Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.47

on 14 January 2016
I only read a small part of this book and what I read did make sense. However, in hindsight it probably wasn't the best purchase I've ever made.

The problem is that when you have a baby when do you really get the chance to read a book? Especially a book of this size. If you do get the chance to read then you must be a parenting genius, in which case you won't need this book anyway, but it may be wise for you to write your own book in order to share the secrets of your success!

Basically what I learnt in a nutshell is don't expect your baby to sleep EVER. There is always going to be a reason for them not to sleep - teething, growth spurt, learning new skills blah blah blah! If anything it just makes you realise that sleep deprivation is something you have to learn to live with for a very long time!

Sometimes it does make you feel better to know that you're not the only one who's child doesn't sleep, so you may get reassurance from reading this book.

Perhaps dipping in and out of sections that are relevant to you would be a more realistic approach than reading the whole book - it's a big book and your child will probably be a teenager by the time you finish reading it. Unless you have childcare, but let's face it, you'll probably prefer to catch up on your sleep if you get some child-free time rather than read a book, especially a book which reminds you about how exhausted you are! Or you may prefer to have a nice hot fresh cup of tea which hasn't been reheated 5 times in the microwave. You could even drink the whole cup. Wouldn't that be a novelty!?

It made me feel better buying this book but to be honest it didn't really help anything. You'd be better off saving your money for coffee and energy drinks.
on 20 April 2015
Having downloaded the app I was expecting much more detail in the book. Although, It is '.padded out' with additional information I did not feel it was worth the money. Also, the research sample is pretty small and all opinions so not sure how reflective a sample it is. What it dues do is gives reassurance to explain why your baby may be having a dhfficult time, which as a ftm is helpful.
on 1 September 2014
I was disappointed to find this book was mostly made of quotes from people's experiences, rather than a scientific explanation! Bit hard to follow and jump in and out of.
on 4 April 2016
I cannot say what a life saver this book has been throughout the 14 months of parenthood I've so far had. I found it was really hard in the first few weeks, and then my husband suggested I pick up the wonder weeks book to look in that to see if any of the behaviour my baby was exhibiting was stipulated in there. I did nearly throw the book at him when he suggested that (when do you have time to read in the first few weeks of a newborn???!!) however, when I did finally pick it up, I was so glad I did. It reaffirmed his behaviour and helped me to understand it. I've recommended this book to countless pregnant women, or women with new babies since. I know you can also download an app, which may help and be more accessible to read during the 2am night-time feed perhaps? I should add that I had postnatal depression too; and this really helped me. Obviously it didn't directly combat the depression, but it helped me understand why my boy was being fussy; why he was clingy, and gave me a relative time frame for how long it would last; this helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Suddenly it was no longer a never ending thing; there was an end in sight; and actually I could rationalise it much better. I could understand as best I could what he was going through and how distressing it must have been for him. It also helped me to look out for the things that changed after the developmental leaps; it gave me ideas of games to play with him etc... I really do recommend this book over any other for any parent to be, or new parent.
on 3 December 2010
This book gives an amazing insight into the development of babies and toddlers and has helped me to become a more understanding and as a result happier mum! I recommend it to all new parents!
on 1 May 2016
This book is scarily accurate. Every time my daughter became fussy or was having an 'off' day it seemed to correspond with a 'wonder week'. Knowing why this was happening (and more importantly that there would be an end soon) really helped to keep me sane!
on 25 October 2014
This book was recommended to me after I was concerned my little one seemed to be regressing in terms of sleep and had me questioning if I should keep breast feeding or look to start weaning as he seemed fussy and unsatisfied. Reading in The Wonder Weeks about the patterns of fussy behaviour that trend before a developmental leap helped me understand what my baby was going through and gave me the confidence to carry on doing what my instincts told me. After a week (made much easier by the awareness of what was going on as the book explains) my little one was back to his usual happy self and started showing off his new skills by rolling and blowing raspberries!
on 30 April 2016
This is the best baby book I have bought. It's so interesting and really helps you understand the mental and physical development of your baby. Suggestions on how to make the most of the new skills your baby develops is also really useful
on 8 June 2015
An interesting read, rather than just putting everything down to growth spurts the book gives a lot more insight into developmental progress and how to help it.
on 31 December 2014
Every new mother should own a copy of this book . It helps to know why your baby goes weird and also know how to stimulate her . The book is brilliant