on 30 December 2012
I have had an ambivalent relationship with the work of Andre Norton over the years. My favourites have to be the "Witch World" series and although I have read others by the author this is my first real in-depth look. Most of this collection is science fiction with several characters reappearing in different novels. Many of them seem to involve landing on alien planets and dealing with the problems the humans have coping with the indigenous life. Others involve a kind of "Time Tunnel" to visit past eras of Earth. On the one side the Americans are trying to preserve freedom (after their fashion) and on the other, the Reds are competing for resources in alternate time lines with the ultimate goal of controlling the Earth. At the end of the collection are some historical fiction which were not really my cup of tea.

Although a little dated scientifically, having data tapes etc., the stories still hang together well and the ideas in them have not dated. I liked the idea that people should be of the same racial stock and be trained to live in the same way as the people of the time they are visiting. None of your Tardis translating everything and getting by on charm and cheek in these stories. It's action all the way and I found all the stories to be compelling reading. My own tastes run more towards H. Beam Piper and O. A. Kline but how can you gripe at getting so much for so little, only slightly more than the cost of a second hand book at a boot sale. Highly recommended and very easy to navigate with the contents menu.

Bill "Sock Puppet" Fox
on 12 April 2013
Just some old stories but good ones. I bought this for my Kindle it was cheap just to get use to it, but I was soon into the book and would read one short story before going to sleep. I only gave 4 stars because they are old stories but for the cost and the easy download and the pleasure I got from this book it might be worth 5.
on 26 March 2013
It was years since I had read any Andre Norton books and it was lovely to remember how well she wrote. Many of the titles were familiar to me, but the bonus content was the 3 "westerns" and a mystery story, which were completely new. Excellent value for money and highly recommended.
on 11 March 2015
the grande dame of fantasy and of science fiction...provided stimulating, thoughtful and well written texts for 50 years or so...thank you, thank you, where ever you are...some of her stuff is better than other things, but they are all worthy of being read and loved...keepers all of them...pivotal, seminal, respectable, glorious, fantastic...thank you!
on 31 May 2013
I tried Andre Norton out as there was a free Kindle download available for his (well her actually!) book "Star Soldiers". If anyone enjoyed that they will certainly enjoy this megapack as it contains stories very much in the same vein as that book (it actually contains "Star Soldiers" and also the sequel to that novel). Yes, as some have said, the fact that some of the technology is slightly outdated for a current audience, the theme of nuclear war is rather recurrent and the predicted length of time any resultant radiation remains lethal to humans is much longer than we now know, all very much reflect that these stories were written in the fifties and sixties. Having said that they are damn good stories and very well written. I now want to read some more recently written novels (writing as Andre Norton she was a prolific writer and there is a good catalogue for me to try and catch up with!).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2012
Andre Norton Rediscovered

I read Andre Norton in the 60's from the local library and she has not lost any of her appeal-with the depth of description to draw you into another world of adventure and challenge
on 17 December 2012
A really first class selection of well written material, still alive with plots and storylines from 60 years ago. Excellent read, good value for money.
on 10 April 2013
I started reading Andre Norton as a boy, I enjoyed it greatly then and I enjoy it now. Ideas, adventure and great stories, a great read for boys of all ages.
on 23 November 2013
A selection of classics by one of my favourite authors when I started to read Sci-fi in my early teens. This megapack includes other genres, helping to show Andre Norton's versatility. And delivered straight to my Kindle account thus giving me a nostalgia trip wherever I am
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2013
Very good value, writing is dated, but reminiscent of childhood reading. Thoroughly enjoyed this! Had to recharge Kindle twice to get through it!