5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide, straightforward and concise, 31 Aug. 2013
I bought this on kindle with the idea of seeing if it would work well as a guide I could recommend for my creative writing class, and found it was packed full of useful information. If you want to know how to polish your work so that it meets the requirements for publication or the discerning reader, this is a great start. Helen Hollick is a well-respected historical fiction author, so this works particularly well if historical fiction is your field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical advice for new - and not so new - authors, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Discovering the Diamond: A guide to writing and getting published from a bestselling author (Kindle Edition)
Helen Hollick and Jo Field have produced a concise, easy-to-read and very useful guide to writing and editing fiction and and preparing it for publication. It only takes a few hours to read, and its packed with useful advice and examples. New writers who are considering self-publishing their work, eiher in printed form or as e-books will find it invauable.

The book is divided into just six chapters, and I found the chapters on writing tecnique and editing especially valuable.

I am a self-published author, my work is a family memoir rather than fiction, but I found everything that Helen and Jo had to say was equally relevant to my chosen genre, and I wished I had had this advice before I published my book.

I have no hesitation in recommending this book to new and established authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for all aspiring writers, 24 April 2012
Debbie Young "Debbie Young" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This little volume doesn't cost much and won't take long to read (I finished it on a long car journey) but that small investment is very worth while. It should be compulsory reading for every aspiring writer. Like the diamond in its title, it's compact but valuable, drawing on many years' first-hand experience before the empty page. Although Helen Hollick is now a successful and popular novelist, she's not too proud to share mistakes that she's made in the past and generously allows us to learn from them - and from her triumphs too.

Although primarily aimed at novelists, this book contains many pointers relevant to non-fiction writers. All the advice is imparted in a friendly, supportive manner that make it very easy to access and absorb. Even the most defensive authors who bridle at the thought of anyone editing their work will be gently persuaded to hone their work until it shines.

I love the title and its implication that underneath your rough rock of a book there is a diamond lurking, if only you are prepared to spend long enough polishing it. Discovering the Diamond will soon become dog-eared on many an apprentice writer's shelf through constant reference. It is in itself a gem, and a polished one at that.

4.0 out of 5 stars A text book for the aspiring writer, 20 Nov. 2013
Hiraethus o Gymru (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Anyone thinking of entering the field of literature with a view to becoming a writer would find this book invaluable, since it cover most, if not all, the techniques and pitfalls involved. Invaluable advice on presentation, style, characterisation, and marketing the completed work, including self publishing, comes from a successful and acclaimed author who has been there and done it. This book is a fascinating read, giving an insight into a complicated field that so many people of all ages fancy trying their hand in. Who knows, it could open the door to a new career in this time of sparse employment opportunities, in particular for university graduates having difficulty in using their talents..

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this to aspiring writers., 10 Jan. 2014
I found this book, "Discovering the Diamond", really useful. Some books I've tried are so full of technical data that I struggled to understand them. I already had a basic knowledge of writing, but there is so much conflicting info out there. This is ideal. Easy to read and understand, with clear examples and tips which I needed to know. Furthermore, it comes from an established writer, so the proof of the pudding has already been eaten, lol. So glad I read this BEFORE I published. It means I can present my book with more polish now. I shall definitely be reading it more than once, to try to ensure I retain what I've read.

I recommend this book to any aspiring writer. It will help to add polish and good presentation.

By the way, Amazon appears to be trying to add both a full stop and a comma to my title. I have tried deleting the comma, I've tried rewriting it - nothing will remove that obstinate comma!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 1 Sept. 2013
L. M. Wilson "korcula blue" (Redcar, Cleveland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this excellent book for my Kindle and found it so useful. There are a lot of changes going on in the publishing of books and Helen and Jo have given us such a helpful guide to all the ins and outs that aspiring writers in particular need to know. It is cram packed with so much of interest, not just about publishing in but writing too. It is well worth every penny. I too love the inspiring title as it is truly a diamond among "how to" books. I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips galore, 14 Aug. 2013
A very worthwhile addition to every aspiring writers bookshelf; tips in this book can save hours and hours of unproductive effort. I've been writing for a number of years and thought I knew it all but Helen Hollick's book has given me some ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book!, 14 Feb. 2013
This book is excellent, both for the beginner and the experienced writer. I cannot praise it highly enough.If you want advice from a writer at the top of her game, this is the book for you!

Linda Dent Mitchell: author of the oribliss castle series and the lizzarda lexx trilogy