5.0 out of 5 stars good alternative to Canon 580EX
Published on 18 Oct 2012 by petermerny

1.0 out of 5 stars total rubbish
Overheats always - not just now and then and after a few months is now totally dead - rubbish - how can i get it exchanged?????
Published 11 months ago by Rod Compton

5.0 out of 5 stars good alternative to Canon 580EX, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
I am a pro photographer I bought this flash when one of my canon 580EX died and didn't fancy spending £600 for a new Canon flash thought for £120 the Yongnuo was worth a go even if it didn't last long. Flash arrived next day and build quality is fine some features better than Canon. You don't have to press a button to swivel the head. The mount shoe has a screw not a lever as on Canon so is much faster to use. It does not do high speed sync but I tend to use only manuel so not a big issue. Works fine on 7D using ETTL. I use it mostly on Calumet Pro Series radio triggers and have had no problems although would not work on a Pocket Wizzard trigger. I think the power output control is better than the Canon 580 also has audio recharge warning which is useful on some jobs. If you are looking to do multi flash jobs would recommend the Yongnuo as a cheaper option to Canon especially now they are so expensive, you can buy five Yongnuo for the price of a 580.

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs really well and for the money, a 'steal'., 4 Mar 2014
Tin Tactoo "Tin Tactoo" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
This review is based on personal experience of buying the item. Being a Canon ‘addict’ if you like as I have brought their range of cameras both still photo 35mm, 8mm cine and digital for many years plus printers from A4 to A3 and I can remember Cliff Richard before you wonder, and so I tend to buy ‘branded’ products as to me that have a certain quality to them otherwise I wouldn't have brought them!. However after saying that I was looking around for a decent flashgun to compliment my current Canon DSLR and when you come up against one of the Canon range of said flashguns that is almost the same price as one of their DSLR cameras, you tend to halt in your tracks and say to yourself – more so if nobody is about to hear you – ‘What?!’. As I was about to throw my money in somebody’s direction to get the best deal I could, and after reading a few reviews on assorted models and breeds from various makers, I settled on the Yongnuo YN565EX (oh how I would have loved it to be called something simple like the Smith 50 or the Jones 25 to make life simple as opposed to wasting so much words, figures and not to mention ink on paper in the long run.. ) based on assorted reviews, the Amazon one’s being about on the mark as it were plus a few videos on You Tube that were helpful. So I ordered one with a feeling at the back of the mind of was I doing the right thing but when it came ( and very quick from the supplier I might add ) I was quite taken by how much it resembled the very Canon model I had set my mind on but not my chequebook and after reading the instruction book, which is quite comprehensive I would say, and this does need to be read perhaps once, twice or more to take it all in as to what it does cover quite a lot with all the features, which I won’t bore you with as it quite well covered in the specifications in the main advert. It does exactly what it outlines in the specifications and does it well. I installed the batteries and mounted it on my camera and with fingers crossed, switched on and Great Joys of Joys, both flash and camera ‘speak’ to each other and in use it performs beyond my hopes as all I was hoping for was a decent but reasonably powerful flash that I can use on Manual (nothing to do with the lad who works in the local Spanish restaurant) or Auto when required and despite the size it has a nice balance to it overall. The motorised zoom head is a blessing in some respects as it moves to the setting on the lens as you zoom in, the flash does too and when you zoom out, ditto, and I would point out that while all this is going on its quiet in operation as I did not notice any clanking or whirring of gears or motors while it is doing it. The swivel head works well plus the pull out reflector board above the head is very useful. In fairness this product seems in appearance with layout of buttons, screen ( fantastic detail is displayed in the various modes on it ) to be a clone of the Canon model I had set my mind on but a third of the price of the Canon and assorted reviews elsewhere suggest this is more than by accident but there you go. I will point out I use rechargeable batteries and it seems no worse in usage as opposed to other flashguns I have used over the years. After three months of use – non professional – since purchasing I cannot fault it to be honest as it does what I want it to do, at a fair price I wanted to pay and my only gripe is the strange name and model number as outlined above. I think that about covers it as they say but overall, it is good value for money but that is my unbiased opinion based on using the item but importantly, sitting and reading the instruction book thoroughly to fully understand what it can do as this does, and can, help in lot of cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature packed Speedlight, 11 Feb 2013
T. Runham (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
This is my first entry into the external flash market for my Canon 600D, wondering whether it really would provide the improvement over the built in flash that all the reviews suggest would be the case.

I looked at the Canon flashes (mainly the 430EX) and just wasn't sure I could justify spending that much on a flash that will only get occasional use as most of my photography is sport and wildlife outdoors. So after lots of research and review reading I made up my mind to buy the Sigma 610 at around £109. The only feature this was missing was wireless but being new to this I wasn't sure whether that would be a requirement or not. I was just about to place the order when I saw this flash in the 'Other poeple purchased' section on the Amazon entry, so checked it out.

I must say it looked too good to be true - all the features of the Canon 580 for the same price as the bottom spec Sigma 610. But, trusting the reviews, I went ahead and bought it. I've only had it a week so far, so not much chance to fully explore what it can do, and certainly I have no view on reliability yet. But, the features are all there, they all work, the quality seems very good to me (although I've never had a Canon flash, so can't compare that), and it comes in a decent case.

All in all, I'm very pleased I made this choice, and with the choice of seller (Buyinsummer) who provided a very prompt service and nice follow up to see if all was ok. So both product and seller are recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Flash as good as any Canon 580EX, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
This flash is first class in every sense of the world. The build quality is excellent and the recharge time is second to none. I also use a Mecablitz 58-AF1 and the only thing that seems to be better in the mecablitz is the secondary reflector light.

It gives an annoying beep buy that can soon be switched off. I am a semi professional photographer so this seems to have all of the trimmings at a fraction of the price of a 580EX. Hardly any difference either.

A wonderful flash for your quids!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
I'd been wanting an external flash to use on my Canon 7D for a while. After a lot of looking around, I decided on this one. I haven't been disappointed. It's nicely built and has most of the features you'd expect to find on the expensive Canon external flash. Its settings and functions can also be adjusted from the camera; making it easy to operate.

If you are on a budget, or you are just getting into flash photography and don't want to spend too much, I'd recommend this flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome flash, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
Great speedlite and for the price compared to the Canon equivalent you really can't complain. Works great with my 650D (t4i) and I love that I can use it wirelessly without needing any additional transmitters or receivers (check your camera can). The 650D can also control all the flash options from within the camera menu when it's attached via the hot shoe. It even knows it's being used on a crop sensor body and auto adjusts the zoom to the correct focal length.

When using wirelessly the 650D fires the 565EX with the built in flash. Lots of people think that this will affect the exposure but the camera actually fires the built in flash before it captures the image. It all happens so fast it's hard to tell. If you are using the built in flash to light your image there is a wireless option on the 565EX to tell it to ignore the cameras ettl flash when it goes off. All awesome features for a £75 speedlite, no regrets buying this for my first flash.

It has no high speed sync so if that's what you're after then you'll have to spend a bit more on the next model up.

For batteries I can highly recommend SANYO eneloop AA, best rechargeable batteries by far and they come ready to use. I think the batteries you use in this flash (or any other for that matter) can massively change your perception on it. Don't get expensive Duracell batteries from the shop down the road, get the eneloops at the same time you order the flash. I tried the more expensive Duracells and they weren't really useable by the end of testing it on the first day. The Eneloop batts are still working way better today (2 weeks on) without even having a single charge.

Link to the batteries I bought, come with a handy case too. eneloop HR 3UTGB 4BP CASE Ready To Use Mignon Batteries white

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
I bought this flashgun to use in conjunction with a Canon 600D. It seems to do everything that the (3 x as expensive) equivalent Canon gun does. Seems robust enough and time will tell if my thoughts are misplaced! However, at the moment I am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 580ex ii equivalent, 27 May 2013
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
Excellent choice for enthusiast looking to step up a level without breaking the bank. At around 1/5th the price and 95% of the functionality of the 580ex ii it offers amazing value for money. Actually have two now, with the older one up to around 2500 activations so unreliability reports haven't panned out for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality TTL flash for £70 !!!!! Fantastic. So user friendly, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
Wow! So much better than several more expensive eTTL flashes to date. Just as good as models costing £300.
Yes, the beep sound is loud and annoying but easily turned off in the sub menu.

Build quality fab, looks the business on your canon DSLR.
So versatile , with easy position head , diffuser and bounce screen , but also easy to flash compensate even through TTL mode.
Does it all for you , if you use canon lenses, automatically zooms and sets the set f number and focal length with a clear visual display on the back LED.

I use this as my main flash with the cheaper non eTTL flash guns ( yn560) as slaves. Killer combo.

I just paid £250 for the acclaimed Metz af58-2. But in my view this YN565ex. Is just as good .

Put it this way - if this broke tomorrow , I would certainly be on line to purchase another .

Has to be the best value eTTL flash unit out there .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Flash units & work faultlessly with my Canon 1000D, 23 July 2014
This review is from: 565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon (Electronics)
Works perfect with my Canon 1000D & Highly recommend it as a flash unit with a great price compared to the canon named brand!! Will be getting two more at some stage with a couple of remotes for all round flash units would be silly not too at these prices for such good & well made units :-)..

N.