4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
There is a long-list of compilations that bear the name of this long-running soul quartet. The vast majority of these efforts show discernment in recognising that The Four Tops' best work came in their first spell with Tamla Motown (1964-1972). This cheaply-priced and pretty cheap-looking 2012 release, from the budget label Spectrum, does as well. It boasts some of their biggest and best hits from that period, including: 'Baby I Need Your Loving'; 'It's The Same Old Song'; 'I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)'; 'Reach Out, I'll Be There', and 'Standing In The Shadows Of Love'. With their powerful musical arrangements from Motown's in-house backing band the Funk Brothers, yearning lyrics courtesy of crack song-writing team Holland-Dozier-Holland, and stirring vocal performances from baritone lead singer Levi Stubbs, that quintet of tracks affirm why they were the lead male vocal group for the label at that time, despite stiff competition provided by the likes of The Temptations.

Unfortunately, there is also a lot of material missing from I Can't Help Myself that regularly appear on other showcases of The Four Tops' work, such as ballads like: 'Walk Away Renee'; 'It's All In The Game'; 'Still Water (Love)', and 'Ask The Lonely'. The inclusion of a couple of album tracks that are often overlooked - mildly diverting cover versions of Bobby Hebb's 'Sunny' and Fred Neil's 'Everybody's Talkin' - doesn't really provide suitable recompense for those omissions. Slightly more pricey selections with bold titles, such as The Ultimate Collection: Four Tops or The Definitive Collection, offer more persuasive introductions than this rather more plainly-subtitled 20 song CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Four Tops At Under Four Quid!, 14 Mar 2013
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
At under four pounds this CD has got to be the nargain of the year on Amazon.

The fabulous Four Tops were simply great.

As a die hard Progressive Music Fan back in the days I was amazed at just how good these four guys were.

Their genius shines through on all these fabulous tracks.

If you really want to know why music from Tamla Motown was so good in the sixties then this fabulous Cd is the perfect place to start.

I really envy your journey of discovery if you do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
Well there are so many great songs on this album.I could not stop dancing.Bearing in mind I was driving my little white van.Lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the tops, 18 May 2013
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
As a life long collecor of the Tops recordings this is an excellent purchase with some rarely heard tracks which are of the highest quality as you would expect from the original line up of the best Tamla recording group ever,

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite group, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
The Four Tops were my favourite group in the 60s and this CD brings back many memories. Will always be great listening to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars great not heard for years, 29 Jan 2014
ive always been a music fan mainly rock but now I love every going great to have a choice for what mood you are in thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Classics aplenty, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
I am a massive fan of the Motown era so this album is a must have for my collection. Features all of their classic hits.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent stuff of course.., 10 Aug 2014
pompeyman "pompeyman" (portsmouth) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
not many compilations include Do What You Gotta Do, which is why I bought this though it duplicated most of my 2cd best of. All original recordings and worth getting if you don't have any other compilations or are a completest like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this because having replaced most of my Four ..., 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this because having replaced most of my Four Tops vinyl collection with cds, there are a few songs on it that I didn't have.As with most collections its the same well known songs with a few not so well known included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: I Can't Help Myself: The Collection (Audio CD)
Love love Motown,love this. A good collection showcasing the talents of this super group.

I Can't Help Myself: The Collection
I Can't Help Myself: The Collection by Four Tops (Audio CD - 2012)