Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 25 January 2013
I lost interest in this fairly quickly. The parents endlessly quoted in the book seem to be very irritated by everything their children do (eg really annoyingly wanting picked up....'needily' wondering where you are going).

I have a 12 month old and he gets cross when he's tired, when he's teething, when he wants something he can't have, when he's over being in the car seat, when he's bored, when he's hungry, when he's sick, etc. How could you ever tell its a 'developmental leap' that is causing it? You can never seperate out the other factors (which I believe in some types of research are called the confounding variables....not this type of 'say what you see' research though).

Of course babies develop and become clingier as they understand more etc, and 'regress' when they are sick/ unhappy/ teething.... I just don't see why its a movement with a 'pay per view' website. I'm sure it was an interesting PhD/ post-doc to do and read (if you put his name in google scholar he started off the research looking at chimp behaviour....and then 'found' the same in baby humans) but this is not 'fact' its just an interesting 'interpretation' of behaviour he sees in front of him. Great for a break from nap and feeding chat but nothing much else for new mothers.

Anyway, my son doesn't get on my nerves as the babies in the book seem to their mothers....I find my sometimes cross, mostly happy, dreadful sleeper, very busy little boy to be mostly a facinating joy..... But i suppose if your baby makes you angry alot maybe this would be a good book....I suppose a good 'take home' message from it could be 'your baby is not doing it (crying, following you etc)out of badness/ to make you angry'....? Its good for that I suppose
on 4 February 2015
To see that it's a "development leap" and not a permanent fixture in black and white is a massive relief! Some of the personal comments are very comforting, but also slightly unnerving but the breakdown of the developments are brilliant! It helps you to get your head around what is happening and how to work through it helping the little ones to develop their skills and imagination. A definite must for any parent or care giver for under 18 months.
on 5 June 2014
Just can't believe how many things I read I found familiar with what's been happening with our baby... I could have ticked off all the things it commented on without me actually realising until reading it how relevant all those changes and signs were to us as well! It has really put my mind at rest knowing that all those seemingly unusual things are actually normal development changes... I have been recommending this book to all my mummy friends too...!
on 15 September 2012
I bought lots and lots of books to help me understand my baby's development (I am a scientist so want to know exactly what is going on), and this book is the best by far. It is excellently written, provides in-depth information and also tips on how to support your baby when it goes through its developmental leaps. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand their baby and the changes he or she goes through. Best purchase all year!
on 9 September 2014
I have no idea how parents parent without this book. It has helped us really understand our son's development and enabled us to be patient and understanding through the distressing brain development leaps. It has been especially useful as our son was born two months prematurely and the wonder weeks explains that a baby's leaps are based from their due date. Excellent and I recommend the book and app constantly to friends.
on 30 June 2014
I really like some aspects of this book, in particular the reassurance about what the fussy periods are about, when they're likely to come, and what games are age-appropriate to help build new skills. However I particularly dislike the almost exclusive focus on the role of the mother in rearing the child, and I find the descriptions of fussy behaviours in each chapter repetitive. I also wanted to know much more about what each leap really means developmentally - the summaries are pretty short and I didn't feel they were explained all that clearly. Glad I paid for the Kindle edition rather than the much more expensive paper book.
on 19 June 2014
I bought the books with possibly too high hopes but in the end I am quite disappointed.
The book is useful in order to understand that little ones go through different phases and growth spurts. Obviously the authors can't tell you exactly when they occur, so all weeks are possible 'wonder weeks'... Each time they describe how you can recognise one of those special periods: fussiness, sleeps poorly, doesn't want to be changed, cries more... (and each time they obviously are more or less the same things). Then it gives tips about toys and games and explains briefly and very very simply that developmental stage (sometimes I also think that they are not describing accurately babies' physical developments at certain stages). The book is full of quotes from parents describing their children behaviours, again pretty boring and repetitive. In the end I don't think 460 pages were necessary to tell that during some periods babies have growth spurts and can be fussier. Given that the authors are PhDs I'd expected more accuracy and a scientific approach to the topic.
on 25 October 2014
This book was recommended to me after I was concerned my little one seemed to be regressing in terms of sleep and had me questioning if I should keep breast feeding or look to start weaning as he seemed fussy and unsatisfied. Reading in The Wonder Weeks about the patterns of fussy behaviour that trend before a developmental leap helped me understand what my baby was going through and gave me the confidence to carry on doing what my instincts told me. After a week (made much easier by the awareness of what was going on as the book explains) my little one was back to his usual happy self and started showing off his new skills by rolling and blowing raspberries!
on 8 July 2014
I loved using The Wonder Weeks to help explain why my child was being so difficult! It really helped me understand what she was going through. I found the timing was slightly off at times and she would go through her leaps earlier than they say but that aside if you are interested in understanding how your child is seeing the world then read this book. I also got the android app.
on 10 October 2014
Absolutely brilliant book - a friend recommend it, but I didn't quite believe it could be true. However it was absolutely spot on with when my daughter did developments leaps, plus helped us play/support whilst going thru a leap. It was amazing seeing her change and increase her understanding after each leap. The book is intelligent but easy to read (even when sleep deprived!)