4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping trim...
Published on 31 May 2012 by techpuppy

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost there, but...
On the face of it this looks like a great all-in-one product. I already have a Remington clipper but faffing around with different combs for different lengths does get to be a bit tiresome, and then I need to use a different unit to do more precise trimming and shaping. This Braun device looks like it does everything.

And it does everything, although still...
Published on 24 May 2012 by Aaron C Reskew

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping trim..., 31 May 2012
techpuppy "aka stylepuppy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Braun cruZer 6 Beard and Head 3-in-1 Trimmer and Clipper (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been keeping a close crop on my own hair (what's left of it) for a while now and I've amassed quite a collection of hair clippers, plus several stubble trimmers, over the years. This Braun cruZer is the first combination device I've tried and I was a bit concerned that while trying to be both a stubble and a hair trimmer, it might fall between the two stools and be good at neither job.

A previous complaint with both stubble and hair trimmers was how sharp and spiky the clip-on combs often are - you sometimes feel like you're dragging a fork across your face! Kudos to Braun for completely avoiding that issue and making the combs on the cruZer with rounded and comfortable ends, they're really a pleasure to use. The two combs are easily swappable but held securely onto the trimmer whilst in use. They're adjustable for different hair lengths, the stubble comb goes from 1~11mm and the hair comb from 10~20mm, and each 2mm variation locks into place so the comb doesn't slip halfway through a swipe and turn your quick trim into a crew-cut! If you'd like a short 'day-after' stubble you can remove the combs completely and use the bare trimmer to achieve that. The sliding mini-trimmer is a really worthwhile addition and allows very precise trimming. For stubble trimming the cruZer is probably as good as it gets, my previous favourite stubble trimmer was the BaByliss i-stubble but the Braun is just as good and comes with the mini-trimmer as a bonus.

As a hair trimmer the cruZer is less successful but still worthwhile. I've previously found cordless hair trimmers often struggle with thicker or longer hair, they just don't have as much brute cutting strength as a mains clipper does, and this holds true for the Braun cruZer too. However, if you still trust your crowning glory to a proper barber then the cruZer would be a perfect way to keep things neat and tidy between visits. It's not a bad hair trimmer but if that's the main reason you were considering buying a cruZer then I'd suggest looking at a dedicated mains-operated trimmer instead.

As you might expect from Braun the overall design is excellent with great ergonomics, it feels good in your hand and is easily manoeuvrable in use. There are a couple of slight negatives : the mains adaptor is built into a two-pin plug on one end of a short curly cable, just like a shaver, and that would make trimming your hair while plugged into the mains quite awkward. Also the cutter head is (cleverly) hinged onto the main body of the clipper which makes cleaning it easy, just pop it open and brush out the shavings, but also means it might be difficult to replace if it ever wears out. Note that the blades are stainless steel, rather than ceramic, and need a few drops of the supplied oil occasionally. The whole set packs neatly into the zip-up bag supplied and feels like it comes from a company that really knows what they're doing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost there, but..., 24 May 2012
Aaron C Reskew (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

And it does everything, although still misses in a few places. It's good in that there are two combs - one works in increments from 1mm to about 10mm, the other from 10-20mm. The first is great for trimming my beard and eyebrows if they get a bit bushy, and since it did well enough there I trusted the device to try trimming my hair. There, too, it worked well.

It does lack tapered comb attachments which are useful for trimming above the ears but that's not really a big deal. It has a built-in precision trimmer which works but is a little on the small side, especially as the larger blades aren't great for trimming close to the skin (i.e. the equivalent of a fairly close shave).

Finally the appliance comes with a very chunky two-pin plug. Since this is a cordless device (i.e. you can charge the battery and then use it without the power cord) this is a real pain. It means I can't charge it without faffing with adaptors, since I don't have an electric razor socket in my bathroom. I'd have thought a couple of adapters to make it readily useable in the UK and US, or at least in the UK (the target market in this case) would have made it far more useful at a trivial extra cost.

Update, 19 July. Downgraded to two stars. I've found more and more it leaves my hair tufty and I end up using my Remington to do the job properly. The Remington was only £20 so it's not like I'm comparing a cheap product to a top-end one. I've also found that this unit set to 12mm leaves my hair a lot longer than my Remington set to 12mm with everything fully extended. For good measure when trimming my beard it's often left me with rough edges that itch, so I end up using the Remington to fix those as well. So on balance I've gone from liking this unit to figuring it kind of does the job, but not all that well. I've gone back to using the Remington, and this Braun now does my eyebrows and not much else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel, 22 May 2012
uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this might be a good way of downsizing my gadget collection since it does both beard clipping and hair trimming. The clipper itself is 7 inches long, one inch longer than regular beard trimmers and a similar length but narrower than regular hair clippers. It comes with two clipper heads, one for beards and one for hair. The clipper blade is the same size as a regular beard trimmer but the clipper guard is larger and more cumbersome. Although, arguably, both clipper guards are safer since they cover the entire clipper head, unlike some trimmers and clippers. This cuts down the possibility of an accidental nick. The clipper blade is half an inch smaller than regular hair clippers.

The hair clipper function has six lengths and clips hair to between 10 and 20 mm in length. The beard trimmer head also has six lengths and trims beards and sideburns, from 1 mm to 11 mm. This means that you can clip from a range of a number '1' through to number '6' (3/4") on the traditional hairdressing clipper scale, but no longer. It will not trim shorter than 1 mm. There is precision tool which is intended for fine detailing of beards. I would recommend reading the instructions and studying the Amazon product description page which seems to give a clearer, more detailed illustration on all the functions.

The clip itself has a slightly clunky plasticky feel when compared to the small digital beard trimmers available. However, it is aimed at the 'cool young dude' market and is great for a first-time beard and hair trimmer. The mechanism is as simple manual ratchet. As for hair clippering: it takes longer then using a regular clipper because the head is smaller. It's fine for a weekly tidy but it's a bit more hard going if you're in the habit of doing a major cut once a month or so. I find because the figurehead is quite small, it tends to get quickly clogged up with hair and I have to keep clearing the hair of to carry on with the clipper in. For beard and sideburn trimming I found the larger clipper head slightly more cumbersome for the purpose but it does the job. The precision tool works well on fine detailing of beards and trimming eyebrows.

Unlike my hair clipper and beard trimmers, the charger is a continental style two pin plug, which is a bit aggravating since you have to find yourself an adapter before you can plug it in to charge. And you have to remember to take one away with you if you're travelling. Since you're not likely to be using it in the bathroom from the adapter, it would be nice if they could have stuck a three pin plug on for the British market like my cordless beard trimmer.

One feature I do like is that to clean it, there is no more messy fiddling about with brushes. You can just run it under the tap. It's water resistant.

If you like your hair and beard short, you're on the move a lot and you want to travel light, this would be a good option since it does does the job and makes for a great piece of travelling kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good trimmer, 11 Sep 2013
I have just trimmed my bear with it but it seems to be a good trimmer and clipper. Good price too...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 17 July 2013
The product (CruZer 6 beard & head) looks good, is a nice weight and has a good feel about it when it is operating. Unfortunately it does not live up to its initial promise. After 3 months, the hair comb lost one of its blades and now the battery runs down really quickly - so it ends up tugging your hair our rather than cutting it. I contacted Bruan and was given a website to organise a service, which although free - means I will be without a shaver for an indeterminate amount of time - so I may as well go back to the shops!

2.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't got enough brawn. Doesn't cut it., 7 Jun 2013
This is one of those products that looks too good to be true, and is. While pretty small and convenient, this product feels lightweight and ultimately lacks the power to do a decent cutting job on my (mixed-race) hair. It could well be effective as a beard trimmer - I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it out, but as a head trimmer, the narrower blade on this thing, combined with the low overall power of the set mean that it's very difficult to do anything resembling a decent, even number 1.5 all over with it. It might be ok, for fine detailing and styling if that's your thing, but if you're looking for something to use to cut your hair on a regular basis, I'd save your money on this and invest in something with a wider blade and more power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 30 Sep 2012
German subsidary of Gillete, Braun is known for their grooming, oral and health care devices. First thing to strike my mind is quality of the products they sell. They are pretty good for their price point.

Out of the box: We have got manuals to tell how to use and maintain it. Also has cleaning liquid in a small bottle and a wee brush to clean the blades.

Two interchangeable clipper heads, one for beard and another for hair with different gradients. Of course the trimmer and the corded charger. A pouch that can hold pretty much everything that comes out of the box.

Review: This little trimmer does the job pretty well. This works on both wet and dry hair. I wouldnt recommend washing your face before trimming though. Pre-shave powders are worth a try if you find it difficult. Trimmer is washable, but be very careful. Use the cleaning liquid on the blades once they are dry. This will really boast the life of the product.

Trimmer has a great build quality. It is some sort of rubberized plastic and looks very sturdy. Clipper heads doesnt look so strong though.

The results are great and I believe it is different for each individual. I have pretty thick facial hair and worked great.

There are no settings to meddle with except for the gradient levels.

Apart from the main trimmer, there is smaller pop-up trimmer for precision styling. All the blades are made of stainless steel.

There is a charging indicator light and its pretty handy.

Downside: Cordless charging dock would have made this product really great but looking at the price I wouldn't consider this as a downside.

Verdict: This when bought from amazon works out cheaper than many other online or normal stores. For the price point, if you are looking for a product that does only beard trimming, this is an interesting option to choose.

2.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable beard trimmer but rubbish for hair., 21 May 2012
doublegone (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm less than impressed by this trimmer and expected far more from a brand like Braun.

It comes with a choice of two guards - one for beards and one for head hair. The head hair guard's lowest setting is 10mm. Thats preposterous. Most people who would cut their hair at home with one of these would have a crew-cut/skinhead affair as it doesn't require any skill to finish off any fiddly bits. But these clippers don't even come close to that short a cut. The beard trimmer guard allows for this but I found it clogged up and was impossible to use easily on my head. I was left with a very lumpy looking barnet. The edge defining tool which pops up is also not in a good place to use and feels rather awkward. Philips do much better trimmers than this.

Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gift for the boyfriend, 2 Feb 2014
I bought this for my boyfriend as a gift and even now after so much time he still loves it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad, 30 Dec 2013
The trimmer is effective and quiet to use. It fits neatly in the hand and the adjustments allow a good selection of hail length options.
The only reservation is that this trimmer has a fairly short battery life and needs charging quite frequently