on 23 March 2012
This book is the sole reason I started riding motorbikes!
I am lucky enough to know the people this book is written about, I read it first while back at Uni, I'm not a big reader at all but Lawrence's writing just captivated me and drew me into the story able to fully picture the scenes and scenarios.
I just couldn't put the book down and when I had finished Gareth took me riding and taught me how! I had a bike weeks later.
Lawrence continues to write short stories of his road trips and I hope he will also be able to share those with you all as after reading this you will be yearning to read more!
on 7 August 2013
First of all I have to admit to being biased in that motorcycle travels have been a great love of mine. Lawrence recounts his tale perfectly through a diary written at the time and it shows the personal trials he went through at the time. With an 8 year old of my own I can only hope that we may embark ona similar adventure one day and this book has helped to show anything is possible. The book is a great blend of motorcycle related issues and the responsibility of parenting together and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My admiration for the pair of them is extremely high and I can only wonder what Africa was like at the time and also whether a similar route taken in this time would be possible or advised! Well done to you both and thanks for the inspiration!
on 1 February 2013
I enjoyed the book until I reached the final chapter where I felt the story ended abruptly.possible to permit a second book? This disappointed me as there was certainly more to come
on 3 November 2013
a nicely written tale about a father and teenage son upping sticks and heading off overland from South Africa for a new life in Wales on Yamaha XT bikes. You get a real flavour for the high and low points of this kind of adventure and you have to admire them for taking it all in their stride. Better than many other overland bike tales I have read. I think it is the relatively low budget, loose plans that make this much more real than some other books and one can empathise with the author as the story unfolds.
on 18 August 2014
I wasn't convinced by the diary style at first but the pages soon warm up and begin to bring the trip to life with its descriptions & honest emotion. I particularly enjoyed the paradox between the father's obvious Christian belief and values & his ability to have unchristian thoughts when pushed hard by circumstances on the road.

If you're a parent, you'll end up wanting a Gareth, if you're a wanderlust-fuelled son (or daughter), you'll end up wanting a dad like Lawrence.
on 14 August 2015
This is a book written by a person who seems to think he has a 'hot-line' to 'God' when things goes wonky. The Father and son buy fifteen year old second hand motorcycles to ride across Africa and the mechanical problems soon appear! The riding is not too bad but I found the read hard going and it did not seem worth the purchase price on Kindle.
on 6 August 2013
A journey into despair and back, via elation and depression. Ultimately uplifting and very satisfying. The XT was always going to be a poor choice, I remember going to France on a nearly new one in the late 70's and stopping very frequently as the oil was boiling in the frame reservoir!!!!
on 12 April 2015
Another interesting and enjoyable read.
I felt that I was with you during the good times and the frustrations.
I would recommend it to my son who I will be biking to Italy with later. In the year.
Thank you Lawrence, I have the Wakham Corridor ready for another good read.Dennis.

Dennis.
on 3 July 2013
Taken straight from his diary entries, without editing. I can imagine him writing it; on bad days entries might be brief but it leaves you imagining all the more how the day went. Enjoying reading it, well worth the purchase price
on 19 December 2014
An amazing journey for father and son. A good read of a very long distance tour on old motorcycles with many trials and tribulations. How the author kept his sanity at all of the red tape speaks volumes.