5.0 out of 5 stars astonishing
I recently had to travel over 200 miles for a specialist scan. The journey required us to have a 2 night stay in a Premier Travel Inn, so I packed up my portable DVD player, some DVDs and my new Rokono mini speaker (pronounced "Rok-ono").

Published on 6 Jun 2012 by Su

3.0 out of 5 stars MonsterBass vs X-Mini II
I purchased the X-Mini II a week back and was so impressed by the performance. Imagine my surprise when I read the the MonsterBass speaker reviews here which all seemed to rate this speaker as having better performance and bass. I had to order a couple to make a comparison.
Published 21 months ago by Col

5.0 out of 5 stars astonishing, 6 Jun 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rokono BASS+ Mini Speaker for iPhone / iPad / iPod / MP3 Player / Laptop - Black (Electronics)

It was my first time trying this little speaker, though not the first mini speaker I've had. My previous speakers had all been AA battery powered, and all of them had poor sound clarity and poor volume.

My little Rokono speaker came in its own case which means that it could travel safely with me.

I opened the box, took it out and looked at the tactile black ball, which is smaller than a tennis ball.

I discovered that you twist the two halves slightly in order to open them up, you then plug in and turn on the speakers and hit play on your machine.

The sound that emanates from that little speaker ball is amazing. It was incredibly loud and the clarity is incredible. Of course I was in a room in a Travel Inn at the time and not expecting anything like the volume had a moment of panic ... I didn't want to wake the entire place.

There is an added volume control on the side of the little Rokono, which also helps tweak the sound.

It says on the box "for use with: mobile and personal devices like mobile phones, personal audio players (eg, i-pod, mp3, etc), computers and game devices (eg, DS). So when I returned home I decided to try it out on several more devices.

My desk top computer did not come with speakers so good portable speakers are important to me, and these are good speakers. I had to build a little platform at the side of my computer tower because the 3.5 jack connector is on the Rokono is very short (about 2.5/3 inches in length).

I enquired and a gentleman called James at Gadget Hunter told me that 3.5 jack extension cables are available but not, as yet, from them. I did a search and there are a number available on Amazon and they are quite cheap. I'm not necessarily technology minded, so sometimes it's better to ask than to assume not.

The sound that emanated from my little Rokono speaker was stunning.

I tried it on my DS but the cable is too short to play comfortably, hence the need for an extension cable. However, I must say that the sound from the DS is remarkable the tinny little tune from my Plants vs Zombies theme sing is now clear and full of sound tones and pitch rather than the plinky sound that I had grown used to. I was truly astounded by this sudden increase in quality.

If you want even more sound you can link several little Rokonos together in a chain - something which I hope to be trying in the next month or so.

My old portables speakers were quite expensive and extremely tinny in sound, but this little sensation has none of the tin tone just crystal clear sounds. For the first time I could clearly hear the voices and the background in the DVDs rather than having them as a merged mass of sound. Using the little Rokono I didn't need to have the subtitles on in order to know what was being said.

Audio books' narrations were given a depth of voice that I had not previously experienced.

The old tinny speakers used to last an hour or so on 4 AA batteries, where as the Rokono has a 10 hour replay time from a single charge, saving me a significant amount. I simply plug them in to the USB port and let them charge while I am working on my computer, so that when I need to use them they are ready to go.

I can't express how impressed I am with the little Rokono, I never expected anything like that kind of sound from something so tiny. I can't recommend them highly enough.

*** UPDATE ***

Fortunately, the manufacturers have listened to us consumers (if only they all did!) and they now include an 80 cm extension cable so using my DS, etc is much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars X-Mini II Vs. Rokono BASS+, 7 Mar 2013
There are a few key differences between these two products:

Packaging + Accessories: The packaging for the X-Mini is a plastic tube, the packaging for the Rokono is a card box. I prefer the card box as it feels and looks expensive like when you buy a high-end mobile phone for example, I definitely wouldn't feel embarrassed about giving the Rokono as a gift.

Another nice feature is the 3.5mm extension cable which comes with the Rokono speaker, it's something which isn't included with the X-Mini, so you have to buy one or just use the standard short cable in the bottom of the speaker.

The Rokono speaker also has a splashproof carry bag, which is great for taking your speakers away with you; the X-Mini has a velvet carry bag - not so great for travelling!

Appearance: The Rokono BASS+ has a silver and red logo, the X-Mini's logo is incorporated on to the top of the speaker. The Rokono speaker opens with a twist of the middle of the speaker and closes with a satisfying click, the X-Mini open by twisting the two halves of the speaker and closes the same way.

The Rokono is noticeably a little bigger than the X-Mini, I think this helps with sound reproduction as I will go on to explain.

Sound: The important question and there's not a lot in it to be honest. Both are surprisingly loud with good bass response. I think you would find it hard to tell them apart if you were blindfolded. I think the Rokono is a little louder however and this could be because of the slightly larger size.

Since reading about these two speaker after purchasing them, I have found that the X-Mini has suffered from a reduced quality in production recently and there are numerous stories about them failing very quickly. Of course the Rokono speaker has not been for sale for as long as the X-Mini so this could be why.

Sum up: My preference is the Rokono Bass+ speaker. In my opinion, it looks more stylish, seems to be a little louder, the packaging looks better (more expensive), the 3.5mm audio extension cable and the splashproof carry bag are nice additions.

This is my humble opinion of course, I hope it was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unbelievable amount of sound (particularly bass) from such a compact little speaker..., 13 May 2012
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Length:: 3:06 Mins

The 'Rokono BASS+ Mini Speaker' (formally the 'Monster Bass Mini Speaker') from Gadget Hunter is a compact (and good lord do I mean compact) portable speaker that can be plugged into almost any audio device such as an iPod, iPhone, Laptop, PC etc. Once plugged in and turned on, the speaker quite literally pumps out the sound, really embracing the depth of bass and giving out a surprising amount of volume considering its wee size.

Don't get me wrong, this little beauty can't reproduce crystal clear sound with all the warmth and depth of a set of well-chosen Polk Audio speakers. But that's not the idea here is it? What we have instead is a quick and simple little plug-in that allows the user to suddenly fill the room with music using a speaker that's not much bigger than the average clementine. A party in your pocket if you like (ahem...).

For bass, as you'd expect from the name (BASS+), this miniature beast really works overtime. The deep deep bass is noticeably magnified...and then some, with plenty of extra oompth put behind the lower notes to really magnify its position in the music. Yeah, not exactly for everyone's day-to-day requirements, but when you've got a party vibe going on, or just want to crank it up a little, then this little devil is very possibly the answer.

It's easier to use than a bar of soap - simply twist to open up the speaker system, turn it on, plug it in, and away you go. There's a volume dial located on the base of the device, as well as a funky little blue light that lights-up when it's on and/or fully charged. Furthermore, whilst charging, the light goes red to let you know that it's drinking its electrical juices - so just leave it to it for a bit!

There's a small little lead actually secured to the underside of the device which can be used for linking multiple Rokono BASS+ Mini Speakers together to quite literally multiply the sound if so needed. On the included video you can see that I've linked up both a black one and a red one. The resulting magnified sound is pretty darn impressive - the video footage obviously not capturing the sound reproduction at all.

So what do I think? Well, quite frankly I love it! It's super small and lightweight, but still manages to blast out one hell of a sound, it looks funkier than Lenny Kravitz on a night out, and once fully charged it can deliver up to ten hours of music. It can also run off its USB lead if you don't want it to run down its (rechargeable) battery life.

Now in its third reincarnation, all the small niggles that came out in the wash with the speaker have now been ironed out. There's an additional 80cm 3.5mm audio extension cable included with the product to allow for extra distance between your device and the speaker, as well as a pull-tie splash-proof travel bag. Nice!

One final point (for all the metallers out there) - by way of an oh-so-scientific 'bass' test, I tried the 'Rokono BASS+ Mini Speaker' out on Heaven Shall Burn's track 'Combat' from their album Invictus (2010) to see how it handled the brain haemorrhaging bass explosions. Oh yes it delivered! In fact it managed a good two seconds down the sliding depths of each bass-mushroom-cloud before even it lost its way to the plummeting explosion of bass. But I have to say that the little speaker has been one of the best (portable) performers that I've tried out on 'The Test' so far.

PLEASE NOTE - This product was supplied to me for free for a 100% unbiased review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini subwoofer!, 19 Aug 2013
So, I was in 2 minds about purchasing this. I was in between a vibration speaker and the XMI X-mini II. However, I saw that them two speakers prices were a lot more dearer than this little boom-box! So, I read some reviews and in order to save myself around £20 I took the plunge and bought this. Firstly, hats-off to amazon, super fast delivery as usual.

Straight out of the box the speaker itself was charged and ready to go. I plugged it into my phone and pumped it up to 50% volume and put a bass-heavy song on. Oh my god, this thing blew me away! The sound quality of this speaker first off is amazing. No distortion at all. Then, comes the bass. The bass which this thing produces is crazy, the speaker vibrates! From far, the bass is very balanced with the treble and the speaker performs amazingly.

Recommend this to anyone, whether you love bass, or you just want it for reading Kindle books. You'll never want to go back to using a phone speaker, however, I must admit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rokono rocks the X Mini everytime, 6 Sep 2014
About 18 months ago I purchased an X Mini speaker which was the best thing since sliced bread, I took this on my 18 month trip around the world and could not have asked for anything better. It recently broke so I replaced with an X Mini straight away, however couldn't help but notice the quality had gone down, both build and in sound. I returned to the manufacturer thinking there must have been a problem as my first one was so good, they replaced it with the same terrible speaker.

I then bought one of these and can honestly say this is as good, if not better than my original x mini and by far a better speaker. For the size/price this is worth every penny. Do yourself a favour and buy this over other portable speakers, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little product, 27 May 2014
Really happy with this product. I've been using it for teaching and it's perfect and easy to use. So much better than using my big, heavy CD player. Now I just have all my songs loaded onto my MP3 and use this speaker with it. Perfect and very good quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain speaker!, 4 Oct 2013
Cool gadget- not audiophile or anything-it wouldn't be at this price.
The overall sound is good,and perfect for listening to the radio or background music.
Overall a great bargain,and lovely compact design.

3.0 out of 5 stars MonsterBass vs X-Mini II, 7 Jan 2013
I'll keep this short as i'm a man of few words. This is only my personal opinion, Each speaker has it's own pro's and con's. The MonsterBass has LESS bass than the X-Mini II but better midrange. The X-Mini II has better depth. I will also say the build quality seems better on the X-Mini II.

There, I said i'd make it short...

If you want music quality with less bass buy the MonsterBass

If you want more depth and bass buy the X-Mini II

Hope this help's somebody.. It was just what I was looking for when trying to decide. For me the X-Mini II wins as I want depth. Just my 2 pence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant little speaker, 23 July 2014
Absolutely brilliant little speaker.Could not believe the reviews i was reading before i made the decision to buy it. But believe me when i say that this little speaker(no bigger than a tennis ball) is as good as it gets for its size. I have initially bought it to connect to my Tablet for when i do workouts in my shed as its loud enough to drown out traffic noise. I am already considering buying another one if not two as there is a extension wire for you to be able to connect as many as you want together. I thoroughly recommend these to anyone .

5.0 out of 5 stars Rokono Mini Speaker, 14 Aug 2013
Great product for the price. It produces great sound at a good volume for its size. Would certainly recommend to anyone wanting a small speaker for Ipad/Ipod.