In this very short book which can easily be read in one sitting, Della Galton recounts the story of how she rescued stray dog Lindy and her thirteen puppies from a beach on the Greek island of Rhodes. After getting them all to a nearby animal sanctuary, Della and her husband flew home. It was only a couple of weeks later that Della decided to bring Lindy to England - she was unlikely to be re-homed in Greece and was facing a death sentence.

Della Galton exudes warmth and compassion in her writing, and a little humour here and there. Her passion for animals and especially dogs shines through and I soon fell in love with Lindy and Della's other rescue dogs.

Lindy lived with Della and her family for eight years in all and this book is indeed a celebration of their time together. Lindy faced many hurdles over the years - hence the title of 'The Dog with Nine Lives'. After encounters with herds of cows, cancer and almost drowning amongst others she really did use up nine lives, and who knows how many more she'd used before she met Della?

A wonderful story, beautifully presented with some lovely colour photographs, this will appeal to any animal lover, not just dog lovers. It would make an ideal stocking-filler present.
on 1 March 2013
I have just read this book about Lindy and want to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I have 5 rescue dogs myself - and have often been upset by seeing the stray dogs in other countries but never even thought of doing anything more about it other than feeding them. The lengths Della went to to help Lindy and her pups was awe inspiring. I was so moved by her story.

Della's story of Lindy and her other dogs brought tears to my eyes and reminded me how precious my own dogs are to me.

This is the best book I've read in so long - a big must for dog lovers - though may bring a tear to your eye if you've ever loved and lost a faithful friend.
on 11 March 2013
My five beautiful children and my two beautiful shorthanded German pointers got me a kindle for mothers day, yesterday! This was the first book I purchased and will always remember that special day. What an amazing lady and dog and its nice to know that there are people just like myself who love pets with. unconditional love. My 10 year also read this book and we have both laughed and cried. Thank you for sharing such a lovely story and keep up your good work.
on 4 February 2012
Have just finished this book (in 2 days) a true story well written. Made me want to go and get a rescue dog myself. Gave a real insight to how much love and joy a dog can offer when given a chance. A must read for dog lovers everywhere. Extremly well written it will make you laugh and cry but well worth reading.
on 16 November 2010
This is a heart warming story of the rescue of Lindy, a stray wandering on a beach in Greece. A book that will make you smile and cry, sometimes at the same time! Beautifully written with just the right balance of sentimentality and humour, I thoroughly recommend this as an ideal gift for any animal lover.
on 12 November 2010
This is a wonderful little book which tugs at your heartstrings throughout. It tells the true story of a courageous little dog who was lucky enough to be rescued by a loving family and the adventures and obstacles they faced together in the years that followed. By the end of the book Lindy will well and truly be in your heart. A fantastic gift for anyone with a passion for animals and suitable for young and old alike.
on 1 February 2013
What a great little book, please take the time to read this! Its only 120pgs which I read in the bath(had to top up the water twice!) As the owner of two dogs I found myself nodding and laughing at the antics and having a tear at other more poignant moments. Recommend a read. Thoroughly enjoyable : )
on 11 August 2013
There are special people in this world, this lady is one of them. A heartwarming story of a wonderful family looking after unwanted dogs. There are tears in my eyes as I'm writing this review, long live the type of person who are able to do this kind and selfless job.
on 23 August 2013
Another well written, enjoyable dog story. The lengths some people to go to save an animal is amazing and I take my hat off to Della and people like her. Thank you also for giving it away for free! I feel a bit guilty not having paid for it because it was so good!
on 7 September 2013
I must be a soft touch

I loved the book and the tales of rescuing a little lost dog - together with her adventures throughout her life.

A lovely easy read, guaranteed to make you laugh, cry a little - but certainly smile.