4.0 out of 5 stars Great as always
Published 15 months ago by Mr. N. Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good News these are Black and not Blue, buy from Amazon.
Published 5 months ago by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Good News these are Black and not Blue, buy from Amazon., 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Etymotic Research Balanced Armature In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Control and Mic - Black (Electronics)
Sold By Amazon (no third-party phew!) You'll see a drop down box for these which states Blue or Black if you select Black you'll notice it's for a different 1-Button pair - so make sure you leave that box checked for "Blue" and go with the colour on the title "Etymotic Research Balanced Armature In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Control and Mic - Black" if you're after the HF3 in BLACK.

Okay the HF3 aren't bad but I have to disagree with the "Accurate Bass" in the description, sure I can get a good seal which gives me a little bass but it's just not enough and it's certainly not accurate, I have plenty of Studio Monitors that are accurate which have 10 times the bass these do and they're very neutral (MDR-7506, MDR7509HD, HD25-1 II).

The etymotic design here is triple flange (the same as you buy from a chemist or a hardware store) except they've had a hole drilled though them so you can hear what comes out of the single - yeah single balanced drivers in each ear, you get an assortment of other fits included.

Sadly the triple flange are only provided in a small and medium - there is no large pair as I don't think Etymotic makes. The best people with large ear canals can do is use the grey foam provided which is great but only lasts around 2 weeks before you have to hunt around and buy replacements - if you can find genuine ones that is, in the UK it's not easy, I don't really like that Brita, Nespresso kind of lock-in model.

For comfort and at around the same price point I'd totally recommend the Klipsch X10i which I think are the most comfortable In ear headphones around, all ear canals are oval shaped and Klipsch unfairly owns the Patent from 30 years ago for "Oval" earbuds, the x10i have a slightly warm tone and they have bass - yeah bass! not Bose / Beats overexagerrated artificial bass, but more like Shure SE535 Bass - something the HF3 just doesn't have, if you're a musician - bass player/drummer one listen with the HF3 and you'll wonder where your sound went, I'm certainly not a Klipsch fan but I think the x10i is the better buy here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great as always, 4 April 2013
Mr. N. Bell "n99" (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I have used Etymotic products for a few years and think they are great. Not cheap certainly but always the best sound quality, for my non-audiophile ears anyway. Recently I tried another couple of headsets that were rated well for Android and cheaper but the sound quality disappointed. Others always seems muddy compared to Etymotic. I really wanted a 3 button control for my Android phone but the only one I found (NOCS brand) does not compare to these for sound quality. So I keep the NOCS now for rough use and use these Etymotics for best.

For info they ship with a carry bag, some different ear tips, 2 spare filters and the filter insertion tool. The carton sadly was not designed with the environment in mind, more with making it attractive for retail.

The only other minor complaint I have is the high cost of non-USA shipping for items bought direct from Etymotics - which is another reason to use Amazon :) But its a flaw they could easily solve as most of their headphone accessories (which I have also bought) are very small and light. With a little effort they could get their non-USA shipping fees down to a reasonable level and then users would be more likely to get filters, accessories etc - which you can't get on Amazon - direct from the Etymotic online store.

I should also mention I got these as I lost my last set - they did not wear out. I find they are quite long lived, which is fair given the price. I did need to replace the wax filters once or twice in my old set when the sound in one ear failed, but this is as designed.

So if you have not tried this brand give it a go, you won't be disappointed. Given the high cost you might need to have a cheaper pair for rough use. And Etymotic, reduce your direct shipping fees and go more green with your packaging and I will make the 4 stars a 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for an old pair of Shure e2c, 29 Nov 2013
I've been using a trusty pair of Shure e2c earphones for the past 7 or so years and decided they were due for an upgrade. Whilst the sound quality is still excellent and they're undamaged, I decided I wanted a headset with a microphone for use on conference calls.

The Etymotics are a great replacement, they're much lighter weight in feel than the Shures, but feel adequately solid. The cables are thinner and they're less noticeable to wear.

Sound quality is great, I've had no issues with the quality of the microphone when using on conference calls both with Skype and normal mobile calls. They're comfortable enough to wear all day and the sound quality is excellent on music as it is on calls.

5 stars from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great - build quality leaves something to be desired, 1 Jun 2014
The headphones sound absolutely fantastic and the isolation is great. You can put these on and the world around you disappears and all you can hear is your music - great for commuting!

The sound is very neutral, which I really like, it's not bass-heavy so if you're a fan of pumping bass you may want to look elsewhere. I prefer to think of it as the sound is as the artist intended.

The microphone and three-button control work on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook exactly as intended - just like an Apple headset.

The build quality does concern me, I had to return two sets before I got a working one. Full credit to Amazon for sorting it out quickly though. The first set I got sent had a crackle coming from the right earbud, and the second set's right earbud barely worked at all. I've used Etymotic products in the past and never had a problem so I'm hoping this was just an isolated incident.

But they really do sound great and I do recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a couple minor issues...., 28 May 2014
K. Dickinson (UK) - See all my reviews
The MC2's are great earphones, no doubt about that. Sound balance is amazing. Sonically, the spectrum is very flat so you don't get any bias towards bass, mids or treble. If you want tooth rattling bass, look elsewhere. If you want accurate reproduction, these could be for you. Just two minor things though. First, they could do with being a little louder. I find myself cranking up the volume on my Nexus 5 fairly high with these, compared to my old Beyerdynamic's. Second, getting these to fit right and create good isolation is trial and error. I persevered with the triple flange tips, but found they became quite uncomfortable. The "gliders" won't last long, and I'm not a fan of faffing with foam ear tips either. In the end, I bought a "comfort fit" kit (via Amazon), and use the double flange tips . These are way more comfy, and seal more easily. So one star lost due to needing a bit more volume, and perhaps softer silicone tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality earphones!, 27 April 2014
Bought these earphones based on a friend's recommendation and no regrets!
Once inserted fully in ears, they cancel noise and project high quality sounds without over use of bass or treble. Have used other brands like Klipsh, Seinheisser, Sony, etc and these are definitely top for quality!

5.0 out of 5 stars Etymotic Excellence, 8 Mar 2014
This pair of HF3's replaced a pair that I had lost. The sound quality is great and the style of the ear buds really helps to keep external noise influence out.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 13 Jan 2014
as long as you push them right into the ear canal they are brill, sound is fantastic, controller is in the correct place but have to admit they become a bit uncomfy after an hour or two

4.0 out of 5 stars Great in almost every way… but quite "polite", 17 Oct 2013
Partly, I'm sure, this is because this is my first experience with balanced armature driver 'phones, but although I cannot fault the performance in most ways I do find these just a little recessed and lacking in excitement. Just a personal thing I guess, but I crave a bit more physicality and dynamics.

Having said that, on acoustic material they are amazing. Vocals are delicious, strings very real.

Rockers should maybe look elsewhere, but you probably knew that.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic headphones, 13 Dec 2013
My third pair (they last about 18 months- 2 years I find.) They are very clear and the noise isolation is excellent. They're not the ones to get if you want thumping bass, but if you like precise, fast, plangent sound they are great value.