 19 Jan 2013
+ very nice upscaling for DVD;
+ good interoperability with LG tv and compliancy of HDMI ARC functions;
+ reads FLAC files (renamed to MP3);

- no random/shuffle function;
- speakers quality could be better (the same for the sub-woofer);
- long startup time (overcome by some advanced standby feature, though more power consuming);
- a little bit noisy, but noticeable only if there is a quite scene.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Sound, 21 May 2012
Mr. D. J. Brindle (Prestwick, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm fussy when it comes to all things audio as I've probably mentioned in my previous reviews but, having not long ago purchased a swanky new 50" plasma TV, it was with great joy I got to review a home cinema system to go with it.

The Sony BDVE190 duly arrived is a deceptively small box and I underwent the process of unpacking everything and assembling the required stuff to get the kit up and running. It was during this process that I noticed, like the other reviewer, that the build quality on some of the speakers included here is a little flimsy. Not a major criticism, and nothing that should really concern the average user. I suppose Sony have erred on the side of sleek and light, but I like my sound kit to be a little more substantial, as that usually means it's got more grunt.

Attaching the cables to the right places on the sleek and sloping Blu-Ray/cinema unit was made much easier by some clever Sony colour coding although I quickly became frustrated again when I realised how short the cables to the rear speakers are, as the other reviewer has again mentioned. I'm not sure who designs these systems but I can only presume it is someone with a front room the size of a small bathroom. I'm sure the cables can be replaced, and if you're serious about sound you'd probably do that anyway, but for someone with a large room who wants out of the box usage I'd proceed with a little caution.

Importantly, the system once connected (and you've you've navigated the overly-feature-filled remote) does sound good. There's plenty of bass, but it is not overpowering, and dialogue is crisp and clear with no hisses or pops. The BDVE190 handles music well too although again, if you've a large room you probably want a system with much more presence and oomph. For the average bedroom or living room though, this does more than enough. The unit also has several audio modes which replicate the listening experience in a stadium, concert hall and that sort of thing and these were good to play about with, although in the most part just distracting.

The included blu-ray player is of the quality you'd expect from Sony. It upscales normal DVDs very well and handles Blu-ray and 3D films with ease, producing a clear and sharp picture.

The BDVE190 is internet ready. Whilst you can't connect wirelessly unless you buy a separate dongle, if you connect a standard network cable to the back of the unit you can use BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Lovefilm and a few other services and apps that I didn't really play about with too much. The internet features work well and if you don't have a smart TV, this is certainly the next best thing.

Finally, the BDVE190 has a built in FM radio with 20 presets. With the included antenna I picked up the usual stations easily and again, the audio quality was good. Not altogether convinced that an FM tuner is a big plus for this unit, but if you wish to use it, it's nice to know that it works well.

All in all then, this is a really, really good out of the box solution for those that want quality 5.1 sound in a small to medium sized room without too much hassle of shopping around and without too much expense. It sounds good, has plenty of features and is easy enough to connect together.

On the down side though, the slightly cheaply constructed speakers and the lack of real power and grunt to fill large rooms might mean serious 5.1 aficionados with big tv rooms looks elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 25 May 2013
This is one of the best value purchases I have bought the picture and sound quality are superb.Highly recommended.Excellent product

4.0 out of 5 stars It ain't hi-fi, but it's fun!, 20 May 2013
Mr. C. Burns (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I bought this at 149, as a replacement for a 10-year-old Sony DAV S550. Richer Sounds do it at 129 at present, but the Amazon returns policy swung it for me .

I "needed" it, because my Panasonic BD110 blu-ray player has an annoying lip-sync problem playing sound through the optical input on the S550, and I thought this annoyance would go away with a blu-ray player and integrated 5.1 amp. It’s almost gone, but not quite perfect. To these ears, the sound quality is the same as he S550, although the speakers supplied with the DDVE 190 are plastic and lightweight compared to the robust S550. The latter’s speaker are of MUCH higher build quality, and the amp, I suspect more powerful.

Back to the BDVE 190. It doesn’t like any old speakers (like Mordant Short compacts or Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs, each 8 ohms nominal) being connected in place of the supplied speakers. Turn the volume up past 30, the amp cuts out and a scary “PUSH POWER” message appears in the display. I think it must be very sensitive to overload, and the impedance of the speakers must match fairly critically with the originals (3 ohms, except the subwoofer, 6 ohms).

It’s cheap, and I couldn’t find a better 3D Blu-ray 5.1 system at the time of writing (May 2013). Four-star fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SOUND, 21 Dec 2012
Bought this on Black Friday deal. Easy to set up colour coded leads. leads longer than expected only had to add extra length to one. Sound quality amazing kids love it. Really happy with this product would recommend. Also included in package was offer from Sony for free Dvds sent it off not really expecting to receive anything but they send me New Spiderman Dvd in blueray 3D and spiderman trilogy dvd so really pleased. Not sure if this offer in all packs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›