5.0 out of 5 stars Race Against Time and Terror
Published on 21 Jan. 2013 by ACB(swansea)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hybrid virally altered teens with super powers..
Put aside everything you know about K. Reichs previous books.
Don't expect any typical crime solving Brennan and allow yourself to embrace her creativity in another genre. This is her third venture into the Viral series, a YA sci-fi story with Brennan's great niece as the main character.
The target audience is pre-teen upwards and is obviously an attempt to win...
Published on 4 April 2013 by Cheryl M-M

5.0 out of 5 stars Race Against Time and Terror, 21 Jan. 2013
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Kathy Reichs has written another pulsating book in the 'Viral' series. The Viral pack are back with an adventure that turns out to be a mission fraught with danger. Failure is not an option as the consequences could be potentially catastrophic with loss of lives. This all starts in a seemingly fun and harmless popular game with geocaching, involving hidden or buried objects having their coordinates posted on the internet and the aim is to be the first to find them and log the discovery on line. The pack uncover a buried box that begins the chase to solve riddles and puzzles of increasing complexity and ingenuity set within strict conditions by a well-informed anonymous figure.

This is a mystery thriller with elements of science fiction that ups the heartbeat. The interaction between the individuals Hi, Shelton, Ben and the self-confessed stubborn Tory Brennan who admits that she usually get what she wants (plus Coop the wolfdog) is again the centre of the action with their understanding and frugal use of their heightened powers. Jibes and disagreements naturally occur but consensus and common goals are the usual outcome.

Kathy Reichs develops and gradually unfolds the intriguing plot to produce an absorbing read. This, with involvement of members of the Research Institute and pupil rivalry at the pack members' school, Bolton Prep. Academy, add spice to the narrative. The tension and suspense build up to a desperate, literally breathtaking and memorable climax that has an unexpected twist. The epilogue that follows is another surprise that indicates further storms ahead for the Viral pack. A cleverly written and enjoyable read not only for young adults (who may be better placed to appreciate some of the dialogue exchanges), but also for many older readers. More to come, I'm sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trilogy?, 25 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Code: (Virals 3) (Virals series) (Kindle Edition)
Suspect this was part 2 of a series. Irrespective an enjoyable read. Could Amazon perhaps give guidance when a book is part of a series?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story for teenagers, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Code: (Virals 3) (Virals series) (Kindle Edition)
Have read all the Virals books and would recommend for younger readers.
As A keen Kathy Reichs fan it would have been more useful if it had stated that these were meant for younger readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great idea for a book, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Code: (Virals 3) (Virals series) (Kindle Edition)
Haven't read Kathy Reichs for some time. Read her book about the virals while on holiday in Egypt. Couldn't wait to get home and read more. Do feel that my teenage grandaughter would get as much enjoyment. Would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another explosive instalment, 2 April 2015
The gang is back and things are quite quiet over on Loggerhead, no-ones shooting at them and trying to kill them, but we all know that won't last for long and it doesn't. See Hi has got a new hobby, it's called geocaching, and Hi and the gang find the only geocache located on Loggerhead. The cache contains a mystery box, and inside the mystery box is the start of a game, a very dangerous game.

The gang have to follow the clues to the next locations and it soon becomes apparent that this isn't an innocent hunt, soon the gang are being put in one impossible position. Follow the rules of the game, win the tasks, find The Danger, or innocents are going to get hurt. They have no choice but to play the game, a game that's trying to kill them and those they love.

Tory and the gang have to solve the puzzles while working against the clock and keeping everything a secret, while trying to hunt down the Gamemaster. But that's not all they have to worry about, Chance is out and free, and he's on to Tory's little secret...the question is...will he work it out?

Okay, so again, this book is different to the first two books, this one was almost like a treasure hunt, but it was more intense, and more serious. The creepy "I'm watching you vibe" was very PLL and the overall vibe was quite junior NCIS or something similar. This book had a whole different levity to it with the consequences if they fail and so on, the stakes where way higher!

We got more of Jason in this book, which was interesting, as we didn't see him much in the first two books, you got loads of him and got to know him a bit better in this book, I'm still curious about him though, he still seems a bit mysterious.

This book gave us what we've all been waiting for as well.....the confirmation that Ben has a thing for Tory which was obvious at one previous point in the book, and it's all like screeching and wooing and omging, because like....FINALLY. It's now a case of what happens next....where will it go? If we do get some romance, I'm certain it's going to be secondary to the main plot, and very subtle, like it has been so far.

We got more of Chance this book as well, I like Chance, I really do, and I spent the whole book praying he wouldn't be a dick, then there was a point when I thought he was and I was like omg no but he wasn't, but he was totally shady for most of the book, and then right at the end of the book I was like dammit Chance, you're gonna be a dick aren't you?! I can't even. I want to know more about Chance, I really do like him, and I slightly ship him with Tory, not gonna lie.
His mole at LIRI is going to be interesting to watch play out as well. I hope he gets found out soon.

Like with the other books, our characters developed more, their bond strengthened...sort of, we saw more locations in the books world, and got a nice vivid image of them, the book was fast paced, just as slick and full of action, and it was incredibly hard to predict what was going to happen next. I always think I've pegged my suspect, or pin pointed what's going to happen next and I'm always wrong, and I love it.

Which is why the plot twist with Ben hit me like a truck. I did not see that coming. I thought the thing he was hiding was his thing for Tory, but no. I'm constantly shocked and surprised by every single plot twist in these books, and this was the worst so far. Like I can't even. I'm wondering how much it's going to change with his relationship with Tory, and how much it'll change the dynamics of the pack. Not to mention what will happen next with Ben himself.

I love how each book has a prologue that draws you in, and this was the creepiest one so far! I also love the little chapters in between the main narrative that are from a different POV, of someone who's a suspect, or from the bad guy, that all add huge amounts of intrigue and a nice dose of creepy.

It was interesting to see how things played out from the second book, everyone is closer, Kit now has an enemy within his own workplace, what things have changed in LIRI, douchey security for example. I quite liked Anders, I hope we see more of him! This book has taught me to be a bit suspicious of new characters, so I was mildly suspicious about him while hoping he was just a normal person haha

Now the suspense and the tension oozed off the page in this book multiple times, half the time it was like a physical thing, and it totally engulfs you. I was on the edge of my seat, nail biting, and generally freaking out when they where doing the challenges, and don't get me started on the scene under the ballroom! Couldn't put it down even if I tried.

This series gets better and better, each book brings a different element, keeping the series fresh, there was still science in this one but there was a lot of cool puzzles as well. I love how there's still more to learn about their powers, especially with the new source of info they found, and I'm always excited to see where their powers are going to take them, what new ability they'll develop, I mean Tory is all mind reader, mind speak right now and it's so awesome!

I'm very excited to see what happens in the next book, especially after the last chapter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Virals instalment, 20 Jan. 2013
g (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
***Code is the third book in the Virals series, this review may contain spoilers related to books one a two, do not read ahead if you haven't read them - its not worth spoiling them!***

As a science geek and a YA fan I knew I had to read the Virals books, I also loved Bones and have read most of Reichs adult books. A short review of Virals from some time ago can be found here, but in short - I was concerned at first that Reichs had done away with science and gone down the werewolf/shape shifter route, luckily that was not the case, instead she has woven science into a good old action book, with suspense, DNA altering viruses and old fashioned fun. Seizure took the pack treasure hunting and helped them to save LIRI but where to go from there? In comes code.

Code picks up a while after Seizure, Kit is now in charge of LIRI and the virals have set up a super-spy underground lair with solar panels, zuped up computers and other great spy type gadets to try and work out what Karsten did to the parvovirus to make it change their DNA. But before any head way can be made into that Hi drags them into a Geo-Cashing game, thinking its a bit of fun, but the game soon turns deadly. The Gamemaster has set clues that threaten lives, and its up to the viral's to find them, and solve them, before its too late.

Code is good fun, its everything good about the first too books, a bit a of a science lesson mixed in with twists and turns and good old fun. The reviews so far have all been shocked at the amazing twist at the end, but in all honesty - I wasn't surprised, there are hints all the way along, and its bound to lead to more in the future books, meaning they may take a different direction, which is always good. The story did take a little while to get going for me, the Gamemaster's challenges didn't really feel as urgent as they were meant to be until later in the book, but that didn't really matter, as I love to read about Tory and her relationship to her pack, and her constant battles with Whitney.

Overall a fun, credible, action packed read, maybe not as good as Virals, but still a good addition to the series, and as I said, I suspect it'll be a game changer for the later books. Now all we have to do is convince Reichs to get Tory her own Bones TV spin off.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Virals - Wolves, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Code: (Virals 3) (Virals series) (Kindle Edition)
Great series from the master of crime in my opinion, Tory and her friends grab you by the throat and its none stop adventure until the final word, I would recommend these to anyone who likes wolves or detective type books

3.0 out of 5 stars Hybrid virally altered teens with super powers.., 4 April 2013
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Code (Virals) (Hardcover)
Put aside everything you know about K. Reichs previous books.
The target audience is pre-teen upwards and is obviously an attempt to win over the new generation of readers. I think it will do that quite successfully and if those readers end up reading her more adult books later on in life because they enjoyed her writing then mission accomplished.
Tory is very intelligent, dominant and brash. Very much like her mother I would say. The team of virally altered hybrid shifters is confronted with a villain playing a cat and mouse game. In a very Famous Five meets shifter a la Nancy Drew type of mystery solving plot with a load of science and fast paced storyline, this is bound to entertain younger readers.
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Kathy Reichs, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Code: (Virals 3) (Virals series) (Kindle Edition)
Although classed as a teenage read, I am over 50 and I thoroughly enjoyed it along with the 2 previous novels in series. Now just hoping the 4th book will be available for the Kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, couldnt put it down, 23 Feb. 2013
Having only starting reading the series in Decembee, Code was a must have in January. Having it delivered just after it was released.

The story is so exciting, I could feel myself getting so into the book worrying about what was going to happen next and could not wait to get the the end.

This is an amazing book and would recommend to anyone, weather you are a teen or an adult, being a teacher I have recommended this to all my students and they are lining up to borrow the book.

Cant wait to the next installment!!!

Great work

Code: (Virals 3) (Virals series)